PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Miner

dom14
25th November 2017, 11:43 AM
Hey Guys,

I found this young fella in the front yard this morning.
Parents are nowhere to be seen, but I keep looking.

What is the correct action to make sure the little fella makes it to the adulthood?

I understand it's a native fella and not doing well atm due to competition from Indian Minah.

I would've let him go by putting him on a tree nearby, but I can't see the old folks, so bit reluctant to do that.

I'm in Melbourne outer east metro.

P.S. He can't quite fly efficiently yet, hence the reason I was able to catch him/her.

GQtdauto
25th November 2017, 12:32 PM
Not much of a feed in them Dom unless you get a few , try wires or drop it off at a vet .
Either that or put it back in the area you found it the parents are very protective of their young .

mudnut
25th November 2017, 12:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv-KLwvwK90ou Can you hear this sound at all in the vicinity? The parents could be searching for it. Don't handle the bird as it may put the parents off caring for it. Placing it in a tree or bush with good cover could be the best option. Wait and see if the parents return.

dom14
25th November 2017, 12:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv-KLwvwK90ou Can you hear this sound at all in the vicinity? The parents could be searching for it. Don't handle the bird as it may put the parents off caring for it. Placing it in a tree or bush with good cover could be the best option. Wait and see if the parents return.

Yeah, I hear that noise bit further away.
This little one makes the same call when I kinda encouraged him/her to do that
and watched if the parents turn up.
I agree, I need to let my species saving sentimentality go and not handle the bird much and let the old
folks do the hard job the way nature suppose to do it.

dom14
25th November 2017, 12:51 PM
Not much of a feed in them Dom unless you get a few , try wires or drop it off at a vet .
Either that or put it back in the area you found it the parents are very protective of their young .

Vets don't care much for this sort of thing mate. I called Wildlife Vic and their advice is to let it go where I found it, but I'm bit reluctant to leave it just on the front lawn. I'm thinking leaving him/her on a tree rather. I'll see how it goes.

dom14
25th November 2017, 01:05 PM
I left it on a tree branch, but flew onto the ground.
I think it's their natural behaviour at this stage to learn.
I hope it will make it. He/she's just under the tree atm. :)

Avo
25th November 2017, 01:18 PM
ring wires as suggested Dom,save him from being eaten by a cat maybe

or hold him by the legs and raise and lower ya arm so he flaps his wings,build his strenghth up,he should fly soon,unless he fell out of nest and is yto early to learn

the evil twin
25th November 2017, 01:27 PM

or hold him by the legs and raise and lower ya arm so he flaps his wings,build his strenghth up,he should fly soon,unless he fell out of nest and is yto early to learn

... or tape his legs to the roof rack and do a few laps of the block... use Low 2nd or you'll tire him out too much

dom14
25th November 2017, 01:45 PM
I placed him/her on a tree but flew back to the ground and hanging around the ground under the tree atm, partially camouflaged. It appears to be searching for food on the ground as well.
I think this is how they learn. They either make it or end up as a snack, but it is not right to end up as a snack for 'native' tom cats.

dom14
25th November 2017, 01:47 PM

It can fly from a tree to the ground, but not quite strong or grown with feathers to fly up onto the trees.
I'll watch out for next half hour or so and see what happens.

GQtdauto
25th November 2017, 02:00 PM
I'm not surprised you got a big response from the Gove dept mate , they have actually culled these birds in a certain area because of their aggressive nature.
In nature it either survives or doesn't , nature doesn't pick winners .

dom14
25th November 2017, 02:15 PM
I'm not surprised you got a big response from the Gove dept mate , they have actually culled these birds in a certain area because of their aggressive nature.
In nature it either survives or doesn't , nature doesn't pick winners .

Yeah, but I can't fathom them culling native miners mate, but I believe ya.

dom14
25th November 2017, 03:25 PM
Little birdie is not moving under the bush, so I reckon the old folks have either given up or moved on thinking he/she made it. Looks like another damn rescue operation for me at the expense of my time that I need badly right now to get some work done. Damn... I wish these useless government rescue organizations have more resources to deal with things like this.

Do you guys know a local rescue organization or an individual that I can drop the bird for care while it's recovering to fly and take care of itself??!!
I've got way way too much on my plate right now to raise a little bird. :(

dom14
25th November 2017, 06:36 PM
It looks like either it went fantastically right or went horribly wrong.
I just went outside to grab some welding gear and came back, and the squeaker was still there. Then the sky starting growling and started some mock rain and I went to check on the squeaker to bring it in, but it was gone. I just saw a pair of miners with another one flying from tree to tree. Either they called it back into the trees, the girl across the road took the bird to a vet or nature took care of it as a snack. Either way, not my problem anymore.
I'm back to my welding folks. :D
I've got enough chit going on as it is, so bird caring is not on my plate at the moment, so it went well I reckon. :)

Good experience though. Now, I know they aren't doing all that bad, at least in this area.
Global (S)warming is working in favour of these critters I reckon. :D

FNqGu04
26th November 2017, 09:15 AM
Hey Dom14
We call them flying rats up here in Sunny Qld .

dom14
26th November 2017, 11:12 AM
Hey Dom14
We call them flying rats up here in Sunny Qld .

Obviously you've got enough of them to make lot of noise there.
Here they are not that common I think, at least not in the areas I grew up.
The invasive Indian Mynah is doing well on the other hand.

I may be wrong, I think the warming up of southern states are helping some bird species.

dom14
26th November 2017, 11:16 AM
BTW folks, WIRES in Victoria is basically the Wild Life Victoria. They don't deal with anything of this nature unless the animal is injured.

Bush Ranger
26th November 2017, 08:09 PM
dom14 Try RSPCA, as they may know of a wild life carer around the place. Another way to find out, is to Google wild life carers in the area that you live in.

dom14
26th November 2017, 11:29 PM
dom14 Try RSPCA, as they may know of a wild life carer around the place. Another way to find out, is to Google wild life carers in the area that you live in.

Thanx for the tip mate.
Few years ago I saved a Kookaburra that I found in the middle of the road on Mount Dandenong road during my bike rides.
I took the critter all the way home and kept him over night as he wasn't moving at all.
Next day I called Wild Life Victoria and they responded courteously & sent me to local carer when I refused to take the critter
to a vet(I suspected they would simply kill him as most of them can't be bothered).
Now the funding for them has been cut, so they are pretty cranky on the phone.
The carer took the kookaburra in and explained to me it was simply recovering from a concussion.
It still had plenty of energy and I had to keep my fingers away from those massive beaks 'cos I was trying to get hold
of my fingers. :)
Basically what happened was he was dive bombing on another bird or a rat in the middle of the road and miscalculated & end up hitting the road. It was just sitting on the middle of the road, and 'cos of the speed I was going down the hill
I couldn't stop my pushbike for another good fifty meters or so. I basically had to dodge getting run over by a truck to save
the critter 'cos all the vehicles were driving over the bird while avoiding running it over as it was right in the middle of the road.
A truckie gave me quite a scream for stupidly running into the middle of the road for trying to save the critter. :D

Only regret was that I forgot to document it through video. :(

mudski
27th November 2017, 07:57 AM
Looks like a wattle bird. I saved one from certain death from a Currawong. I made a nest from my hard hat and it stayed there until the parents found it.
Yes they are bloody agressive birds too. My cat can't go anywhere out side without being attacked. He just ignores them now.
Watching the wattle birds chase crows is funny.
Seems to me they are territorial birds too. We have the same two which pretty much fly from corner to corner of our block.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

dom14
27th November 2017, 11:35 AM
Looks like a wattle bird. I saved one from certain death from a Currawong. I made a nest from my hard hat and it stayed there until the parents found it.
Yes they are bloody agressive birds too. My cat can't go anywhere out side without being attacked. He just ignores them now.
Watching the wattle birds chase crows is funny.
Seems to me they are territorial birds too. We have the same two which pretty much fly from corner to corner of our block.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

It's a noisy miner. Few of them around here atm. I couldn't see many of them in Melbourne outer east when I first moved in, but there are few now. I didn't see them in Melbourne outer north either, but there may be some now. They may be recovering there numbers here eastern part of the country.

mudski
27th November 2017, 11:58 AM
Yeah it is too now looking at the pic on a screen and not a phone. The distinct yellow behind the eye...

dom14
27th November 2017, 11:39 PM
Yeah it is too now looking at the pic on a screen and not a phone. The distinct yellow behind the eye...

Do you see them in your neck of the woods mate(Eltham?)?
I've never seen them in Bundoora, Mill Park area back then, but I may be wrong about that.
Indian Minahs are everywhere on the other hand.

threedogs
28th November 2017, 12:43 PM

Aren't indian Minors classed as ferral ??

PeeBee
28th November 2017, 02:32 PM

The Indian minor is a gazetted pest, and the Noisy minor is a protected native. The Indian Minor (PEST) is the dark chocolate colour bird, and the noisey minor is a light grey.

dom14
28th November 2017, 02:59 PM

They are. I think GQtdauto was talking about the native noisy miner, the one I picked up from the front lawn as in the OP picture. Apparently they quite abundant(the native noisy miner) in Queensland, according to the folks from there.

the evil twin
28th November 2017, 03:32 PM

Yes, well, as far as the locals are concerned anyway... thats why the pressure is on Gov't to change the 457 Visa rules.

Pakistani Truck Drivers and Kiwi Scaffies are next

mudski
28th November 2017, 09:40 PM
Do you see them in your neck of the woods mate(Eltham?)?
I've never seen them in Bundoora, Mill Park area back then, but I may be wrong about that.
Indian Minahs are everywhere on the other hand.

Yeah I was watching maybe five of them this afternoon in my back yard.

mudski
28th November 2017, 09:44 PM
Yes, well, as far as the locals are concerned anyway... thats why the pressure is on Gov't to change the 457 Visa rules.

Oh how I missed your humor ET. Glad your back.

dom14
29th November 2017, 04:40 AM
Yeah I was watching maybe five of them this afternoon in my back yard.

That's good news. Not too long ago, I was believing the Indian Minahs were rapidly replacing them.
Looks like local noisy miners have been making a small comeback around here. :cheers:

dom14
29th November 2017, 04:42 AM

We are talkin bout a different kinda 'Indian Minors' now, aren't we? :D
Oddly enough, both types are two legged. :1087:

the evil twin
29th November 2017, 12:00 PM
snip... Apparently they quite abundant(the native noisy miner) in Queensland, according to the folks from there.

Pfft we got more native noisy miners over here than Qld has... Gina and Twiggy easily outnumber that Clive Palmer piece of work.

Curious how all three natives seem to attract the Indians as well.
Latest reports are of sightings of some Chinese ones in the same areas in WA

dom14
29th November 2017, 12:50 PM
Pfft we got more native noisy miners over here than Qld has... Gina and Twiggy easily outnumber that Clive Palmer piece of work.

Curious how all three natives seem to attract the Indians as well.
Latest reports are of sightings of some Chinese ones in the same areas in WA

Yeah, I remember Ms Reignhard wanted to pay $2 an hour for cheap overseas workers from China. :)
Yep, Hangkooks are quite a flock of noisy miners with their hands at each other's throat. :D
Big(skinny) Palmer is a funny noisy miner, at least on media. ;), our native national assets for sure. ;)

Bush Ranger
29th November 2017, 07:54 PM
No one has mentioned Morris yet, not so common now.

dom14
29th November 2017, 09:54 PM
No one has mentioned Morris yet, not so common now.

Which bird is that? :)

the evil twin
30th November 2017, 11:44 AM
Which bird is that? :)

Dom... Really?

The most widespread one of all with a worldwide geographic range...

Surely you've heard of the...

wait for it...

wait for it...

Morris Minor

Rossco
30th November 2017, 12:19 PM
Dom... Really?

wait for it...

wait for it...

Morris MinorGetting rare now tho. . .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

dom14
30th November 2017, 02:04 PM
Dom... Really?

wait for it...

wait for it...

Morris Minor

I've driven a one, long long time ago. :)

4bye4
30th November 2017, 02:36 PM
Is this the Indian morris minor of which you speak?

Bush Ranger
2nd December 2017, 08:24 PM
Very good, that be the one I am talking about.

Thepower
5th December 2017, 12:21 AM
We have them in UK. They are classics, somewhat expensive to have a one and to maintain a one.