PDA

View Full Version : Seized spark plugs

4bye4
7th August 2017, 01:21 PM
In my work, I deal with small motors, usually 10 to 40 HP air cooled, single, two and four cyclinder, although we also have some water cooled engines similar to car engines. Our shop has noticed and increasing occurrence of spark plugs seizing in aluminium motors, stripping out the threads when removed. Initially this happened predominatly in Kawasaki motors, but has now spread to Kohler and Honda motors. Kawasaki has mentioned it in a tech bulletin, recommending the use of anti seize on plugs. The other manufacturers have yet to comment. I am just putting this up here as my belief is that there has been a change to the alloy that aluminium heads are made from or the construction of spark plugs or something that is causing this issue. I wondered if anyone has noticed this in the motor vehicle trade in aluminium heads? I recommend using a small dab of anti seize on spark plugs anyway as it seems to solve the problems.

mudnut
7th August 2017, 02:20 PM
Definitely use the anti-seize since I found a nearly seized plug in the RB30 head, the first time I changed out the plugs. I ended up buying the right sized tap and cleaned up the thread. It was bloody close to being a helicoil repair.

Avo
7th August 2017, 04:02 PM
3 kawasakis a 5 kholer motors on the farm,i may have to have a look and apply anti sieze...cheers.

4bye4
7th August 2017, 04:46 PM
3 kawasakis a 5 kholer motors on the farm,i may have to have a look and apply anti sieze...cheers.

If your spark plug comes out about a quarter of a turn then jams, screw it back in until you have a new head or motor ready to go. Usually it comes out that far then grabs the thread an rips everything out. Motors are Kawasaki FH451 and FS481, Kohler CH18 and CH20 and also CH680. Now starting to see it on all sorts of engines with aluminium heads, including Kabota and Kohler Aegis which are watercooled motors.

NissanGQ4.2
7th August 2017, 06:35 PM
Now you tell me!!!! yeh don't get me 2 take them out that's for sure :(

Farker is still stuck in there :(:(:(

P.S: My old man is an ex diesel mechanic and always puts a dab of anti seize on spark plugs when he changes his plugs ( TB4.2 EFI )

billyj
7th August 2017, 06:41 PM
yep always put a little anti seize on the threads when going into alloy heads

garett
7th August 2017, 08:45 PM
use the al based anti seize works better then the copper one.

dom14
8th August 2017, 11:04 PM
I make mine by mixing lithium grease with graphite powder.