PDA

View Full Version : Wireless control for Warn winch

bazzaboy
6th August 2017, 07:12 PM
G'Day,

Does anyone know if a reasonably priced "plug-in" wireless remote control exists to fit my 2014 Patrol Warn winch? It's a Warm 9000 that came as an extra in the Titanium model Patrol. All I can find are Warn brand wireless kits that cost an "arm & leg'. Has any other Titanium mode owners found something. Their a very well sealed unit and I don't particularly want to hard wire a
cabin switch if I have another option.

mudski
8th August 2017, 11:27 PM
I'll join in on this thread. I really CBF'ed hard wiring an in cab controller. Wireless seems the go. The on;y ones I have found on evil bay is those cheap chinese units or a kit from VRS. Which seems the be the better of the two.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-50ft-winch-Wireless-Remote-Control-Set-for-Truck-Jeep-ATV-Warn-/263088159030?epid=1490982847&hash=item3d4146b936:g:6d8AAOSwpINZZyna

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VRS-winch-wireless-remote-control-/262969859675?hash=item3d3a399e5b:g:RXEAAOSwaEhZDYL O

MudRunnerTD
8th August 2017, 11:43 PM
I'll join in on this thread. I really CBF'ed hard wiring an in cab controller. Wireless seems the go. The on;y ones I have found on evil bay is those cheap chinese units or a kit from VRS. Which seems the be the better of the two.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-50ft-winch-Wireless-Remote-Control-Set-for-Truck-Jeep-ATV-Warn-/263088159030?epid=1490982847&hash=item3d4146b936:g:6d8AAOSwpINZZyna

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VRS-winch-wireless-remote-control-/262969859675?hash=item3d3a399e5b:g:RXEAAOSwaEhZDYL O

That VRS kit would get my money.. In fact it may well get my money yet for the GUIV.

Plasnart
8th August 2017, 11:48 PM
What's wrong with bringing the hand piece through the window? Just sayin'. I like to keep things simple. Unless you're winch comping and not just doing it now and then.

Plasnart
8th August 2017, 11:54 PM
Carry on. I'm a simple man but understand people like to set up best practice regardless of regularity.

mudski
9th August 2017, 12:02 AM
That VRS kit would get my money.. In fact it may well get my money yet for the GUIV.
Yeah out of the two linked the VRS kit is the better for sure. Just not sure if thee any other kits.

What's wrong with bringing the hand piece through the window? Just sayin'. I like to keep things simple. Unless you're winch comping and not just doing it now and then.

Coz I'm lazy plassy. And cant be stuffed getting out and plugging in the lead. Not that I use my winch a lot.

Plasnart
9th August 2017, 12:18 AM
Yeah out of the two linked the VRS kit is the better for sure. Just not sure if thee any other kits.

Coz I'm lazy plassy. And cant be stuffed getting out and plugging in the lead. Not that I use my winch a lot.

I've only used the winch in anger three times in 7 years and am lazy too. Hence why i couldnt be stuffed stuffing around with tech options. I realise others throw themselves deeper and more often than I do, plus I'm a dinosaur. I understand others dive deeper than me and like to tech up, hence my backdown.

MB
9th August 2017, 12:25 AM
Have personally been fortunate enough to progress from descent hand winches 'Tirfors' to good 12v winches through time :-) Early years, shredded at least 2 x cords during chaotic situations. All the right things done, thought, cable over bullbar and wrapped via the mirror inside :-) These days do enjoy 'Rocker' type switches within hands reach whilst steering;-)

bazzaboy
9th August 2017, 05:03 AM

Wireless control is really handy if your stuck with a "self-recovery".

mudski
9th August 2017, 09:59 AM
I've only used the winch in anger three times in 7 years and am lazy too. Hence why i couldnt be stuffed stuffing around with tech options. I realise others throw themselves deeper and more often than I do, plus I'm a dinosaur. I understand others dive deeper than me and like to tech up, hence my backdown.

I'm pretty much the same now mate. My last bog hole at Tallarook which was over two years ago cost me over 2k in repairs so I just drive around stuff like that. Plus I cannot think of anything worse than winching. Annoying and slow. If I had a hi mount it would still be annoying, but not slow. I just think the wireless option would be handy, plus its a fairly simple and cheap upgrade. And handy for when I want to use my winch to rip tree stumps out. Lol.

bazzaboy
9th August 2017, 11:26 AM
I'm pretty much the same now mate. My last bog hole at Tallarook which was over two years ago cost me over 2k in repairs so I just drive around stuff like that. Plus I cannot think of anything worse than winching. Annoying and slow. If I had a hi mount it would still be annoying, but not slow. I just think the wireless option would be handy, plus its a fairly simple and cheap upgrade. And handy for when I want to use my winch to rip tree stumps out. Lol.

I think I may have found the "plug-in" one I'm after. Just waiting for confirmation that it fits the late model 5 pin Warns like mine. These have a "D' shape socket on the hand controller, not the older round type.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WARN-WIRELESS-REMOTE-CONTROL-SYSTEM-5-PIN-SOCKETS-ONLY-76080/162609003747?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

sooty_10
9th August 2017, 12:44 PM
for the sake of a few bucks I would go the VRS kit over the no name china one, simply based on the look / ruggedness of the controller. The Warn one would be the easiest with plug and play connector, but at over 3 times the price of the VRS... no thanks.

mudski
9th August 2017, 01:06 PM
for the sake of a few bucks I would go the VRS kit over the no name china one, simply based on the look / ruggedness of the controller. The Warn one would be the easiest with plug and play connector, but at over 3 times the price of the VRS... no thanks.

Yeah I just bought one. I'll add this to the pile of stuff I need to get done on my car. Haha!!!

sooty_10
9th August 2017, 01:20 PM
Good stuff let us all know how easy it was to install. The pile of "small" jobs I have to do just keeps getting longer. I have half the parts just need time these days to do it.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

MudRunnerTD
9th August 2017, 06:45 PM
I think I may have found the "plug-in" one I'm after. Just waiting for confirmation that it fits the late model 5 pin Warns like mine. These have a "D' shape socket on the hand controller, not the older round type.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WARN-WIRELESS-REMOTE-CONTROL-SYSTEM-5-PIN-SOCKETS-ONLY-76080/162609003747?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Wow. Yeah I'd be buying the VRS one for sure. Basically the same unit. If you really want that earn job I'd go in Amazon and price that kit out of the US.

MB
10th August 2017, 05:54 PM
I'm sure it is a silly question being that I am seriously elecy challenged. Are any of these remote controlled jobbies prone to interference gents? Again silly, but I remember as a kid two brothers were gifted radio controlled toy cars that caused one hell of a ruckus :-)