PDA

View Full Version : SRA Free wheeling Hubs Pulled Apart

Finly Owner
4th May 2011, 09:48 PM
Ok bear with me Im not sure how to do this type of thread, but could everyone not post anything here until I complete as it will be a lot of pics and explanations.

Tim

Finly Owner
4th May 2011, 09:54 PM
The above shows you six Tiny allen cap bolts that allow you to remove the free wheel lock plate. This will allow you access to the 8mm allen cap bolts to remve the free wheel hub. Before undoing those, wipe grease fom around axle shaft as far down as you can reach. You will see a snap ring that needs to be removed with a pair of circlip pliers and tiny flat blade screw driver.

Then you can undo the bolts and slide off hub.

Finly Owner
4th May 2011, 09:58 PM
Behind the hub you will find a thrust bearing and thrust plate. (bearing not shown here)

Finly Owner
4th May 2011, 10:01 PM
Then behind those are the Bearing lock nut keeper and bearing lock nut. You will be able to pick the keeper out with tiny flat blade screwdriver,

Finly Owner
4th May 2011, 10:05 PM
At this stage you should have the weight off the diff/wheel. On a stand etc. You may need to tap the lock nut undone (RH thread) at first. then it will spin off usually. Once that's off you will see a bearing spacer then the bearing.

Finly Owner
4th May 2011, 10:10 PM
So as you can see no wheel bearing nut socket needed.

Then we go to The HUB itself.

Here you have the inner side of the hub complete. Remove the circlip ring under the outside lip using that tiny flat blade screwdriver again. As you can see the drive gear will become free.

Finly Owner
4th May 2011, 10:13 PM
Pull the spring out, and then all you have left is the hub lock mechanism.

Finly Owner
4th May 2011, 10:15 PM
This is actually a two part assembly as follows.

Finly Owner
4th May 2011, 10:19 PM
all you have to do now, is clean all parts and grease it as you reinstall it.

I have not gone into doing the wheel bearings as they will be the same as all other diffs. I have only put up this info as i could not find any info when I needed it yesterday.

Hopefully someone will find this useful one day.

Tim

Finly Owner
4th May 2011, 10:20 PM
Feel Free to post away now.
Thanks for being patient.

GUtsy ute
4th May 2011, 10:24 PM
Top write up Tim, Sure is a different set up to ones I've worked on.

Pics show clearly how to dismantle the complete assembly and with your instructions makes it easy as.

Cheers Gavin

YNOT
4th May 2011, 10:44 PM
Thanks Tim, top write up mate.

Tony

Clunk
4th May 2011, 11:09 PM
Top work Tim, cheers mate

my third 256
4th May 2011, 11:24 PM
Feel Free to post away now.
Thanks for being patient.
where would we be without such great info / what a top write /description and oh what gteat photos
i would have grease all over the camera doing that
thanks tim shows why you have legend above your avatar

AB
5th May 2011, 08:53 AM
Great write up Tim, I'm sure this will help out many people!!!