PDA

View Full Version : Confession time (2 stroke in diesel)

Cuppa
27th October 2017, 10:37 PM
Well .... umm.....ahh....

Some of you may recall that I became a fairly enthusiastic convert to putting 2 stroke into my 4.2 Patrol's diesel. I was very pleased at the the way it made the motor run smoother, & continued to use it in every tankful for several years.

Whilst travelling around western Qld recently there were occasions where it just wasn't convenient to use it ..........and .......... I have to admit that I was unable to tell any difference. I have now put at least a further 4000kms on the clock without using 2 stroke & feel that the 4 litre container of the stuff I have lugged around the country can now stay at home & the weight saving will be of more benefit!

Ha! That feels better! :)

mudski
27th October 2017, 10:45 PM
Yeah mate i have to agree with you. I use about 3 litres of the 4litre pack of 2 stroke I have and wont be bothering with it i reckon.

Avo
27th October 2017, 10:56 PM
i always wondered what the real benefit was....

GQtdauto
27th October 2017, 11:11 PM
i always wondered what the real benefit was....

Place that sells the oil got the benefit .

jff45
28th October 2017, 08:51 AM
I doubt you could feel any difference in the short term. My understanding is that it's for the long term durability of older injection pumps which were designed at a time when diesel fuel had better lubricating properties.
There could be a lesser noise level in TD42 pumps with modified cam plates.

I continue to accept that there's a long term benefit so I continue to use it.

I suppose it's a bit like those who do their oil & filters changes every 5000 kms because they want their motor to last longer.. If they did it every 10k kms instead, they probably wouldn't notice any difference in the next 100k kms.

Touses
28th October 2017, 08:55 AM
I doubt you could feel any difference in the short term. My understanding is that it's for the long term durability of older injection pumps which were designed at a time when diesel fuel had better lubricating properties.
There could be a lesser noise level in TD42 pumps with modified cam plates.

I continue to accept that there's a long term benefit so I continue to use it.

I suppose it's a bit like those who do their oil & filters changes every 5000 kms because they want their motor to last longer.. If they did it every 10k kms instead, they probably wouldn't notice any difference in the next 100k kms.

In full agreement on these points and I swear I'm getting better mileage out of the old gutlux using it.

PeeBee
28th October 2017, 09:03 AM
I noticed a softening or reduced noise from the engine when I had the 2.8td, and still run it in the new chev, but can't say it's any quieter. I think it is a long term prevention agent also as stated above so will keep adding it, although auto trans fluid is mooted as a similar additive by some.

Hodge
28th October 2017, 11:04 AM
I wont fill up without it. Been running on and off for nearly two years and the motor definitely sounds better , smoother and quieter with it.
So i keep using it.
I also add a hint of fuel doctor or flash lube diesel conditioner every 3-4 tanks.

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro

GQtdauto
28th October 2017, 11:13 AM
So how much do you guys use per tank ?

the evil twin
28th October 2017, 12:03 PM
It made a small but discernible difference in my Chev which are noisy buggers at best.
I run it at no more than 200:1 and don't even bother when inconvenient.

A 250ml squirt bottle is a handy dispenser I found.
I usually fill my tanks then not refill until the Aux is empty and Main wants 100 or so, old habit that I have done for years and years.
Anyhooow... if the Aux takes 50 or more it gets a bottle and the main gets a bottle for every 50 as well.
If I am touring I might miss a tank or two or not bother at all

I figure it probably averages out around 250:1 all things considered and in a old banger like the Chev certainly does no harm

Cuppa
28th October 2017, 01:59 PM
Hmmmm, perhaps I'll continue with it at home & now & again when touring. But no more carrying a 4 litre container of 2 stroke around the country.