PDA

View Full Version : Portal Upgrade on GQ Patrol

PeeBee
4th September 2017, 12:48 PM
I am investigating this mod with the view to do it as soon as we have relocated house - can't fit the patrol in the garage and its not sitting in the street.

Has anyone done this mod on a GQ patrol on this site or can direct me to that person elsewhere? I have spoken to Marks 4x4 and they are shifting around on doing it - issues with the last one with guard flares and then engineering, but I suspect this ended up being a real custom job and they are just not into that market.

Mechanically its fairly straight forward however the details around the body mods then get it thru the engineering will need to be handled with care. Having struggled thru the original engineering and GVM upgrade with the motor I am hardened to the process delays.

Rossco
4th September 2017, 01:24 PM
Ooh wow, million dollar patrol, you'll have to take the reins of the golden horse now [emoji6] . . .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

PeeBee
4th September 2017, 01:40 PM
Nah, only one Golden Horse per paddock! Marks 'claim' it cost circa 10K just to sort out the flares as the tyres stick out approx 100mm past standard even with minus 50mm offset rims - but then say in the next breath they would just use standard black guard extension rubber - who knows - waiting on their Portal Guy to ring me back. I will start with the Hydraulic brake booster upgrade, which should bolt straight onto my booster as I 'think' it was upgraded by Brunswick when they did the engine - waiting on confirmation. This way the beast will stop on a dime with the Toyota Discs that are part of the assy.

I want to hear from someone who has gone this route with a GQ as despite the kit being applicable for GU/GQ the preference is the GU it seems.

mudnut
4th September 2017, 02:12 PM
Blokes in Iceland source wider flares, but all the threads I have looked at have the 3rd party picture hosting problem. Try the search function, you may have better luck than me. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?24226-IceY60%B4s-Patrols&highlight=Iceland+flares

Rossco
4th September 2017, 02:20 PM
10K just for the flares, wow they must be pretty nice. Scared to hear how much the diffs would be.

I guess GUs are a bit wider that makes them a slightly better candidate but people have put them under a heaps of things narrower that a GQ.

PeeBee
4th September 2017, 02:31 PM
I don't think the guy I spoke to really knew what he was talking about - bloody ridiculous comment. Push comes to shove I will buy the kit and take my time fitting it, but would prefer a Drive in/drive out solution. Makes engineering simpler also as its validated to some degree by them.

Rossco
4th September 2017, 02:34 PM
Can't wait to see it, gonna be awsome ☺

PeeBee
4th September 2017, 02:42 PM
Yep, but garage too low for it to fit, so its a sleeper for now until we move. Just trying to ascertain costs and suss out the assy. One thing is the wider wheel track and that could be a problem long term regards reliability and longevity - have heard issues with guys running around in the big fords and even the OKA's and finding they have tracking issues as most of the vehicles running around have made track widths to suit the toyota/Patrol width - don't know how true this is. Also, the 85% reduction gears from Marks howl like crazy so need to be sure these gear sets on all four corners don't do the same.

Bob
4th September 2017, 02:42 PM
Can someone help out an old bloke and tell me what a Portal Upgrade is ???

PeeBee
4th September 2017, 02:48 PM
Bob, its basically an offset gearbox that hangs off the end of the axle ends, the offset raises the vehicle approx 6" and gives greater ground clearance. Once the vehicle has been modified and then passed with an engineering certificate, you can legally run 35" tyres, however the clearance gained is equivalent to running 42" tyres.

Have a look at the Marks 4X4 website as they have a really good assembly video

Rossco
4th September 2017, 02:56 PM
Can someone help out an old bloke and tell me what a Portal Upgrade is ???So you can quickly drive your car into the next dimension of space & time [emoji6]

nissannewby
4th September 2017, 03:09 PM
Apart from being able to say "I have portals" what else necessitates the upgrade? Although it might be able to be engineered you will easily be picked for the height of the vehicle.

Other things like how much more do they weigh over conventional axles? Is it gonna leave much for your gvm?

It will lose handling any shift and cog will cause that.

Then their is also the fact that they are worth as much if not more than the car. Sell it and get an iveco daily if you want height, ability to run 37" tyres, 100:1 through the transfer plus a gvm much more than your patrol.

Don't get upset about this stuff I try to think about these things logically.

Bob
4th September 2017, 03:48 PM
So you can quickly drive your car into the next dimension of space & time [emoji6]

Ha Ha The Dimension that I am in at present is enough for me LMAO

mudnut
4th September 2017, 03:55 PM
Apart from being able to say "I have portals" what else necessitates the upgrade? Although it might be able to be engineered you will easily be picked for the height of the vehicle.

Other things like how much more do they weigh over conventional axles? Is it gonna leave much for your gvm?

Then their is also the fact that they are worth as much if not more than the car. Sell it and get an iveco daily if you want height, ability to run 37" tyres, 100:1 through the transfer plus a gvm much more than your patrol.

They look good, though, Matt. http://www.marks4wd.com/patrol-portal-axles.html

PeeBee
4th September 2017, 04:29 PM

All fair points. I like my Patrol and look at this upgrade , if practical and cost effective as just another enhancement. It doesn't ride or drive like a truck, which I suspect the Iveco would. I don't drive like a crazy fool, so am a bit unsure how it will lose handling, especially with a footprint circa 6-12" wider than it currently is. I don't do 'stuff' to gain attention, if it improves the performance and I am happy with it, then I do it. Running 35" tyres is a clearance issue and becoming more of a passive necessity as more people are running around on them and making the centre of the track higher. Ending up with the ability to tonk on thru ugly rutted up sections without breaking anything is good enough reason to pursue this investigation.

Forgot, GVM upgrade is part of the kit, so vehicle GVM goes up to circa 3900kg's, so this is no doubt part of the diff housing and suspension upgrade that takes place.

Cost is not really a factor as my patrol is my hobby, couldn't care less what I spend on it as long as i am happy to spend it. Right now market value of the vehicle is 6K, but its insured for a hell of a lot more than that. Choices don't simply have to be 100% against what the end result is - I suspect that 99% of vehicles on the road are not worth what the owner paid for them or have invested in them.
Bit unsure about the height remark except perhaps road rules in WA and maybe others having max vehicle height restriction - if thats the case will simply have to cross that bridge if it arises. This mod, will be VASS engineered and compliant in Victoria.
If you have any information of a negative nature regards the conversion i am happy to hear it, but I would ask that it not be subjective, must be fact based and demonstrable or something I can check myself. Thanks for the note.

nissannewby
4th September 2017, 06:07 PM
The height remark was pointed at it going to 7 inches taller than it is now. (6" from portals, 1" going to 35s from 33s.). I had a lifted gq back in my younger less knowlegable days with 5" suspension lift, 2" body lift and 35s. It was only a toy for more hardcore focused drives and even being young it got tiring getting up into. Its a long way up lol.

Winnie
4th September 2017, 07:08 PM
Is your idea here Phil to be able to run smaller tyres (to fit in the garage) and maintain ground clearance?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

AB
4th September 2017, 07:44 PM
Is your idea here Phil to be able to run smaller tyres (to fit in the garage) and maintain ground clearance?

I think he's selling the house so he can fit the platinum pony in the new one?

Platinum pony = Phil
Golden horse = mb
Bronze bunny = Rossco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee
4th September 2017, 07:50 PM
The height remark was pointed at it going to 7 inches taller than it is now. (6" from portals, 1" going to 35s from 33s.). I had a lifted gq back in my younger less knowlegable days with 5" suspension lift, 2" body lift and 35s. It was only a toy for more hardcore focused drives and even being young it got tiring getting up into. Its a long way up lol.

Right, I had not even thought about access issues to be honest. Good point, made it onto 'the list', thanks

PeeBee
4th September 2017, 07:51 PM

Platinum pony = Phil
Golden horse = mb
Bronze bunny = Rossco

Yes, once we extract the daughter, boyfriend and dog, we are downsizing the house and expanding the garage! Looking to go bush as well.

PeeBee
4th September 2017, 07:53 PM

No, upsize to 35's, but need to do the numbers on the final cruise RPM. The portals have a 16% reduction, so maybe I am going to come close regards the magic 1900rpm cruise rate - don't know yet, one for 'the list' , thanks

PeeBee
4th September 2017, 08:04 PM

No, upsize to 35's, but need to do the numbers on the final cruise RPM. The portals have a 16% reduction, so maybe I am going to come close regards the magic 1900rpm cruise rate - don't know yet, one for 'the list' , thanks

Rossco
4th September 2017, 08:12 PM

Platinum pony = Phil
Golden horse = mb
Bronze bunny = Rossco

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkLove Platinum Pony, not to sure about Bronze Bunny tho? . . . Might have to go back to the Silver Brumby, like that one. . Yeah there's only room for one Golden Horse unfortunately . . .

MudRunnerTD
4th September 2017, 10:22 PM
Kut Snake injection moulded flares will sort out the flares quickly and cheaply, they would ma me you custom width if needed I reckon or just add narrow extensions to their flares

http://www.kut-snake.com/nissan-gq-patrol.html

MudRunnerTD
4th September 2017, 10:30 PM
There used to b e a great thread done by an old member "Portal Pat" who built an awesome GU tray back but his build thread is corrupted by photobucket damn it.

There are a couple of t hrrads worth looking ast though. Search "Portal and three are a couple of builds, all under GU s though.

Ben-e-boy
5th September 2017, 01:22 AM

Then their is also the fact that they are worth as much if not more than the car. Sell it and get an UNIMOG if you want height, ability to run 48" tyres, 100+:1 through the transfer plus a gvm much more than your patrol.AND THEY HAVE PORTALS FROM FACTORY :)

Fixed it for ya ;)

Rossco
5th September 2017, 08:25 AM
. . . There are a couple of t hrrads worth looking ast though. . .

When's that new pgone com'n damn it [emoji6]

Bacho86
5th September 2017, 09:52 AM
Right, I had not even thought about access issues to be honest. Good point, made it onto 'the list', thanks

Hydraulic drop down side steps? A lot of American trucks run them... can't recall seeing too many here though....

DX grunt
5th September 2017, 12:10 PM
There used to be a guy on here called portal pat and he did a build. Not sure if he's still on here or not, or his info is still relevant.

PeeBee
5th September 2017, 12:27 PM
Just spoke with Marks 4x4 again, this time to the portal guy. Seems there were a LOT of hurdles to get the last GQ with portals over the line - this one was also fitted with a 6.5Chev diesel. He is going across to the engineers this morning to confirm if the headaches are resolved or not. Apparently the flares were a total nightmare and the snake racing ones and a set of fibreglass ones also didnt fit with the 35" tyres, because they didn't want to modify the guard profile - which we all know is required. So this might just fail before it starts - changes to the VSB 14 rules are the headache. Maximum overall height of the vehicle is another issue, so springs would have to drop overall height close to standard, more bloody springs - just what I need.

PeeBee
5th September 2017, 12:29 PM
There used to be a guy on here called portal pat and he did a build. Not sure if he's still on here or not, or his info is still relevant.

Cant find the link with a search - another thread or tag name perhaps? I have read the Figjam thread but thats a totally different beast all together. Also nother of value to glean re portals apart from them used in the build.

DX grunt
5th September 2017, 01:12 PM
Try going to the individual build for each vehicle. Pretty sure it was quite a few years ago. Plasnart can u remember?

nissannewby
5th September 2017, 01:19 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?283-My-truck

This one.

PeeBee
5th September 2017, 01:23 PM

This one.

Many thanks, will see if AB can get the images up as well

MudRunnerTD
5th September 2017, 01:37 PM

This one.

Many thanks, will see if AB can get the images up as well

Yeah thats the one i mentioned in my post above. It would require AB to have access to his account with passwords to get the images. Unfortunately it is likely lost for ever. It was awesome as he fitted them to a basically new car and everything was spotless clean so the pics were awesome.

There is a couple of other threads on the forum with Portals. I searched Portal Pat and found a few others.

Plasnart
5th September 2017, 01:37 PM

This one.

Yep that one DX grunt :)

PeeBee
5th September 2017, 01:45 PM
OK, thanks guys. Waiting on Marks 4x4 to ring me back - will advise outcome., Real shame about photobucket though.

PeeBee
7th September 2017, 12:07 PM
Well, good news and bad unfortunately. GQ Patrols won't get approval to run 35" tyres with portal axles but GU Patrols will. The reason is the VSB 4 rules only allow for current models that have gone thru a 2 stage verification process for larger wheels, which Marks 4x4 did for the GU but never did for the GQ, hence its 33" max for the GQ. If the GU had not gone thru the second stage of testing before the Y62 came out, it also would not have been allowable to fit 35" tyres.

Everything else is doable and achievable from an engineering certification in Victoria. The clearance rises under the diff bowl to 125mm instead of 150mm, which I think is a small compromise. Wheels will stick outside the guards from where they are now by 100-120mm, and the wheels supplied at neg 60 offset and landcruiser pattern - they no longer make a nissan pattern portal.

MB
7th September 2017, 07:54 PM
Was chatting with AB yesterday Phil mate about our Vic boys in blue always pulling over cars/trucks that appear illegally modified. When folks spend big coin getting it done legally shouldn't the mods be officially listed against their plate numbers when they look up on their onboard system. Those 'Sheriff' road stops and auto cameras out your way seem to efficiently pull over outstanding vehicle owners warrants/fines listed against plates. Surely Vic-Roads could/should easily add to a national system that say your truck is an approved 6.5L Brunswick with Marks Adaptor portals and not waste everybody's time and money investigating roadside ;-)

Plasnart
7th September 2017, 08:17 PM
Was chatting with AB yesterday Phil mate about our Vic boys in blue always pulling over cars/trucks that appear illegally modified. When folks spend big coin getting it done legally shouldn't the mods be officially listed against their plate numbers when they look up on their onboard system. Those 'Sheriff' road stops and auto cameras out your way seem to efficiently pull over outstanding vehicle owners warrants/fines listed against plates. Surely Vic-Roads could/should easily add to a national system that say your truck is an approved 6.5L Brunswick with Marks Adaptor portals and not waste everybody's time and money investigating roadside ;-)

You are talking about Vicroads/govt department MB. Can you please explain where sense and sensibility apply here?

AB
7th September 2017, 08:29 PM
I like the idea but it could and probably would be exploited quite easily.

Get a plate from Vicroads for a different turbo and then slap on all kinds of crazy mods, lifts, tyres, etc...job done!

MB
7th September 2017, 08:42 PM
I'm certainly no computer techy bloke Plassy mate but every modified car I've owned has had the new engine numbers input on their system somewhere deep inside. Surely an extra 'Modified' drop down tick box thingo could be added to show up front and foremost Australia wide. Business wise I do take my hat off to mobs like Brunswick & Mark's etc... Huge time and money spent developing and testing products to become safely ADR approved and should come at a premium price and be properly acknowledged on all national systems. Good for employment and the country I says, all departments need to stop holding us all back mate ;-)

MB
7th September 2017, 08:49 PM
I like the idea but it could and probably would be exploited quite easily. Get a plate from Vicroads for a different turbo and then slap on all kinds of crazy mods, lifts, tyres, etc...job done! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not a secondary plate bro, I mean have a vehicles number plate search contain certified companies mods listed properly. I'm imagining a highway patrol Candy coloured car could tailgate a suspect vehicle and clearly see on their screen say 'Portals' by 'Mark's' and then not bother pulling a bloke over I guess?

PeeBee
7th September 2017, 09:29 PM
Unfortunately the mods are defined on the blue tag in the engine bay, so you have to go thru the stop and inspect. I like the concept but can see it being 'too hard' in practice. Not knowing what comes up on the search is half the battle also. I just hope the engineering mods made it onto the system after all the pain to get it over the line. I am still keen on this upgrade even with 33" wheels, so stay tuned.

PeeBee
7th September 2017, 09:34 PM

You are overlooking a fundamental point and that is there is no revenue to recover from identification of compliant and legal vehicles, hence its wasting processor time and capacity when they can be chasing money from defaulters and unregistered vehicles.

poindexter
9th September 2017, 08:55 PM
one of the things I noticed on their website, is the nominal clearance of the Nissan portals is 101mm increase, but the Toyotas are 150mm, wonder why.
also, can you run 16 inch rims, or are you forced to run 17s?
all my preferred tires are only available on the 16 inch rim size.

Ben-e-boy
10th September 2017, 03:20 PM
One of the things I have thought about for quite some time now when it comes to portals, is the extra force put onto the bushes and the control arms and what effect (if any?) they may have. Seeing as the force from wheels turning now has some mechanical advantage being below the axle Centre line

I know when people are building buggy's or something with portals, this machanical advantage is factored in when building the suspension. Not just material strength, but geometries aswell.

mudnut
10th September 2017, 04:18 PM
Superior make tough gear that should handle the extra stresses.

Ben-e-boy
10th September 2017, 04:40 PM
Not bushes though