PDA

View Full Version : Will running gear from a GU fit in a GQ?

mudnut
12th November 2017, 05:35 PM
G'day all. Apart from a plate on one engine mount, will a TB45/48 and all of the running gear fit into a GQ without having to have it engineered?

mudnut
12th November 2017, 05:37 PM
Can a mod please change the heading of this thread to GU into GQ, thank you.

NissanGQ4.2
12th November 2017, 07:12 PM
Can a mod please change the heading of this thread to GU into GQ, thank you.

Done mate,

Can't help with your question but at a guess I'd go with it needs 2 be certified / engineered. Think you will better of speaking with VIC Roads and if they say no it doesn't need 2 get engineered, I'd be asking for it in writting

MudRunnerTD
12th November 2017, 07:24 PM
G'day all. Apart from a plate on one engine mount, will a TB45/48 and all of the running gear fit into a GQ without having to have it engineered?Yes mate it will bolt straight up. No Engineering needed. Wheel track will change. Worth grabbing the front diff too. Ratio will be different.

If you want to use your diff centres you need to make sure the GU diff is a H233 and not a H260 which is bigger and won't take your centre.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Bigcol
12th November 2017, 08:02 PM
I was under the impression that the TB45 while similar to the TB42, was about 2 or 3 inches higher and you would need a body lift so you can close the bonnet

the TB48 is bigger again

MudRunnerTD
12th November 2017, 08:56 PM
G'day all. Apart from a plate on one engine mount, will a TB45/48 and all of the running gear fit into a GQ without having to have it engineered?

apologies Craig I thought you were asking about diffs only. Missed the engine question. I'd say you'd need engineering but I'm.guessing. I have a mate that did a 4.8 conversion and could ask him for you if that is your plan mate.

mudnut
12th November 2017, 09:25 PM
Just thinking of a plan of action. The RB30 needs some work and the gearbox is noisey, so I was looking at buying a wrecked U and swapping over the running gear.

mudski
13th November 2017, 03:23 PM
If the vehicle did not come with the motor in question as an option mate, it will have to be engineered. Id dare say without scowling through the VSB's, even putting GU diffs in would "require" engineering. I didnt need engineering when I did the TD conversion, but, as there was minor chassis work done, cut off the old mounts and relocate and weld the new ones in, this required engineering.
For whats its worth I was charged $1600 for a full engineers report, e.g, every mod done to me Patrol was certified, even down to the removal of the two rear dickie seats, which in turn gave me an extra 180kgs to the GVM.

PeeBee
13th November 2017, 04:16 PM
As above Craig, if the engine is not from the GQ series it will need to be certified. GVM might change also I suspect. Find a VASS engineer and ask them, problem solved.

mudnut
13th November 2017, 04:27 PM
Thanks for all your replies. It will be too much trouble to muck around. I have found a block at Smart Parts, and they said they will pull the harmonic balancer off so I can see it has not stripped out the timing cam/sprocket. The next option is to swap in a TB 42 and gearbox.

Clunk
13th November 2017, 06:01 PM
Yep, tb45 and 48 will need engineering, Chuck in a TB42E and turbo the buggah ;)

mudnut
13th November 2017, 08:40 PM
That makes a lot of sense, Clunk. No timing belt, no carby to run out of fuel on a steep hill, a stronger gear box, and a bit of grunt.

dom14
15th November 2017, 05:57 PM
Just thinking of a plan of action. The RB30 needs some work and the gearbox is noisey, so I was looking at buying a wrecked U and swapping over the running gear.

In what way the gearbox's noisy??!!

I think swapping over GU engine and bit into a GQ is a pretty big project.

Why not simply buy a running GU instead?
Or are you a sucker for the aesthetic beauty of the GQ as I am? :D ;)

mudski
15th November 2017, 06:21 PM
That makes a lot of sense, Clunk. No timing belt, no carby to run out of fuel on a steep hill, a stronger gear box, and a bit of grunt.

Whack a hair dryer on the RB30 mate and she'll move alright.

mudnut
15th November 2017, 06:29 PM
Whack a hair dryer on the RB30 mate and she'll move alright.

I haven't got an issue with the power of the guinea pig, just sick of worrying about a problem with the crank and timing belt set up. It has been stuffed up by a mechanic who must have used a rattle gun to torque the crankshaft bolt instead of using a torque wrench. I have driven it wondering when it will let go. I had a good mechanic check it out yesterday and he reckons run it for a couple of years as is and deal with it then. It seems I was lucky enough to clamp the stripped plate into the chewed out groove. It ain't pretty but it has survived so far.

mudnut
15th November 2017, 06:32 PM
In what way the gearbox's noisy??!!

I think swapping over GU engine and bit into a GQ is a pretty big project.

Why not simply buy a running GU instead?
Or are you a sucker for the aesthetic beauty of the GQ as I am? :D ;)

A bearing in the cluster (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th) is whining pretty badly. Change into 4th and the silence is deafening.

When I changed out the gear oil there was a fair bit of metal stuck to the magnet.

I have another gearbox still sitting at a mates place, waiting for him to check out what has let go.

Two gearboxes failing in 20000 ks of each other is BS! Would love to upgrade to the larger box.

dom14
15th November 2017, 08:15 PM
A bearing in the cluster (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th) is whining pretty badly. Change into 4th and the silence is deafening.

When I changed out the gear oil there was a fair bit of metal stuck to the magnet.

I have another gearbox still sitting at a mates place, waiting for him to check out what has let go.

Two gearboxes failing in 20000 ks of each other is BS! Would love to upgrade to the larger box.

Mate, that makes no sense. Good running RB30 gearboxes go for peanuts.
I could've bought a good one from a local known bloke for $150 & I didn't 'cos mine's running fine.
From what I know you don't go around seeking mud holes and sand dunes to thrash the gearbox and diff around.
And what I've heard so far, your diff has never failed. Mine did in 2014.
Dunno, but may be mine was rebuilt by the previous bloke, but I don't think RB30 gearbox is anywhere near
as bad many says.
Something's not right with what's happening to you.
Either some other area of the drivetrain is putting stress on the gearbox or both times for some weird reason you ended
up with bad ones.
Only way you gonna get a larger box is obviously by going for a TB42/45/48.

From what I've heard, it's the synchros in gearbox that fail, but not sure as I've never opened up a gearbox, yet.

dom14
15th November 2017, 08:17 PM
I haven't got an issue with the power of the guinea pig, just sick of worrying about a problem with the crank and timing belt set up. It has been stuffed up by a mechanic who must have used a rattle gun to torque the crankshaft bolt instead of using a torque wrench. I have driven it wondering when it will let go. I had a good mechanic check it out yesterday and he reckons run it for a couple of years as is and deal with it then. It seems I was lucky enough to clamp the stripped plate into the chewed out groove. It ain't pretty but it has survived so far.

I've never used a torque wrench on a crank bolt, I doubt most mechanics do.
Most likely the mechanic did a half hearted job when it came to tightening it.

BTW mudnut I must tell you that I've undone and tightened the crank bolt somewhere between 10-15 times in last six years, no exaggeration. I only started to be careful with rechecking it last couple of years after a discussion in the other forum about RD28 crank bolt coming loose and guy's replacing it with a new one. Even though I didn't go that far, I give it a quite a tightening with a long breaker bar.
I can't remember why I had to undo it that many times, but half of that would be doing it to check something rather than fixing anything.