PDA

View Full Version : GQ won't start

JackoGQYoot
28th October 2017, 12:14 PM
Hi all,
Went to start my TD42 Blacktop Gq coil cab this morning, and it just made a clicking noise, but the starter motor obviously engaged every now and then because it turned over intermittently. I did do the glow thing so it's not that. Would any of you have had similar issue or know what could be the cause of this?
cheers

GQtdauto
28th October 2017, 01:20 PM
What voltage is in the crank ?

JackoGQYoot
28th October 2017, 03:40 PM
The voltmeter on the dash is saying 7 volts.... When I'm driving it, it sits on around 14 volt, so...

It has been sitting for bout 2 weeks. could this be the problem? could I be losing battery through the labyrinth of wires the guy before me installed on it?

dom14
28th October 2017, 04:23 PM
The voltmeter on the dash is saying 7 volts.... When I'm driving it, it sits on around 14 volt, so...

It has been sitting for bout 2 weeks. could this be the problem? could I be losing battery through the labyrinth of wires the guy before me installed on it?

Sitting duck for two weeks shouldn't do that unless the battery is dying it's death, slowly.
What I would do is to get the battery checked for it's CCA output or do a load test, then get
the starter motor checked for a dying death as well as the connections that goes to it from the battery.
Autobarn does a CCA check for nothing, afaik.

Chimo
28th October 2017, 04:26 PM
Flat battery?

Clunk
28th October 2017, 04:47 PM
Hi all,
Went to start my TD42 Blacktop Gq coil cab this morning, and it just made a clicking noise, but the starter motor obviously engaged every now and then because it turned over intermittently. I did do the glow thing so it's not that. Would any of you have had similar issue or know what could be the cause of this?
cheersMine does the same from time to time. Some times fires up straight away, sometimes have to turn the key a few times. Thought it was the starter motor initially but someone I know reckons not. More likely worn ignition switch he reckons.

It's not the battery.... Well not in my case anyway

dom14
28th October 2017, 05:06 PM
Mine does the same from time to time. Some times fires up straight away, sometimes have to turn the key a few times. Thought it was the starter motor initially but someone I know reckons not. More likely worn ignition switch he reckons.

It's not the battery.... Well not in my case anyway

Yeah, an auto sparky some six years or so ago told me the GQ starter switch can develop ghosts inside it.
I've never replaced mine, but from time to time, not so frequently, it does spit the dummy.
I have been blaming my secondhand starter(from a Skyline), but it's possible the starter switch.
It doesn't bother me atm 'cos it's not a frequent problem. If it craps itself in the middle of nowhere, I know
enough about the wires that goes into it to hot start the troll. :D

dom14
28th October 2017, 05:09 PM
Flat battery?

Probably not. It would either keep clicking or crank slowly over with a weak battery.
I would say the problem is somewhere else. It's either the starter motor or the electrics related to that.

JackoGQYoot
28th October 2017, 05:20 PM
All good guys turned out all it needed was a littel more juice in the battery and she started first crank!:1062::1056:

GQtdauto
28th October 2017, 07:37 PM
If your showing 7 volts there's no way it's going to start , as mentioned a couple of weeks shouldn't matter you have a short or discharge somewhere .