PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control "Command" brand

Dr Gary
15th August 2017, 04:37 PM
I have a Command cruise control in my 2006 3.0 Di. This was fitted by the dealer when the Patrol was new. Now it just does not "work" and no-one (including the dealer) wants to know about it. Seems after market cruise controls are orphans. My auto electrician will not even look at aftermarket units. I know the switch and IR pickup work--the indicator light comes on, so not the fuse.
I am considering just replacing the whole system BUT I have no way of knowing if the fault is the Command cruise control or the Patrol, and Nissan is not willing to tell me if they can check the car even if the cruise is disconnected.
Anyone have any ideas??
A decent system is $700, genuine -who knows.

4bye4
15th August 2017, 05:05 PM
I have a Command cruise control in my 2006 3.0 Di. This was fitted by the dealer when the Patrol was new. Now it just does not "work" and no-one (including the dealer) wants to know about it. Seems after market cruise controls are orphans. My auto electrician will not even look at aftermarket units. I know the switch and IR pickup work--the indicator light comes on, so not the fuse.
I am considering just replacing the whole system BUT I have no way of knowing if the fault is the Command cruise control or the Patrol, and Nissan is not willing to tell me if they can check the car even if the cruise is disconnected.
Anyone have any ideas??
A decent system is $700, genuine -who knows.

Have you tried this mob mate. http://www.tcag.com.au/

Dr Gary
16th August 2017, 03:32 PM
Looks like this is where I need to be. I will run diagnostics they supply and go from there. Thanks a lot.

Contacted Command Auto Group through the site above. They have a PDF Fault Finding document for many Command systems. I got the printout, ran the diagnostics and eventually called them. Very helpful, but the news is bad--actuator unit is worn out. Tiny electric motor pulls on the accelerator arm and no longer runs.
Replacement actuator unit $300 to $400.
I think I will replace the whole system with an electronic "plug and play" unit--around $700.
More as it occurs.

CarbonBird
31st August 2017, 11:16 AM
Dr Gary - pls keep us advised of the plug-n-play unit you fit to your GU - subscribed mate

Dr Gary
31st August 2017, 03:29 PM
I purchased an Autostrada unit, ECN1050 or 2531030 (same thing). Be sure to order the unit for your model Patrol. I chose the one with genuine Nissan switch--looks better. $625 including GST. This one came from All Four x 4 Spares through eBay. I think this was their last one, but Autostrada in Brisbane actually supply them.
It all works according to directions in the kit. Two issues I had--(1) the Pedal loom is a bear to get at--high on the drivers side under the dash. I fits fine, just need 500mm fingers. and (2) on about one in 20 Patrols, there is an alternative plug for the switch wire. There is no way to know except to try it. Mine needed changing. (3) Keep in mind the air bag needs to be disabled--make sure you know the routine.
I needed some advice, and Autostrada were quick to reply and knew all the answers. Highly recommended.
It took most of a day to fit the new unit, but I was going slow and careful. Incidentally, the plugs you need to connect with have a lock cover you need to open to get the very light plugs inserted and then locked in place.

Rumcajs
31st August 2017, 08:43 PM
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?38480-DIY-Aftermarket-cruise-control-installation