PDA

View Full Version : New - to 4wd'ing even!

archangel
5th May 2011, 04:11 PM
Hi All!

Joined up to learn more about Patrols - as they seem to be the vehicle of choice for 4wding... I'll admit I'm extremely new at it all, but we all start somewhere! I've been a few times with other people driving and loved it, and now I have a 2 young boys, the wifey and I talked about getting a Patrol and having camping holidays...

I live in SE melbourne (narre warren south), and run my own graphic design/web design/signage business. Been married 4 years and 2 youngins as mentioned above :)

Thinking about a diesel GU2 3litre... Have been told the gu3 is the way to go due to engines blowing more easily on a gu2... or going for a petrol diesel as it will be a daily driver as well. Currently drive an xr6 turbo (few mods, nothing over the top) but wifey finds it a bit hairy in the wet :) (its only 220kw at the wheels!!)

Looking forward to the learning journey :)

Cheers, Nate

Bigrig
5th May 2011, 04:13 PM
G'day mate - welcome aboard. Great people, information and laughs on the forum, so don't be shy and join in to make the most of it. Enjoy!!

Clunk
5th May 2011, 04:16 PM
g'day mate and welcome aboard.

Dhuck
5th May 2011, 04:18 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Bob
5th May 2011, 04:20 PM
Welcome Nate. Join in the conversations and enjoy the ride

AB
5th May 2011, 04:26 PM
Welcome to the forum Nate, have a look around, plenty of info on the 3litres here.

Will this be your daily driver, etc?

Feel free to ask any questions mate.

archangel
5th May 2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks guys - gee what a friendly welcome!!

It will be my wifes daily, (maximum of 200k a week) with the two boys, whilst I will probably either keep the xr6t, or look at a cheap runabout :) Dont have stupid ammounts of money to spend, we're looking at about 18k to begin with, and buying needed equipment gradually.

First question: considering budget constraints etc, would you guys go a diesel over a petrol/lpg system? (in say, a GUII) My concerns are threefold: engine life (buying second hand, beggers cant be choosers), capability for light-medium 4wding, and fuel pricing (not a huge concern, but there)

patch697
5th May 2011, 04:50 PM
And it doesn't stop there mate, its a real friendly bunch all around so feel free to join in & I hope you enjoy the forum.

Welcome aboard.

AB
5th May 2011, 04:52 PM
I would start a new thread under the general discussions area asking about needing help to buy a new Patrol, etc as a lot of people don't read the introductions and you'll miss out on some great advice!

Personally with so little km's each week I would be getting a 4.2 diesel myself but start a new thread under General Patrol Chats, leave it for a few hours and you should get some good responses from 3 litre drivers and above...

Bigrig
5th May 2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks guys - gee what a friendly welcome!!

It will be my wifes daily, (maximum of 200k a week) with the two boys, whilst I will probably either keep the xr6t, or look at a cheap runabout :) Dont have stupid ammounts of money to spend, we're looking at about 18k to begin with, and buying needed equipment gradually.

First question: considering budget constraints etc, would you guys go a diesel over a petrol/lpg system? (in say, a GUII) My concerns are threefold: engine life (buying second hand, beggers cant be choosers), capability for light-medium 4wding, and fuel pricing (not a huge concern, but there)

You'll get a lot of bang for buck around $18k old mate - probably with a few key mods done already also - a lot of us throw up cars we see in the for sale section, so make sure to check it out as well! We'll all keep an eye out for you in the meantime to get you into a troll that suits!!!

Sir Roofy
5th May 2011, 05:10 PM
welcome aboard mate
depending on what you wish to do,throw up a cuople more grand
and go diesel that could be moded up already
cheers and good luck

archangel
5th May 2011, 05:29 PM
Thanks all! I will start a thread as suggested by AB :) appreciate all the advice already!

Dark 1
5th May 2011, 05:48 PM
Welcome mate have a poke around & join in when your ready.

katwoman
5th May 2011, 06:30 PM
Welcome Nate, once you buy, you'll never go back. I sold my XR6 and bought a GU (4.5 petrol/gas).
You will get plenty of options, cos we all love our Patrols for different reasons, no matter the model.
Good luck and hope you get what you are looking for..

growler2058
5th May 2011, 09:59 PM
G'day mate welcome aboard they're a friendly mob here full of useful info and advice

GUtsy ute
5th May 2011, 11:02 PM
Welcome Nate,
BE sure to put up some pics of your new toy when you get it, we all love looking at Patrols,(especially GU's!!)

Finly Owner
5th May 2011, 11:24 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House

Tim

snake1978
6th May 2011, 11:01 AM
hi welcome
id love an xr6t motor in my nissan haahaa
had a skyline with the 3.0, nice motor, but probably a bit small for such a big car
i got a 4.2 diesel 3 weeks ago, my first real 4x4 ( last was a surf , cough cough ) lol but dont regret diesel
from what ive heard dont get a big petrol one unless u have shares in B.P, lpg may be ok but
good luck

fixer982
6th May 2011, 11:23 AM
Whatever you buy, buy turbo diesel or diesel. And welcome to the forum.

DX grunt
6th May 2011, 11:30 AM
G'day Nate.

Droven the XR6t at work for 2 years. Luvellllllllly. haha. Anyway back on track. Patrols. I love my 4.2TDi.

Take care and don't worry about asking questions. That's what it's all about.

Ross

archangel
6th May 2011, 12:08 PM
Cheers everyone :) yeah i LOVE my xr6t - its only got 80k on the clock (bought it at 42k) as a fun family car, but now we have our two boys, I'm pretty keen on camping holidays as a family (family is EVERYTHING to me). I also figure buying diesel is the way to go as it should remain relatively stable price wise - and biodiesel is also an option should oil continue to be such as issue...

fixer982 - interesting you say buy diesel - you seem to be driving a petrol/lpg - regret that side of it?

snake1978
6th May 2011, 02:47 PM
i wouldnt like lpg, u either have a big ass tank hanging under u , or u lose ya boot space. and really i dont like the idea of 80l of lpg sitting behind my kids heads, plus price wise even though lpg is cheaper youd use more than double that of diesel, and dont forget the government is sposed to wack an excise on lpg soon

Maxhead
7th May 2011, 10:20 AM
G'Day and welcome to the forum mate