PDA

View Full Version : Should I do a beginner 4WD course

Gav72
19th November 2017, 12:56 PM
Gday

I have a Patrol, have'nt done more than a few hrs of off road 4wd,

Would you recommend that I do a bigger 4wd course (planning to do the Gibb River rd & Bungle Bungles nxt year) or shall I just keep going off road with mates and pick up the basics from there....

the evil twin
19th November 2017, 01:11 PM
Depends on how skilled your mates are... in most cases you will also learn any bad habits they have as well.

90% of 4WD techniques is not about getting there but how you go about it, assessing correct lines and, most importantly, how you get out of the trouble you get yourself in.

I would suggest doing a Course or joining a 4WD Club.

MudRunnerTD
19th November 2017, 01:20 PM
Depends on how skilled your mates are... in most cases you will also learn any bad habits they have as well.

90% of 4WD techniques is not about getting there but how you go about it, assessing correct lines and, most importantly, how you get out of the trouble you get yourself in.

I would suggest doing a Course or joining a 4WD Club.

X2. It's easy to learn bad habits from mates that learned bad habits from their mates than it is to Unlearn them.

BillsGU
19th November 2017, 02:40 PM
Join a 4WD club. Most well organised clubs offer FREE driver training to members. Also, you may find there are members running trips to parts of Oz you also want to go to. It's much safer and much more fun going to "remote" areas in a group.

GQtdauto
19th November 2017, 02:46 PM
Absolutely agree with you guys , a 4wd club would be the way to go for the novice planning a big trip like that .

Cuppa
19th November 2017, 03:30 PM
I'm not a 'club type' person, but joining my local 4wd club was well worthwhile just to get access to the low cost 4wd proficiency training they provide (& expect any member who joins one of their 4wd outings to have completed). One evening theory & two days driving. Both my wife & I have done it & both of us gained a lot of confidence from the experience......... even though I had many years of off road motorcycling under my belt.

Gav72
19th November 2017, 03:34 PM
sweet - i was hoping you might suggest 4WD clubs
Hopefully I'll find something out eastern melbourne thats not too hard core

MudRunnerTD
19th November 2017, 05:27 PM
sweet - i was hoping you might suggest 4WD clubs
Hopefully I'll find something out eastern melbourne thats not too hard core

There are lots of 4wd "Clubs" on Facebook. I dont rate these as 4wd clubs in the true sense and would not point you in the direction of a Facebook based club. Facebook Clubs lack the foundations and or Training that you seek and likely just guys that met online all with Bad Habits you are trying to avoid. You want a club that has monthly meetings, a structured committee and a Trip Co-Ordinator. Affiliated with 4wd Vic would be a bonus. Visit the 4WD Vic website for a list of affiliates.

https://www.4wdvictoria.org.au/

Good luck, there are heaps of registered clubsx, some are more political and cliche' than others. Find one that fits your family and go for a few day trips.

MB
19th November 2017, 07:48 PM
Agree too and from own experience that unlearning bad old habits passed down is harder than starting with a clean slate mate. There is also some truly valuable information on many threads in here for starters that have surely saved lives to date. I am certainly grateful since joining and slowly learning safely/properly off the best on here too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AB
19th November 2017, 07:49 PM
Agree too and from own experience that unlearning bad old habits passed down is harder than starting with a clean slate mate. There is also some truly valuable information on many threads in here for starters that have surely saved lives to date. I am certainly grateful since joining and slowly learning safely/properly off the best on here too!

old school 80's Dad's bad habits mate...lol?

Christ it's lucky we are still alive!

MB
19th November 2017, 07:58 PM
For sure bro!
A vicous circle as learnt off others too, so on and so on round and round it goes until someone gets hurt!

Hodge
19th November 2017, 08:00 PM
I've been contemplating doing a course for ages now. I will admit, despite owning a 4x4 for ages now, I am not that experienced.
I wouldn't be great at judging and choosing a line over an obstacle, up a hill , down a rutty track etc...
Everytime I did do some considerable 4x4, I've been in a convoy, a sheep. Look what the car in front me done, I'm going to do the same. Just point the patrol at it and onwards and upwards ...
Same goes for recoveries , winching etc...
There is a 4x4 course in weribee somewhere a few workmates have done and rate it highly .
But I'm sure there is others around. I know Nissan 4x4 club have a great course they put you through also.

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro

Cuppa
19th November 2017, 08:11 PM
Affiliated with 4wd Vic would be a bonus. Visit the 4WD Vic website for a list of affiliates.

https://www.4wdvictoria.org.au/

I'll second that. Affiliated clubs provide a standardised training course, which is what I did. Once done it you are covered to go on any other affiliated club trip. The club members who are the trainers get trained by 4wd Victoria. Our local Club (Ballarat District 4wd Club) do two courses per year.

Ben-e-boy
19th November 2017, 08:58 PM
I've been contemplating doing a course for ages now. I will admit, despite owning a 4x4 for ages now, I am not that experienced.
I wouldn't be great at judging and choosing a line over an obstacle, up a hill , down a rutty track etc...
Everytime I did do some considerable 4x4, I've been in a convoy, a sheep. Look what the car in front me done, I'm going to do the same. Just point the patrol at it and onwards and upwards ...
Same goes for recoveries , winching etc...
There is a 4x4 course in weribee somewhere a few workmates have done and rate it highly .
But I'm sure there is others around. I know Nissan 4x4 club have a great course they put you through also.

Were you a dirt bike rider at any stage in your life?

I am a firm believer that some of the skills/mindset used on a dirt bike for line selection can be transferred (and further adjusted) to 4wding.

Plasnart
19th November 2017, 09:15 PM

I am a firm believer that some of the skills/mindset used on a dirt bike for line selection can be transferred (and further adjusted) to 4wding.

Yes absolutely easier crossover with offroad bike skills. Driving lines, gear, momentum/traction consideration similarities.

MudRunnerTD
19th November 2017, 09:30 PM
A 4wd course really isnt about teaching you to pick the best line, you get that from day trips with clubs practicing skills. I agree single trail bike riding will help with your lines for sure.

The skills taught at a begginers 4wd course are about safety mainly.

Engine braking safety stops. Stall stops and takeoff. Driving through brakes during a decent.

Practicing going over different terrains ie. Wombat holes, obstacles. Lean over angles teaching you how far your car will lean over. Feel it safely.

Safe use of basic recovery equipment and how to use it.

Back to basics education about Safety and your Car is a great place to start. Driving with club members that have all undertaken similar training and practice safe techniques builds a great foundation.

Hodge
19th November 2017, 09:38 PM

I am a firm believer that some of the skills/mindset used on a dirt bike for line selection can be transferred (and further adjusted) to 4wding.No.
But have done downhill mountain bike for 8 or so years in my younger years. Does that count ? Lol

But that's a very good point you've brought up. The concept of balance and line selection process on dirt bikes is foundation to how you would you about in a 4x4.

Plasnart
19th November 2017, 09:40 PM
A 4wd course really isnt about teaching you to pick the best line, you get that from day trips with clubs practicing skills. I agree single trail bike riding will help with your lines for sure.

Engine braking safety stops. Stall stops and takeoff. Driving through brakes during a decent.

Practicing going over different terrains ie. Wombat holes, obstacles. Lean over angles teaching you how far your car will lean over. Feel it safely.

Back to basics education about Safety and your Car is a great place to start. Driving with club members that have all undertaken similar training and practice safe techniques builds a great foundation.

Absolutely attitude and recovery lessons should come from reputable 4x4 club.

Cuppa
19th November 2017, 09:46 PM
Yes absolutely easier crossover with offroad bike skills. Driving lines, gear, momentum/traction consideration similarities.

The need to pick lines is certainly transferable, but the lines to pick are generally totally different. The biggest difference I found (& still find) is the fact that you have to think further ahead in a 4wd often, because you cant see where your front wheels are, so you have suss out your lines earlier & remember what you are about to drive over, rather than seeing it as you go.
Seeing nothing but sky over the top of the bonnet is a 'bit different'.

I reckon another transferable 'skill' is that of 'trusting that your machine can 'do it'. I've now had plenty of times where the track ahead looked pretty daunting to me (& MrsTea) but having got up it/through it/past it have smiled at MrsTea & commented how easily the Patrol managed it! Each time that happens is a real confidence builder.

Ben-e-boy
19th November 2017, 09:56 PM

I agree with everything there. I do believe that some basic line selecting techniques/theories should be heavily incorporated into the general course, purely because it can aid the already taught components of the course whilst promoting a bit of critical thinking on the drivers behalf and help avoid a lock stomp and steer mentality or just 'give it some berries'

Ben-e-boy
19th November 2017, 10:06 PM
No.
But have done downhill mountain bike for 8 or so years in my younger years. Does that count ? Lol

But that's a very good point you've brought up. The concept of balance and line selection process on dirt bikes is foundation to how you would you about in a 4x4.

Yes very much so.
Think of the speed you need to think about putting your bike in the position you want it to be in, whether that line is going to effect the next obstacle, corner, jump or whatever on that downhill track,
It's a similar train of thought for 4wding (modified obviously), but much slower. You have a lot of time to think about it and include things like diff clearance and wheel track

Spudda02
20th November 2017, 02:09 PM
Well this is all promising, I have dirt bike, road bike, mountain bike background! I grew up in the north of WA so know the fundamentals of beach 4WDing but no mud inland experience.

Can anyone recommend a club in SEQ? Preferably south side as I’m based in maudsland.

Ben-e-boy
23rd November 2017, 08:02 PM
Well this is all promising, I have dirt bike, road bike, mountain bike background! I grew up in the north of WA so know the fundamentals of beach 4WDing but no mud inland experience.

Can anyone recommend a club in SEQ? Preferably south side as I’m based in maudsland.

There is the logan, twin rivers or gold coast clubs you could suss out?

Ben-e-boy
23rd November 2017, 08:06 PM
No.

Have you had a think into how this could help the thought process Hodge?