PDA

View Full Version : catching a relocating or making a new home for our resident blue tounge

mudski
7th December 2017, 09:18 PM
So I have a pile of blue stone blocks here. I need to use some and want to move the rest so its not such a snake hideout in our yard. The issue is a beautiful bluey lives in the pile and has been since we moved here.
I don't want to get rid of him/ her. But I need to take some and move this pile of bluestone. I had a thought if I managed to catch the bluey, I would make a new home for him in the same spot maybe with a few of the bluestones. I would need to catch it because if i just started to remove the bluestone he would do a runner under the neighbors fence and become breakfast.

So any ideas on how to do this?

PeeBee
7th December 2017, 09:22 PM
Seriously, ring Healsville Sanctuary and ask their advice. They look after a heap of native critters and would be able to advise i am sure, and it would be 'qualified advice' as well.

MudRunnerTD
7th December 2017, 11:56 PM
the Bluey will keep the snakes away. they will not co-habitate.

jack
8th December 2017, 12:11 AM

Correct, they won't co-habitate but the last two I saw together was when a brown snake was eating a full grown blue tongue.

Hodge
8th December 2017, 02:36 AM
Correct, they won't co-habitate but the last two I saw together was when a brown snake was eating a full grown blue tongue.Easy fix. Get your self a red belly black, and that'll keep the Browns and the blue tongues away.

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro

jack
8th December 2017, 09:00 AM
Haha we had a Foxie for that. I used to live between a swamp and a creek in Snake Valley of all places, always wondered how it got its name.

mudski
8th December 2017, 09:22 AM

Its more so I will be removing/ remodelling the blueys home whilst he's still in it rather than the snakes. I'm thinking of carefully removing the top pile of stones and make a new home for it next to the old pile and then just start removing the rest and hopefully it runs into the new pad.

Easy fix. Get your self a red belly black, and that'll keep the Browns and the blue tongues away.

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro

We got Tigers around here.

AB
8th December 2017, 05:58 PM
Easy to pick up mate, hand over the body close to neck and pick up.

They are good to be around your property. I would just pick him up and put him on other side of house and move the blocks carefully to see where his home is and he'll sort it out.

mudnut
8th December 2017, 06:46 PM
Get some snails and place them in and around his new home.