PDA

View Full Version : Steel Vs Alloy Rims for offroad use.

mudnut
6th December 2017, 08:19 PM
G'day, all. Here is a quick video showing the pros and cons of steel and alloy rims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWM3o2v46KI

GQtdauto
6th December 2017, 08:58 PM
Video froze near the end but I didn't hear him explain how a hot alloy being rapidly cooled in a creek crossing can affect lug nut tension and if your not on the ball could lose a wheel .
I prefer metal over alloy .

mudnut
6th December 2017, 09:08 PM
I would probably flog off the alloys and buy some steel rims if I ever upgraded to a GU.

The video played ok for me.

Majkoperth
6th December 2017, 11:09 PM
there is ronny dahl channel looks like steel is better option for proper 4wd

my third 256
7th December 2017, 09:03 AM
if you dammage a steel rim it can always be pannel beated out on the beed rim that is

mudnut
7th December 2017, 10:07 AM
I have seen some alloy rims on road vehicles, that have had their bead welded after hitting pot holes on our beautifully smooth (cough cough) local roads. Not sure I would trust the weld.

Hodge
7th December 2017, 10:11 AM
@alloysfallingoffhttp://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/12/55.jpg

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro

mudnut
7th December 2017, 12:35 PM
In other words do it up until you snap the stud, then back it off half a turn! I did not realise that the alloys rely on the stud so much. It makes sense to change out the studs periodically while running alloys.

GQtdauto
7th December 2017, 01:59 PM
In other words do it up until you snap the stud, then back it off half a turn! I did not realise that the alloys rely on the stud so much. It makes sense to change out the studs periodically while running alloys.

That's exactly the way I read it , another good reason to go Steel rim I reckon .

jack
7th December 2017, 02:19 PM
I run the alloy rims on both my Patrol and Caravan and never had an issue. In 2013 we did about 12,000km including Cape York and 23,681,132 corrugations on the PDR.
Patrol has now done 120,000+ kms, I always use a tension wrench and torque to 133nm as specified and I use the indicators as supplied by Nissan. Always check the torque setting on a regular basis and never need tightening.
We've done some pretty rough and rocky tracks and touch wood no major damage to the rims, just some minor scratches.
Maybe I shouldn't push my luck but with two sets of tyres and alloy rims I'll keep using them.

threedogs
7th December 2017, 04:53 PM
I would probably flog off the alloys and buy some steel rims if I ever upgraded to a GU.

The video played ok for me.

Do I detect a lotto win, go on go the U

Hodge
7th December 2017, 05:32 PM
I love the look of the GU4 ally rims. But considering they're 17's, tyre prices are inflated. Well they were when I was in the market for a set. So set of 16 steelies, was a no brainer. Plus its easier to find 16" tyres should one be desperate.

mudnut
7th December 2017, 06:06 PM
Do I detect a lotto win, go on go the U

Wouldn't it be noice, but no!

the evil twin
7th December 2017, 06:17 PM
My 5 cents worth... If the discussion is indeed Steel Vs Alloy Rims for offroad use then the answer is unequivocally Steel.

Alloys evolved for two reasons, one, Bling which is totally irrelevant offroad and two, reducing the unsprung weight for improved handling, high speed braking and low frequency damping which are almost irrelevant 'off road' but very desirable qualities "onroad".

Steel increases unsprung weight and the advantage of that 'offroad' is better damping of high frequency vibrations.

As far as rim damage/failures then steel is more likely to be salvageable to at least some extent while alloy is much more brittle and will tend to crack or have a catastrophic fail rather than deform.
The different expansion rates between steel and alloy aren't a real biggee IMHO but the advantage would lay with Steel if the rims are getting a lot of heat transfer from a large amount of work on low pressure tyres

MB
7th December 2017, 07:34 PM
I learnt a new word and true reasons today, thank you as always ET good man :-) I do ‘Unequivocally’ agree with your perfectly worded advice above.
I dare say my personal experiences of old with dangerous as hell alloy rims I may have used swear words like ‘poopoo’ they are and to stay well away from rocks offroad with em :-( Light cracks may be started on them whilst offroad and very well may let go on a highway home days later!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MB
10th August 2022, 10:09 PM
Best $95 Dynamic Steelies (Cheaper than ROH) per corner ever spent some years ago on the Golden Gramps GQ [emoji23][emoji106][emoji106]

https://youtube.com/shorts/gk8bKeN2ADA?feature=share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk