PDA

View Full Version : Hi there everyone

shanepk38
9th November 2017, 10:44 AM
Hi there everyone, Just starting out and looking at buying a Nissan Patrol. I am looking at a 3.0 turbo diesel have heard some great reports on these vehicles, but was just told recently that they do tend to overheat causing blown turbos and melted piston rings. Is this just a load of BS or does this occasionally happen, as I was quite keen on the Patrol and thought if anyone would know it would be the people that already own one. Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Shane.

Bigcol
9th November 2017, 11:00 AM
a lot of miss information was spread about the ZD30
in the patrol, they sometimes over fueled and then you had problems - mainly (my opinion) from bad ECU mapping

same motor (with different air intake design & different ECU map) is in the Navara........... no bangs or "grenades"

anyone and everyone has an opinion about the 3L
the first 2 series were bad - but things were fixed by the time series III came out
some teething problems with the CRD3.0L - but were eventually fixed

same 3.0L D4D in Playdoh and Hilux
hilux under powered compared to Playdoh
playdoh has injector and starter problems Hilux dont have

the ZD30 and the CRD30 are both good motors, different things in the NADs need to be done, but they are an honest and reliable motor if you dont thrash them

BTW

welcome to the forum

do a search on NADs, lots of information there for you about the 3.0L

4bye4
9th November 2017, 11:15 AM
G'day and welcome mate. I can only offer that I have a series 4 ZD30, 245000k and no issues. Yes all cars have some problems IMO, but the stories outnumber the truth. I have NADS as Bigcol mentioned. More common I think on all models is leaks from the intercooler. When it leaks, replace it with a welded intercooler, either like for like or upgrade to larger one, depends on your wallet. Notice I said "when" it leaks.
Cheers Tony.

GQtdauto
9th November 2017, 12:58 PM
Welcome mate , our 2002 model is still going , big exhaust no chip and over 300thou on the clock .

Dhuck
10th November 2017, 09:08 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

shanepk38
10th November 2017, 06:10 PM
Hi there everyone and thanks to the fast response. I don't mean to sound stupid here but can someone please explain as to what NADs mean, I am kinda new to this. Cheers Shane.

GQtdauto
10th November 2017, 06:27 PM
Hi there everyone and thanks to the fast response. I don't mean to sound stupid here but can someone please explain as to what NADs mean, I am kinda new to this. Cheers Shane.

Nads = Nissan anti detonation system? , I think mudski is the guru on the subject , if you search the forum using nads as the keyword you will find more info on the subject .
From what I understand it's a few modifications to the engine and ancillary components to reduce the chance of motor failure.

AB
10th November 2017, 09:29 PM
Welcome to the forum mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

growler2058
12th November 2017, 07:05 AM
G'day Shane welcome to the forum mate