PDA

View Full Version : Roof Racks - Reputable Brands v Ebay Cheapies

DickieO
12th September 2017, 08:47 AM
Hey All,

Looking to get myself a full length roof basket for my Y61 Wagon. Hoping to not spend an arm and a leg if i don’t have to, Maybe try pick up a reputable brand one from a wreckers if I’m lucky but interested to know if anyones has one of these $500-$600 cheapies i see on ebay, are they happy with the quality of the baskets and the mounts provided and how well did it install on your own sweet patrols?

Cheers
Richard

mudski
12th September 2017, 09:12 AM
I had a steel ARB rack. Great, strong, but farkin' heavy. So I sold it. I couldn't justify the price of an ARB ally rack at the time, and I still can't really, so I just opted for a cheap alloy rack as I was in need for one asap. That was some three years ago and I still have the alloy rack. Its taken quite a beating, had big loads of firewood thrown on it. Its a bit bent in the middle now because of the firewood but its still going strong. Its a four post rack so it has plenty of middle support. The base looks like a security door if you get what I mean. I haven't taken it on any long corrugated roads though, this would be the killer for any cheap alloy rack, or cheap steel rack I reckon.

I'd be keen to hear what others have got too.

DickieO
12th September 2017, 09:32 AM
Yeah i know they ones you mean Mudski, i wouldnt mind an alloy one, happy with any tbh for the right price.

Just shy of $1600 nowadays for a Alloy ARB Basket, i not too keen on forking out that much just to get a new basket.

GQtdauto
12th September 2017, 09:36 AM
My old tigers steel rack has lasted without problems , quite a few kilometres of corrugated roads in that and loaded up with wood at times , better weight spread on four legs a side than ARB and a bit lighter .

mudski
12th September 2017, 10:00 AM
My old tigers steel rack has lasted without problems , quite a few kilometres of corrugated roads in that and loaded up with wood at times , better weight spread on four legs a side than ARB and a bit lighter .

Yeah I reckon I got mine from them. I can't really remember. I do like the height on it too. Means I can wash the roof with the rack still on.

MudRunnerTD
12th September 2017, 02:40 PM
Have a look at this thread. I have an ebay Alloy rack that i have been using for 8+ years and cant fault it at all. Great kit. Light but strong. Same as Mudski though, be aware of it, don't go jumping in the middle of the rack, pack smart, spread the load. No regrets at all. cost me $550.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?38425-Steel-or-Aluminium-roof-rack

MudRunnerTD
12th September 2017, 02:41 PM
Or search ebay "Alloy Rack Patrol" for Heaps of options. 4 legs a side for the win

dpetersen
24th September 2017, 01:06 PM
I have a full length tradies rack from iron man. Carries my second spare, light bar mounted to it, swags & camp chairs. Had it on for about three years, done at least 20000ks of red dirt corrugated road and no issues at all. Not sure if the price though, was on the car when I got it.

Rex13
25th September 2017, 06:47 AM
Got a spare alloy one i might be getting rid off ($100).
4 leg per side.
Pickup only from Maroubra
Let me know if ya are interested.
Cheers
Phil.

DickieO
26th September 2017, 08:36 AM
Got a spare alloy one i might be getting rid off ($100).
4 leg per side.
Pickup only from Maroubra
Let me know if ya are interested.
Cheers
Phil.

Sent you a PM, Cheers Phil.