PDA

View Full Version : TD42 rebuild time

JackCollo
25th September 2017, 05:47 PM
Hi everyone
The time has come for me to begin the strenuous and exhausting task of rebuilding the old TD42 I have sitting in the garage. It came out of an old gq non turbo. This being said I need your guys help to get brands for all the bits and pieces for the build.
Things I know I’m getting are
Borgwarner turbo
12mm pump
CC intercooler
Fatz fab air box
Patroldocta snorkel

What I need help with is stuff to do with the motor itself.
Ceramic coated internals
Heavy duty internals
New ceramic sleeves
Etc basically the strongest internals around.

Throw some names at me and I’ll investigate.

Cheers
Jack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AB
25th September 2017, 06:43 PM
Yeah wow, going the full hog mate, awesome!

Hopefully Matty and bennyboy can offer internal advise here.

keep us posted with the build mate!

mudski
25th September 2017, 07:07 PM
I purchased the engine kit for my TD from Engines Australia in Dandenong. It was their top kit with ceramic coasted pistons and the best in quality of everything. I can't remember the exact details on the build but I had different exhaust valves used and different valve springs. If you need a new head, genuine is the best but they are hard to come by lately so im not sure what the next best in that regard.
Other bolts ons you will need is

Engine loom, I sent mine to Killa Kustoms, came back all done an with some tacho jigger so the tacho would work.
TD42 crossmember. Mounts the gearbox about 10mm forward, so the TD doesnt rub on the firewall
TD engine mounts and chassis plates
Acc pedal and cable
Fuel filter head, you can use the ZD one though
Radiator, again, you can use the ZD radiator setup
Clutch

Air box. I have the Fatz Fab box but when I can afford it will be changing it out for a custom box that uses a flat paper filter. Im not convinced the K & N style pod filter is filtering as good as a paper filter. That statement will probably open a can of worms...
Snorkel, just dont get one that has a rear facing inlet. You will regret it because of the induction noise.
Intercooler, the CC Ultimate cooler maybe the better top mounts but again, its fecking noisy when the motor is under load and the boost is getting up there.
Take it all with a grain of salt. You will be told otherwise in many different ways. So pool it all together and think on it.

Have fun.

AB
25th September 2017, 07:15 PM
Im not convinced the K & N style pod filter is filtering as good as a paper filter.

You can get a paper filter with the same style to suit the Fatz mate.

JackCollo
25th September 2017, 07:19 PM
Also another thing I need to iron out is weather to go to a 5 speed manual or go with the Wholesale automatics 5 speed auto.
Or to stay with the zd30 4 speed auto

mudski
25th September 2017, 07:53 PM
You can get a paper filter with the same style to suit the Fatz mate.

Yeah you seen how much they are? Big $$$.

mudski
25th September 2017, 07:57 PM
Also another thing I need to iron out is weather to go to a 5 speed manual or go with the Wholesale automatics 5 speed auto.
Or to stay with the zd30 4 speed auto

Its 20k for the 5spd auto from Wholesale autos. I inquired about it when I saw them at one of the 4x4 shows. The ZD 4spd auto will be good I guess. A member here used the TCU from a TB45 I think with their TD/ 4spd auto. jff45 was the man. I want his air box too he made. Lol.

JackCollo
25th September 2017, 08:27 PM
So if I go to keep my 4 speed I need a trans mission control unit and a bell housing adaptor for the td42

mudski
25th September 2017, 09:46 PM
So if I go to keep my 4 speed I need a trans mission control unit and a bell housing adaptor for the td42

You will need an adaptor yes. I believe you can use the ZD30 TCU. jff45 used a different TCU which made gear changing different, or something like that. Hopefully he sticks his head in and clears it up.

JackCollo
25th September 2017, 09:54 PM
You will need an adaptor yes. I believe you can use the ZD30 TCU. jff45 used a different TCU which made gear changing different, or something like that. Hopefully he sticks his head in and clears it up.

I read somewhere that you can’t use the auto zd30 tcu because it uses the throttle position sensor to determine gear changes etc and going from fly by wire to cable you loose the sensor.

mudski
25th September 2017, 11:28 PM
I read somewhere that you can’t use the auto zd30 tcu because it uses the throttle position sensor to determine gear changes etc and going from fly by wire to cable you loose the sensor.

Yeah this part im not sure. jff45 knows about this part, as he did it to his GU.

jff45
26th September 2017, 08:31 AM

If you already have a GU 4 speed auto you just need to redrill the bellhousing to match the TD42 starter motor. The choice of flexplate will depend on whether you have a N/A TD crank or TD42T/Ti with larger journal. The flexplate will also have to match your choice of torque converter.

I initially used my TB45E TCU but have now swapped to a ZD30 TCU which changes much earlier. You need to retain the ECU for either the TB or ZD TCUs to work.
I also initially used a ZD30 TPS on the foot pedal but now use a TD42Ti (3 wire) TPS on the injection pump because I had issues with my cruise control not activating the TPS on the pedal.

jff45
26th September 2017, 08:41 AM

Every TCU for the 4 speed auto requires a TPS signal. I added a cable to a ZD30 foot pedal/TPS to replace my TB45E foot pedal. Secondhand ZD30 stuff was $50 and TD42 TPS for auto was $250 at the time.

Here's a pic of the bracket I fitted to the ZD30 pedal to pull the cable.

JackCollo
26th September 2017, 08:47 AM
Every TCU for the 4 speed auto requires a TPS signal. I added a cable to a ZD30 foot pedal/TPS to replace my TB45E foot pedal. Secondhand ZD30 stuff was $50 and TD42 TPS for auto was $250 at the time.

Here's a pic of the bracket I fitted to the ZD30 pedal to pull the cable.

Thanks jff45 that looks awesome.
So when I get my loom redone I need to mention that I’m keeping the tps sensor. Would I be better off getting a td42 auto pedal? Would it work
Sorry for all the questions

Will the stock 4 speed auto from the zd30 be able to handle the td42

jff45
26th September 2017, 09:40 AM
I wouldn't expect a TD42 auto pedal to be any different from a manual pedal.
If you modify your ZD pedal to take a throttle cable, I don't see any reason to get a loom redone. You can adapt your current wiring easily to fit to the TD requirements.. just depends how handy you are.

If using the ZD T4 torque converter, best to get it stalled a bit lower. I'm using a stock J6 TB45E TC. Your auto will need a good valve body or, at least, a Transgo shift kit.
Personally, at 300k kms, I'd rebuild it and add the extra clutches.

There are now a few TD42 autos getting around and there's quite a bit of info about them out there..

JackCollo
26th September 2017, 03:06 PM
I wouldn't expect a TD42 auto pedal to be any different from a manual pedal.
If you modify your ZD pedal to take a throttle cable, I don't see any reason to get a loom redone. You can adapt your current wiring easily to fit to the TD requirements.. just depends how handy you are.

If using the ZD T4 torque converter, best to get it stalled a bit lower. I'm using a stock J6 TB45E TC. Your auto will need a good valve body or, at least, a Transgo shift kit.
Personally, at 300k kms, I'd rebuild it and add the extra clutches.

There are now a few TD42 autos getting around and there's quite a bit of info about them out there..

So you reckon for me to use my transmission I’ve got to put a j6 tb45e torque converter, rebuild the transmission and put in some extra clutches and while I’m at it I should maybe do a heavy duty valve body upgrade?

jff45
26th September 2017, 03:33 PM
Not after re-reading your original post.. if you're talking BW turbo, 12mm pump, blah, blah then it's going to be up there power wise so you'd better discuss it with a good trans shop.

Seriously, with all you're dreaming about doing you're going to need deep pockets and a shed load of good advice. I'm not sure I'd be using a 300k kms 2000 ZD30 as a base to start from. Just my opinion and it's your money after all..

JackCollo
26th September 2017, 06:07 PM
Not after re-reading your original post.. if you're talking BW turbo, 12mm pump, blah, blah then it's going to be up there power wise so you'd better discuss it with a good trans shop.

Seriously, with all you're dreaming about doing you're going to need deep pockets and a shed load of good advice. I'm not sure I'd be using a 300k kms 2000 ZD30 as a base to start from. Just my opinion and it's your money after all..

Can you recommend any good shops?

Yeah I’ve had a few people tell me that it’s more because it’s a special car to me and my family served us very well then the owner ship came to me.

Well I’m all ears for good advice so bring on all your opinions and advice mate I’m all ears