PDA

View Full Version : Flexi coils shock length ????

91Mavman
2nd August 2017, 05:46 PM
Hi all, maybe a noob question here but I can't find the exact answer to my question.

I want to put a set of 3" raised Dobinsons Flexi coils in now and do the shocks later. My reading leads me to believe the best shock length for 3" Flexi coils in my LWB Maverick is 4" front and 6" rear. My question is when people say 6" shocks, do they mean shocks suitable for a 6" lift ? So I can just buy any shocks suitable for a 6" lift ?

Thanks

MudRunnerTD
2nd August 2017, 07:05 PM
Not really mate. You will be on the limit running stock shocks and 3" coil though so avoid off road work or wait and save.

You should wait until the coils are in then measure the distance between your top and bottom mount of your rear shocks. Once tou have this messurement you should buy a shock where this messurement is about halfway through the shock travel. If you match it this way you will have equal up and down travel.

If your shock is too long then it will be nearly closed when sitting and you will have very limited up travel and your bump stops will not work and you c would smash your shocks. They will be very long on the down stroke and will either be great or the coil drops out.....

91Mavman
3rd August 2017, 05:02 PM
Ok thanks for the clarification. Sounds like springs and shocks are better bought together so the supplier can advise on recommended shock lengths etc. I'll hold off on buying the springs for now.

Cheers

91Mavman
4th August 2017, 04:27 PM
Anyone have suggestions for my particular needs ? Used only on weekends for 4WDing, not carrying any load, want max flex, lowest cost.

I only paid a few grand for the truck so don't want to spend thousands on suspension. After 3" lift with good flex. Like I said it's not my daily so I'm only after Offroad bang for buck.

Cheers

Ben-e-boy
4th August 2017, 05:40 PM
Anyone have suggestions for my particular needs ? Used only on weekends for 4WDing, not carrying any load, want max flex, lowest cost.

I only paid a few grand for the truck so don't want to spend thousands on suspension. After 3" lift with good flex. Like I said it's not my daily so I'm only after Offroad bang for buck.

Cheers

How much do you want to spend. It will all add up, once you've bought springs, shocks, adjustable panhards, draglink, drop boxes, adjustable control arms etc.

91Mavman
8th August 2017, 08:14 AM
Was going to be too difficult to get it working the way I want and save $$$ at the same time. Decided to order one of these kits.

https://www.superiorengineering.com.au/4x4-suspension/suspension-lift-kits/superior-nitro-gas-3-inch-lift-kit-nissan-patrol-gq-basic-26585?filter=251,355

I assume they will offer longer shocks when they call me to confirm spring rates and vehicle usage etc ? Their branded shocks from 2"-6" are all the same price.

91Mavman
13th August 2017, 08:38 PM
Well Superior Engineering called and they have matched the 3" springs with 4" shocks. I assume I'll need to extend bumpstops so I don't wreck the shocks. Can anyone provide guidance on approx how much I would need to extend them front and rear ? Or should they be ok with standard bumpstops ?

Thanks

Ben-e-boy
13th August 2017, 09:05 PM
You'll have to measure your clearence between the bump stop and the diff(if any)when installed at full up travel. Make sure you leave a safety margin as the bump stop will compress