PDA

View Full Version : TB42 engine oil cooler

Fox7
23rd September 2017, 07:49 AM
Good day guys,

Several months ago I had increasing water loss from the radiator. Couldn't find a leak until that lucky day i saw a stream of water coming under the TB42 inlet manifold. I removed the oil cooler assembly. Found oil cooler cover(housing) was corroded and wall became thin has a pin hole, water jacket plugs corroded and oil cooler was fine.

Bought last cover from Nissan and installed with new plugs and water hoses.

Here are few pics I took.

During my search on net I found not all TB42s are equipped with factory engine oil cooler. Engine runs bit cooler now. :cool:

dom14
24th September 2017, 04:53 AM
What is the actual oil cooler look like? I've had no idea TB42 uses an oil cooler. There has to be a good reason for that.

NissanGQ4.2
24th September 2017, 06:39 AM
What is the actual oil cooler look like? I've had no idea TB42 uses an oil cooler. There has to be a good reason for that.

Can you not see the photo's of the oil cooler????

From what I have read some run them and some don't and believe they where only ever factory fitted when customers bought the optional trailer tow package 2 help cool things down when towing

dom14
24th September 2017, 08:24 AM
Can you not see the photo's of the oil cooler????

Not quite. I can't figure out how that apparatus cool oil. There appear to be something missing. The oil apparently leaves out of the oil filter compartment to enter into the cooler cover where the gaskets are shown. I thought there has to be something like a miniature radiator for the oil to go through and cool.

Fox7
24th September 2017, 10:06 PM
This is how oil cooler looks like. This is a water-cool oil cooler. There is some kind of a adapter built into cover where oil filter sits. This adapter has oil in and out passages to oil cooler and filter mount screw.

As per the service manual path is, oil pump --> oil filter--> oil cooler --> main oil gallery-->

Patrol lives in middle east and I guess that is a good reason why it has a cooler. In peak summer ambient temperature is around 45 degree Celsius. And probably to cool while towing too.