PDA

View Full Version : Td42t turbo oil leaking

Jayden
25th September 2017, 07:33 PM
73298I have alot of oil leaking from the turbo and unsure why? Factory turbo, Runs on 15psi and has been hi flowed says the previous owner. What do you’se think it could be, any help would be greatly appreciated. I have attatched a photo, not sure if the photo has worked. Cheers.

mudski
25th September 2017, 08:00 PM
No pics bud.

Jayden
25th September 2017, 08:06 PM
No pics bud.
Workin now hay?

AB
25th September 2017, 08:15 PM
Clean it all up mate, degrease it all, get it all off, start car and carefully watch for new leak and let us know where coming from.

Possible seal leak of the turbo, not overly expensive to fix.

Jayden
25th September 2017, 08:36 PM
Clean it all up mate, degrease it all, get it all off, start car and carefully watch for new leak and let us know where coming from.

Possible seal leak of the turbo, not overly expensive to fix.
Sweet, will do that as soon as i get a chance, cheers mate

AB
25th September 2017, 08:52 PM
No oil on the top of turbo around the oil feed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AB
26th September 2017, 07:22 PM
How'd you go with this mate?

Jayden
26th September 2017, 08:20 PM
How'd you go with this mate?

Had a good look today and it sorta looks like its coming from the actuator. Not 100% sure.
Gave it a clean with degreaser, and cleared all the oil. Ran the car and went for a bit of a drive and no oil has shown yet, ill keep an eye on it. Cheers mate.

AB
27th September 2017, 06:42 PM
Yeah it's hard to tell mate, any news today?

If your not seeing any noticeable leaks from the oil feed or oil drain then likely a seal gone.

If it is coming out of your actuator then most likely seal on turbo but let us know any updates.

Does your oil breather from the rocker cover go back through the intake system?

Would be interested to see if you have oil on the intake side of turbo. Take off the pipe from airbox to turbo and inspect.

Could be something else if its coming out of actuator but lets not go there yet!

Jayden
28th September 2017, 05:27 PM
Had a look today and looks like its leaking out of the bottom of the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler. May just need a catch can. Ive been meaning to have a look through all the piping for oil and have a look inside the turbo, just havent got around to it yet. And yeah the oil breather runs into the intake pipe.

AB
28th September 2017, 06:10 PM
Would be very interesting to see where that oil is coming from mate.

Take the oil breather pipe off and see how much blowby you are getting.

You could also clean it all up again, clean up the outlet of the turbo up as well let the breather vent to atmosphere for a bit, drive it and see if any more oil comes out.

No more oil means you have heavy blowby and possible other issues, oil comes out then turbo is leaking.

Or just simply clean up the turbo outlet, leave the oil breather pipe off and the pipe to IC and idle in carport for a while to see if you can see oil coming up.

Here's a video of mine leaking from "issues"...Long story!

(https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=bEXliAD9Juc)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEXliAD9Juc&feature=youtu.be

Jayden
28th September 2017, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the help mate! Ill give them ago and see what i come up with. Cheers

AB
19th October 2017, 05:31 PM
Bump for Jayden, did you try the above mate, I just saw your other post.

If your turbo is leaking it will be throwing oil through your IC to inlet, etc and any leaks will be showing up all over the place.

Jayden
19th October 2017, 06:05 PM
Yeah mate, gave her a clean up and removed the oil breather from the intake and let it vent to atmosphere for anout a week. Still got an oil leak in that same spot but could just be frim any oil left in the piping. Fitted a catch can yesterday and hopefully i will have gaskets soon so that i can clean the piping out and see how she goes.

AB
19th October 2017, 06:29 PM
Yep could be left over as you said.

I would be also keen to see a visual inspection of the turbo compressor outlet to IC pipe taken off, carefully cleaned and idle for 20 minutes watching for new oil coming up with no oil breather connected to try and pin point it to turbo leaking.

I'm still banking money on turbo leaking oil.

Jayden
19th October 2017, 06:51 PM
Hahaha alright, i think the gaskets may be in, just have to puck them up from the post office and then should be able to do it matbe this weekend or when i have time. Any tips on the best/safest way to clean the turbo and piping and stuff?

AB
19th October 2017, 06:52 PM
Nah you can't clean too much of it to be honest just a cloth but don't dig down too deep near the fins where you can't see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayden
19th October 2017, 07:29 PM
Alright cheers for that mate