PDA

View Full Version : fraser is recovery

megatexture
24th August 2017, 11:13 PM
we went to fraser island last week and were on our way back to camp fighting an incoming tide when we arrived at eli creek to find a so called 4b had died crossing the creek (no snorkel) and had been swept out into the wash, it took 3 snatch straps to reach the car and one broke on the 2nd pull so i went easy from then on as we had no others trying to time it with the waves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LOI3ieIi4c

GQtdauto
24th August 2017, 11:51 PM
Not pretty viewing , couldn't work out if you were hooked to the front or the back in the beginning .

megatexture
25th August 2017, 12:31 AM
next time ill set up a boom and a few cameras to make it pretty :smiley_thumbs_up:

gaddy
25th August 2017, 05:55 AM
Nice job bloke 👍

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

my third 256
25th August 2017, 07:52 AM
if she only new she bent over in front of the camera

GQtdauto
25th August 2017, 08:31 AM
next time ill set up a boom and a few cameras to make it pretty :smiley_thumbs_up:

I meant not good to see something bogged down that far with the tide coming in .

megatexture
25th August 2017, 08:57 AM
if she only new she bent over in front of the camera

haha yea not a good look:jawdrop: , she was freaking out and u can see her boyfriend with his hands on his head at one point . i can only assume they had no idea what they were doing when they tried to cross in that car .

mudski
25th August 2017, 09:14 AM
Top work there mate. I cannot understand why there is no rules in place to only allow certain vehicles onto the island. It would stop things like this from happening. But then I think about it more, that would just mean less money for the Island.... More need to be done I think to stop things like this happening. I saw similar incidents, not as bad as this one, on Moreton Island. Both were "cars" with full time 4wd.
And welcome back too bud. :)

TPC
25th August 2017, 09:33 AM
I could not tell, what was the car?
Eli creek catches a lot of people out, there are times you cannot cross it no mater what you drive.
Last time I was there we came across a new Prado that had just sucked in a load of water and hydrolocked his motor.

bazzaboy
25th August 2017, 10:04 AM
Bloody dangerous. Too many people giving directions. Too many people too close, especially after already snapping one snatch strap. Not snatching in a direct line pull. All high odds of getting someone injured.

mudnut
25th August 2017, 11:19 AM
Whatever make the recovered vehicle is, it is stuffed now, anyway. That bloke yelling to give it heaps was lucky not to get mowed down when the strap let go.

Realistically at least having a snorkel should be a requirement on the island . I know I won't make any friends over this , but I still think to own a 4X4 you need to have an endorsement on your licence.

A bit "Nanny State", but how many people are injured and vehicles written off, because of ignorance of even basic techniques. Tracks and camping grounds get damaged as well.

I have learnt so much about recovery just from being a member of this forum, and I still very much consider myself a novice 4x4 driver.

Mike02Ti
25th August 2017, 12:06 PM
First of all well done for helping someone out. As mentioned above the old bloke was lucky not to wear a shackle.

But the whole video i was thinking to myself why the hell was the winch not used in a double line pull? Better yet 2x winches if that was available and judging by the crowd there was probably another 4by with a winch there

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Hodge
25th August 2017, 01:27 PM
Good on you for helping out mate!
Love the sunset scenery... Wish we could do that down here in Mexico.

edit: nvm .

happygu
25th August 2017, 03:42 PM
Bloody dangerous. Too many people giving directions. Too many people too close, especially after already snapping one snatch strap. Not snatching in a direct line pull. All high odds of getting someone injured.

My thoughts too ( from afar without having all the knowledge and info on hand ) ... Good on ya Megatexture for giving it a go, but it was fairly dangerous with the amount of bystanders and helpful 'officials' around .... I would have thought surely someone else would lend a hand. A couple of vehicles together, with direct line pulls, and someone with a bit of knowledge of what can go wrong and how to do things safely controlling things from outside of the cars ( and keeping everyone else away ) would have made it a lot safer, quicker and easier.

All is well with this recovery, as nothing got damaged or no-one got injured, but the 'controller' ended up pretty lucky that he didn't cop a flying strap in the noggin.

megatexture
25th August 2017, 07:47 PM
a direct pull wasnt possible until the car was turned, you can see where the waves were reaching behind my tires so getting closer wasnt a good idea with the rising tide and it took 3 straps to reach the car. on the right is the creek so that was a no go area also so not sure how a straight pull is possible in this case.....
the only other person that seemed happy to put there car at risk was the white one behind mine in the vid who had no winch and it was his strap that broke.

that fella walking towards the strap just had no clue of the dangers, he did it twice but the other wasnt caught on vid

mudnut
25th August 2017, 08:31 PM
I did forget to say, good onya for helping them.

AB
25th August 2017, 09:05 PM
Troy mate, was he grateful of your efforts and was there a slab present offering for your efforts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

megatexture
25th August 2017, 10:14 PM
nope i left thirsty :frown:nothing was said to me personally but the girl did say thanks to my wife. i think they were just in such shock of what had happened .
i know they appreciated it just slipped there minds but hopefully they replaced old mates broken strap for him.

MB
25th August 2017, 11:17 PM
Awesome job helping out honestly MT :-)
Weird question, who's little girl and or boy is crying in the background mate? Always worries me how kids perceive 4x4 situations. For instance our youngest in her day used to freak out coming down the winding highway to school but we never knew severity until quietly discussing finally and reassuring upon descent start :-)

Winnie
26th August 2017, 09:09 AM
Good stuff Troy. Bastard of a situation and didn't look like an easy recovery. All those people giving directions would have pissed me off though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

TPC
26th August 2017, 09:30 AM
Good stuff Troy. Bastard of a situation and didn't look like an easy recovery. All those people giving directions would have pissed me off though.

Directions when doing a recovery can be like directions when reversing a trailer into a difficult spot, I always say I want to hear from one person and the rest should keep thier mouth shut.

PatrolLord
26th August 2017, 10:58 AM

Yes. Bloody dangerous to stand too close to a snatch strap. It is good they got the vehicle out of the water before the sea could have claimed it.

megatexture
26th August 2017, 12:55 PM
Awesome job helping out honestly MT :-)
Weird question, who's little girl and or boy is crying in the background mate? Always worries me how kids perceive 4x4 situations. For instance our youngest in her day used to freak out coming down the winding highway to school but we never knew severity until quietly discussing finally and reassuring upon descent start :-)

that would be my son and daughter, my daughter started crying as she knew it wasn't a good situation and was also worried about our car and my son just started crying because she was haha

megatexture
26th August 2017, 12:59 PM

if you ask my wife i'm good at tuning out when i don't want to hear :wink: