PDA

View Full Version : The value of dual fuel filters

Cuppa
29th November 2017, 05:01 PM
The pic below is of the filtration elements from the two fuel filters just taken off my car. Standard factory type (Ryco Z332) on left, & the CAV type filter element I fitted as a pre filter on the right.

Both had been fitted at the same time about 12000kms ago, including our recent 10,000'ish desert trip.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/11/238.jpg

On this basis I think in future I will change the pre-filter every 10,000kms & the standard filter every 20,000

Neither filter had any water in them.

Bigcol
29th November 2017, 07:59 PM

good stuff mate

dads tractor
1st December 2017, 02:41 PM
Cuppa what micron are you running for your pre .I've just finished doing mine about a half hr ago and am running 30 micron in a filter water separator in a fuel manager unit .Went the whole hog and installed a primer bulb between tank outlet and filter which allows a quicker bleed of both filters ,the bulb is 10 mm or 3/8 brand Scepter marine p/n 05869 and got it from Road Tech Marine .Not all bulbs are diesel suitable .

Cuppa
1st December 2017, 05:03 PM
They are the Delphi version of the CAV type glass bowl filter, bought online from Ebay/Wagga Tractors. Delphi 296. Depending on where you look they are either 5, 5.5 or 6 to 9 microns!
The diesel in the glass bowl had a fair bit of fine sediment in it, whereas the diesel I drained from the standard filter was very clean.
Fitting the primer bulb is probably one of the best mods anyone could make I reckon (IMHO). I also fitted one when I fitted the CAV filter (I copied Macca) & it makes priming SO easy compared to those silly short stroke pumps on top of the standard filter. Would be worthwhile even without the pre-filter. I also found that not all primer bulbs were rated for use with diesel, & shopped around until I got one that was.

If I was fitting the pre-filter again I'd consider putting it on the passenger side of the motor, even though it would significantly increase hose lengths, only because accessing it where I have it is a bit too squeezy, making the task of replacing the filter element & re-bolting the assembly back together a bit of a juggling act. I suspect that if I ever need to replace a filter element out in the desert it will provided sufficient motivation for me to move it when I get back home.

dads tractor
1st December 2017, 05:21 PM
I cheated my filter is down the back under the tray easy to get too .

PeeBee
2nd December 2017, 06:22 PM
Cuppa what micron are you running for your pre .I've just finished doing mine about a half hr ago and am running 30 micron in a filter water separator in a fuel manager unit .Went the whole hog and installed a primer bulb between tank outlet and filter which allows a quicker bleed of both filters ,the bulb is 10 mm or 3/8 brand Scepter marine p/n 05869 and got it from Road Tech Marine .Not all bulbs are diesel suitable .

Thanks dad, just ordered a deluxe in 5/16", sill make the job easier to prime I am sure after filter changes.

mudski
2nd December 2017, 11:11 PM
Must have copped some dirty fuel on your travels there cuppa. I only have the single fuel filter, but I change mine every second 5k oil change regardless. Probably not necessary but I call it preventative maintenance....

Cuppa
3rd December 2017, 06:36 AM
Must have copped some dirty fuel on your travels there cuppa. I only have the single fuel filter, but I change mine every second 5k oil change regardless. Probably not necessary but I call it preventative maintenance....

Yep, that red dust gets in everywhere, I think you have to expect it & prepare for it if heading out into the outback.

dads tractor
4th December 2017, 12:24 PM
'Yep, that red dust gets in everywhere, I think you have to expect it & prepare for it if heading out into the outback.'

And differant areas have better quality red dust then others ;my winner out of the NT Gulf ,Central AU ,Simpson would be Wiepa Red just special that stuff .

PeeBee
7th December 2017, 09:01 PM
Primer bulb arrived today, big sucker of a thing, so I think I will have to add a bit more fuel line pre the fuel filter to create a loop big enough to fit the pump plus my hand to operate it.

Big Gags
26th February 2018, 10:29 PM
They are the Delphi version of the CAV type glass bowl filter, bought online from Ebay/Wagga Tractors. Delphi 296. Depending on where you look they are either 5, 5.5 or 6 to 9 microns!
The diesel in the glass bowl had a fair bit of fine sediment in it, whereas the diesel I drained from the standard filter was very clean.
Fitting the primer bulb is probably one of the best mods anyone could make I reckon (IMHO). I also fitted one when I fitted the CAV filter (I copied Macca) & it makes priming SO easy compared to those silly short stroke pumps on top of the standard filter. Would be worthwhile even without the pre-filter. I also found that not all primer bulbs were rated for use with diesel, & shopped around until I got one that was.

If I was fitting the pre-filter again I'd consider putting it on the passenger side of the motor, even though it would significantly increase hose lengths, only because accessing it where I have it is a bit too squeezy, making the task of replacing the filter element & re-bolting the assembly back together a bit of a juggling act. I suspect that if I ever need to replace a filter element out in the desert it will provided sufficient motivation for me to move it when I get back home.

Hey Cuppa - hoping you can clear something up for me?? I got myself a 2010 GU CRD on the weekend and looking under the bonnet I spotted one of the priming bulbs pretty much the same as what you have in the photo above and I assumed that it was a second fuel filter but now I'm a bit more confident that's what it is :)

I also noticed another can with a plastic cover on it and it looks the same as the one in your photo above that is located at about 45 degrees up and right from the priming bulb - what's that one??

TheFlyingBadger
27th February 2018, 09:53 AM
Hey Cuppa - hoping you can clear something up for me?? I got myself a 2010 GU CRD on the weekend and looking under the bonnet I spotted one of the priming bulbs pretty much the same as what you have in the photo above and I assumed that it was a second fuel filter but now I'm a bit more confident that's what it is :)

I also noticed another can with a plastic cover on it and it looks the same as the one in your photo above that is located at about 45 degrees up and right from the priming bulb - what's that one??

On the CRD, that priming bulb is for your standard fuel filter (the TD42 filter housing has a pump on top) - i assume it's between the battery and the firewall (slightly towards the engine-side)?

TheFlyingBadger
27th February 2018, 09:56 AM
They are the Delphi version of the CAV type glass bowl filter, bought online from Ebay/Wagga Tractors. Delphi 296.

Is this (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FFK2143-Diesel-Fuel-Filter-Hose-Kit-w-Single-CAV-HDF296-Glass-Bowl-8mm-Barbs/381871053561?) the one?