PDA

View Full Version : Undecided to lift or not

Nanango
6th May 2011, 02:43 PM
Was told by my mechanic the other day that my beast was a fair bit lower than it should be. Have only had it for about six months, a 96 GQ TB42E and the previous owner used it to tow horse floats. They had fitted a pair of airbags in the rear but they are stuffed.
OK, so I know I need new springs and probably shocks as well, but should I go the extra and put a 2" lift set in or leave as standard?
Most of my driving is not really 4WD, but certainly on dirt roads, however I am planning on a trip next year that includes the Gibb River Road, Tanami Track, Kakadu, Mitchell Falls etc.
My rubber is virtually brand new and am not really looking at changing wheel size as that will mean six new wheels and rubber (2 spares) if I get a lift. Whatever the case I have been advised to get a pair of +200Kg springs on the rear due to what I carry, and probably some heavier ones on the front due to a steel bull bar (no winch) and full length steel roof rack.
Looking at EFS springs and shocks due to the 3Yr, 100K warranty and have read good report relating to them, but not locked into anything yet.
Rick

growler2058
6th May 2011, 03:06 PM
Gday Rick personally I would go a 2" lift but for your application it may not be necessary, but with a small lift like a 2" you will be able to tackle harder terrains if down the track you so had the desire. I dont think there would be stuff all difference $ wise. As far as how heavy a spring talk to your suspension people and tell them exactly what you will be carrying ie weight wise and they will be able to match springs for you

Nanango
6th May 2011, 03:10 PM
Thanks for that. Had one bloke tell me that even a 2" lift I would feel and stick with standard height. As I am not planning on changing wheel size he advised against the lift.
Will hang out there for more comments

AB
6th May 2011, 03:15 PM
Hi Rick, not sure of your budget but I just got 2" GU "old man emu" lift on my GQ which raises it slightly higher then the GQ 2" lift. Your 4x4 store should ask you what your intentions are and accomodate the lift to suit your needs such as the heavy loads. My suspension is perfect, a little stiff but have now put in roof rack, bull bar, carrying tools, etc along with rear drawer system with lots of weight and soon to come will be fridge and other accessories and the ride now is sweet!

As mentioned above if your going to the trouble to get new heavy springs I would be getting a 2" lift. I have spare road tyres that I put on and the on road drive is smooth!

If later on in life you decide to get 33" tyres or want to move into more offroad use you are already set ready to go!!!

MudRunnerTD
6th May 2011, 03:20 PM
No Brainer mate. 2" lift for sure!!!! No hesitation.

A 2" lift will look pretty normal mate, it is not a BIG lift at all and will be all that you need. YOur original stuff is shagged so you need new. Go a 2" lift over standard every day of the week especially with your list of plans mate.

Clunk
6th May 2011, 03:22 PM
G'day Rick, my GQ is still stock at the mo, it get's over most hurdles that I try to tackle but will also be going for a 2" lift, just to give that extra little clearance.....................

growler2058
6th May 2011, 03:24 PM
I think its also worth saying you dont need to go bigger tyres just because you have a 2" lift

AB
6th May 2011, 03:28 PM
I think its also worth saying you dont need to go bigger tyres just because you have a 2" lift

I put the 31" desert duelers on over Easter as I was doing a lot of freeway use and sand up at the Murray...They don't look silly at all mate.

tkn
6th May 2011, 03:30 PM
Looking at EFS springs and shocks due to the 3Yr, 100K warranty and have read good report relating to them, but not locked into anything yet.
Rick

A 2" lift is almost an after-market standard for springs (coils and leaves). Have a look at Ironman and use their 1300 number to speak to a human for direct advice regarding their product.

Its not that easy to tip over a Patrol, but it can be done - especially if you have any sort of load up high or on the roof. For what you describe 2" should be fine, but replacement air bags would be a must have. Keep in mind that rather than buying stiffer springs (e.g. +200Kg or + 400Kg) and having to live with the vehicle tending to "skip" when not carrying a full load, you can use the airbags to get a wider (and more flexible) range of options in loading carrying depending upon how much air you put in the bags.

Before you buy anything, weigh the front and then the rear of your vehicle - and then get an all up weight (as a check on the other two) - then you will know what your actual weights are - as opposed to theoretical. Softer front springs are kinder to you, your steering and your vehicle generally, so unless you really need to don't go for stiffer front springs - it seems that the only extra weight on the front you have is the bull bar (+ second battery?). Actual weights are something you can rely upon.

For the trip you are planning you might find it best to pay the extra for foam shocks and even pay a bit more for large bore shocks.

Nanango
6th May 2011, 07:41 PM
From all the input it looks as though I would be crazy not to go with the 2" lift. Good idea re weighing front and back. Only trouble is HOW? Second battery (AGM) is right at the back next to the 12V fridge and storage drawers, not in the engine bay.
Rick

AB
6th May 2011, 09:18 PM
As for weighing your 'trol have a look in the yellow pages and you'll find a public weigh station in your area. They charge a fee for a print out of your weights.

Our local tip has a full weighing system in the entrance bay and exit and they detirmine the cost by the weight difference. Not sure if any other tips in your area have the facility.

AB
6th May 2011, 09:33 PM
The tip won't have a certified calibrated scale but will be good enough for this excercise.

I rekcon they are dodgy too!!!

AB
7th May 2011, 07:47 AM
Here's a picture of a 2" GU lift on a GQ so a standard 2" GQ lift would be slightly lower.

They are 31" tyres and even with the higher 2" lift (more like 2.5") it still doesnt look silly...

DX grunt
7th May 2011, 12:25 PM
I love my 2" lift. I have to lift a cheek to get in and out. Makes it feel like a truck. lol

the evil twin
7th May 2011, 02:23 PM
Was told by my mechanic the other day that my beast was a fair bit lower than it should be. Have only had it for about six months, a 96 GQ TB42E and the previous owner used it to tow horse floats. They had fitted a pair of airbags in the rear but they are stuffed.
OK, so I know I need new springs and probably shocks as well, but should I go the extra and put a 2" lift set in or leave as standard?
Most of my driving is not really 4WD, but certainly on dirt roads, however I am planning on a trip next year that includes the Gibb River Road, Tanami Track, Kakadu, Mitchell Falls etc.
My rubber is virtually brand new and am not really looking at changing wheel size as that will mean six new wheels and rubber (2 spares) if I get a lift. Whatever the case I have been advised to get a pair of +200Kg springs on the rear due to what I carry, and probably some heavier ones on the front due to a steel bull bar (no winch) and full length steel roof rack.
Rick

Hiya Rick,

Going by the highlighted info there is no need to "lift" the truck. Returning the suspension to normal spec from sagged (my old GQ was an ex Horse Floater as well) will lift it about 2 or even 3 inches from what it is now back to standard height.
The lift will give you no increased ground clearance as the diffs are still were they were before. You will get a slightly better entry and departure angle however ramp over angle may be similar depending on circumstance.
Lifting will also raise fuel consumption slightly due to an "apparent" aero increase to the frontal aspect and some vehicles require castor correction kits even with a 2 inch lift and some don't. 1 of mine did.

BUT...

If the cost of the suspension components are similar in replacing the stuffed bits with stock height as raised height gear then a lift may be the way to go.

Just ensure that a soft 2 inch lift isn't lost with your load compared to a standard height +200 Kg as if you end up with the same departure angles etc then there was no point. Patrols have a lot of body roll anyway, esp so if people disconnect the sway bar as the two inch lift takes a fair bit out of the rear geometry unless Sway Bar Links are extended or extension brackets fitted so sometimes a firmer suspension is a lot better

The big thing IMHO is that with the destinations you have planned (all 'cept Mitchell are reasonable tracks) get the best Shockies you can. A couple of those tracks are shockie killers.