PDA

View Full Version : Possible leaking intercooler

Tonyg1969
3rd December 2017, 04:59 PM
Hi all,
I think I have a leaking intercooler, I've had the car since new, 2012 gu 8. 100000kms
Couple of questions, if I do are there aftermarket ones that bolt straight on?
If not is there anyone in the redlands area (se Qld) that either sell or can fit an aftermarket one?
I have not noticed any lack of power, just oil around the pipes into the compressor aera of the turbo.
Will try to post some photos.

Tonyg1969
3rd December 2017, 05:04 PM
Sorry, forgot to say thank you.
Also how do I post a photo on here?
Cheers

AB
3rd December 2017, 06:23 PM
Click the picture frame symbol above the text area where you reply to a thread, the easiest way is to click "Basic Uploader" on the pop up and upload an image off your computer if you are using a desktop computer.

In relation to your question though you might not even have a leak, your clamps may not be tight and letting a little bit of air/oil out too.

Anyways, see if you can upload a pic for us.

Tonyg1969
3rd December 2017, 06:59 PM
Thank you AB.
I've only got the mobile, so does that still apply to what you've suggested?
Sorry for being so ignorant to all this.
Very greatfull.
Tony

mudski
3rd December 2017, 11:20 PM
If you have oil just around the pipes and none on the core of the intercooler itself I would say its not leaking. But being an OEM IC thats done 100thou. I reckon I might be, or very close to it. With an un molested 3ltr. If you have a leaking IC, the ECU will just over work the turbo to try to compensate for the boost loss. So more than likely you wont even know. Depends on how bad the boost leak is though.
Theres plenty of aftermarket IC's available. Diesel Smart is a company off the top of my head that do one. eBay, theres a crap load on their too.

Tonyg1969
4th December 2017, 06:25 AM
Thanks Mudski.
Checked around and under the core etc, no sign of any oil.
The oil only seems to be around where the ic hose goes on to the compressor.

mudski
4th December 2017, 07:33 AM
Thanks Mudski.
Checked around and under the core etc, no sign of any oil.
The oil only seems to be around where the ic hose goes on to the compressor.

Yeah its just oil seeping past the hose. Clean it up and tighten up the clamp. Instal and oil catch can, this will stop nearly all off that oil seepage.