PDA

View Full Version : Getting Seat Removal Engineered.

Jimmyboyjr4
12th September 2017, 01:06 AM
Hey all,

I've seen this has been discussed already and I'm pretty sure that because I live in NSW that I can't temporarily remove any seating without affecting my insurance. Not so worried about potentially getting defected, more worried over the insurance issue.

So has anyone actually been through the process of the getting seat removal engineered?

Rather curious about costs and any experiences anyone might have had.

mudski
12th September 2017, 10:12 AM
Hey all,

I've seen this has been discussed already and I'm pretty sure that because I live in NSW that I can't temporarily remove any seating without affecting my insurance. Not so worried about potentially getting defected, more worried over the insurance issue.

So has anyone actually been through the process of the getting seat removal engineered?

Rather curious about costs and any experiences anyone might have had.

Are you talking about the rear seats? So it makes it a five seater? If you remove the seat belts as well I think you wont see any issues. But this question can only be answered by your insurer. Its up to them at the end of the day.

PeeBee
13th September 2017, 05:21 PM
In Victoria, you remove the seats and seat belts, get the removal noted by a VASS Engineer, present the document to Vicroads and they change the status from 7 to 5 seats. One VASS engineer was not happy with my internal layout and was suggesting I get the vehicle certified as a 2 seater , so it can be done, but thats in Vic

NissanGQ4.2
13th September 2017, 06:02 PM
Are you talking about the rear seats? So it makes it a five seater? If you remove the seat belts as well I think you wont see any issues. But this question can only be answered by your insurer. Its up to them at the end of the day.

Regardless if seat belts are removed it still needs 2 be engineered / certified what ever one wants 2 call it these days.

In NSW because we have 2 get a pink slip ( road worthy certificate ) the mechanic can if he want 2 be picky knock you back just because the seats and seat belts are removed

mudski
14th September 2017, 09:46 AM
Regardless if seat belts are removed it still needs 2 be engineered / certified what ever one wants 2 call it these days.

In NSW because we have 2 get a pink slip ( road worthy certificate ) the mechanic can if he want 2 be picky knock you back just because the seats and seat belts are removed

Yeah wasnt sure on other states though. Has to be engied in Vic, got mine done. Gave me an extra 160kegs on the GVM too.

Hodge
14th September 2017, 10:23 AM
Also from what I've been told...
You cannot just walk in and get the seats removal engineered.
Youve gotta get the car done as a whole ...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

PeeBee
14th September 2017, 10:59 AM
Also from what I've been told...
You cannot just walk in and get the seats removal engineered.
Youve gotta get the car done as a whole ...

Hodge, a guy I worked with just had his seats engineered on a GQ Patrol, went down with the XR6 buckets and an after market seat adapter, and it was signed off. Mind you, just for the seats it cost him close to what you would pay for an engine upgrade, but that was the only thing 'certified' as such and certainly the only issue for review by the engineer.

Hodge
14th September 2017, 01:21 PM
Hodge, a guy I worked with just had his seats engineered on a GQ Patrol, went down with the XR6 buckets and an after market seat adapter, and it was signed off. Mind you, just for the seats it cost him close to what you would pay for an engine upgrade, but that was the only thing 'certified' as such and certainly the only issue for review by the engineer.
Hmmm interesting.
I spoke to a engineer at guests 4x4 and he pretty much said there is no such thing as individualized engineering plates. It's one placard that covers the whole vehicle. In Vic anyway.

And also speaking to a bloke where Mudskis car got engineered he pretty much said , seat removal alters gvm. Altered gvm requires everything that affects the weight to be looked at and engineered which pretty much means the whole car and all accessories especially the suspension needs to be signed off that's fitted to the vehicle at the time of assesment.
That's how I interpreted what he said.
Mark may remember this conversation at 4x4 obsession . mudski

PeeBee
14th September 2017, 03:05 PM
Hodge, what you say sounds reasonable, but you have to wonder about the reall change in weight between one seat or another don't you? I mean if you swap your alloys to heavy old split rims and chunky crossplys the same would stand I guess. Anyway, I suppose it is up to the VASS assessor at the end of the day as to how rigorous he wants to be. I know the guy in Bayswater would want to check every nut and bolt and charge accordingly, whilst the guy in hallam is a lot more 'practical.

Hodge
14th September 2017, 04:49 PM
Hodge, what you say sounds reasonable, but you have to wonder about the reall change in weight between one seat or another don't you? I mean if you swap your alloys to heavy old split rims and chunky crossplys the same would stand I guess. Anyway, I suppose it is up to the VASS assessor at the end of the day as to how rigorous he wants to be. I know the guy in Bayswater would want to check every nut and bolt and charge accordingly, whilst the guy in hallam is a lot more 'practical.

Mate the way I see it, is like a lot of things. Different rules for different states, preached by different engineers in different moods interpreted differently by different people. It's a farce.
I wanted to go get my GU done as a 5 seater as I'm on the verge of GVM breach unloaded. I'd like to gain a few more KG's. A little while ago when I rang around to enquire , was given 14 different answers, gave me a headache so I gave up. lol

Clunk
14th September 2017, 10:25 PM
It's all bureaucratic bullshit to me...... Didn't have my 3rd row seats or belts in when I had my accident, insurance wasn't knocked back because of it

mudski
14th September 2017, 11:08 PM

Its not the physical weight in the actual seat that is the change. Each person is allocated 80kg's. So when you remove the two rear seats, and get this engineered you will be gaining and extra 160kg's to your already full GVM. My GVM was 3000kg, I took it over the scales, empty, only the bar and winch on the car and I was 2940kg. And I was supposed to have both fuel tanks full, which they weren't.

I do think Engineers are like mechanics who do RWC's. They all follow the same rules, its just how they interpret and also enforce them when doing an inspection. As we have seen, different answers from different engineers. I even spoke with an engineer when I first start looking at this and he could engineer 35's and 37's. I question him on this and he said anything is possible. I spoke to Brett at 4x4 Obsession about this and said he's more than likely a non VASS approved engineer. Which you can use if you like to get your blue tag. But. It can be refused my the police and also Vic Roads if and when they see fit. A VASS approved engineer, they cannot.

In the end. Whats the point just getting one thing engineered and nothing else? I suppose this is good if you know 100% everything else on your car is good and doesn't need it. But if your car Has a lift over 2inch, but you only get the seat removal engineered. Whats the point?

Each to their own.

PeeBee. I'd be too scared to put your car over the scales. Lol.

It's all bureaucratic bullshit to me...... Didn't have my 3rd row seats or belts in when I had my accident, insurance wasn't knocked back because of it

Because your seat belts weren't the cause or didn't have any impact on the accident. But yes it is bullshit. I agreed wholeheartedly on this.

PeeBee
15th September 2017, 08:29 AM
Mine is over the upgraded gum by about 100kg with empty fuel and water tanks and no one in it, so yes I am heavy, but it doesn't look like a hoon machine so doesn't stick out for mr plod like some vehicles do

mudski
15th September 2017, 09:24 AM
Mine is over the upgraded gum by about 100kg with empty fuel and water tanks and no one in it, so yes I am heavy, but it doesn't look like a hoon machine so doesn't stick out for mr plod like some vehicles do

Yeah wow so you GVM is upgraded and your still over? Not surprising mate. I had a peek in your Patrol on the Licola trip. Bloody hell! I'd get lost inside your Patrol. Haha!
Having said that, My GVM was upgraded from 3000kg to 3200KG and I reckon I'd be pushing it just with the bar, winch, draws and cage in the back and two full tanks of fuel.

Rossco
15th September 2017, 11:07 AM
Mine is over the upgraded gum by about 100kg with empty fuel and water tanks and no one in it, so yes I am heavy, but it doesn't look like a hoon machine so doesn't stick out for mr plod like some vehicles doTrue not too many hoons out there running coffee machines [emoji6]

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

PeeBee
15th September 2017, 02:22 PM
True not too many hoons out there running coffee machines [emoji6]

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Good onya!!

PeeBee
16th September 2017, 09:01 AM
Yeah wow so you GVM is upgraded and your still over? Not surprising mate. I had a peek in your Patrol on the Licola trip. Bloody hell! I'd get lost inside your Patrol. Haha!
Having said that, My GVM was upgraded from 3000kg to 3200KG and I reckon I'd be pushing it just with the bar, winch, draws and cage in the back and two full tanks of fuel.

Is 3200kgs the limit of your axle rating without a diff strengthening brace kit fitted?

mudski
16th September 2017, 04:52 PM
Is 3200kgs the limit of your axle rating without a diff strengthening brace kit fitted?

Yes. As a factory GU TD has a GVM of 3040kg from memory. And each seat is allocated 80kg. So when I did the ZD to TD conversion, and then decided to get the engineering done, they upped it to 3200kgs. I think thats as high as they can go without axle mods...

Alexander Supertramp
30th January 2018, 02:14 PM
In QLD two different engineers told me that they would want to have a look at the fitting of the front seats (if I decided to go down that path) and he would sign off on it. $220.00 and a blue mod plate fitted under bonnet. Easy peasy. I didn't end up getting it done due to the cost of seats available. I still might end up getting some XR8/XR6 seats some day for it.

BillsGU
31st January 2018, 09:33 AM
It's not about the weight of the seat - it's about the weight of the passenger that sits in it. When I had my GVM upgrade done (in VIC) the vehicle was then configured as a 5 seater - which was part of the calculation for the additional weight I can now legally carry.

76Spoon
27th June 2018, 11:12 PM
Spoke to VicRoads just last week on this.
My gq is plated as 7 seater and has all 7 seats and belts.
On VicRoads computer they say it’s a 5 seater!!
Also VicRoads say you can remove seats without having it engineered.

76Spoon
27th June 2018, 11:15 PM
This is straight from VicRoads.

the evil twin
28th June 2018, 10:52 AM
Various states have different rules on this issue.

For example, last time I checked anyway so may be different now, Vic is no mod plate req'd, Qld is the opposite and requires an inspection.
Some states allow temporary removal and/or only removal of seats designed to do so without tools