PDA

View Full Version : Auto Lokka

Throbbinhood
31st July 2017, 12:26 PM
Hey guys, so I'm getting an auto lokka off a bloke who's upgrading to an air locker. Yeah yeah, I know, selectable lockers are the bee's knees but they're nowhere near my price range. I can get this auto lokka second hand for $100 so it's worth the gamble.

Any immediate things to look out for? What should I be getting/do I need for the install? Any way to test it before installing etc?

I know I can buy new for 400 or so, but single income family means it isn't gonna happen, so looking for help with above, thankyou.

Ben-e-boy
31st July 2017, 01:22 PM
There are springs and pins that help the lokka locate while it is doing its thing. Make sure they a not broken. Thats about it reall

Throbbinhood
31st July 2017, 01:49 PM
No worries. I just watched a locker fitting video on youtube, spankerfest or something. My only question was a thrust washer he uses. It looked like he got that off his existing diff gear thing that he removed and put it on the lokka? Does that sound right?

Throbbinhood
31st July 2017, 03:30 PM
Also it's coming out of a 4.6diff, mine is a 4.3, will it be suitable?

growler2058
31st July 2017, 07:29 PM
I love the auto LoKKa mate. Like Ben said check the springs and pins aren't FUBAR. Install is easy. You tube's your friend there

growler2058
31st July 2017, 07:29 PM
No worries. I just watched a locker fitting video on youtube, spankerfest or something. My only question was a thrust washer he uses. It looked like he got that off his existing diff gear thing that he removed and put it on the lokka? Does that sound right?

Was that the front or rear?

Throbbinhood
1st August 2017, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the replies Growler, yeah the one I'm getting is for the front. I believe the video for the front as well. I saw the pins in the video, didn't see any springs though. Are they hiding elsewhere? Video's in question linked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llaqhUs8_yk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMibycf4MrQ&t=335s

growler2058
1st August 2017, 06:05 PM
The springs hold the pins mate, well push them in a constant locked position until turning (power off) From memory i dont rekon rario makes a difference to the LoKKa brand

Throbbinhood
2nd August 2017, 11:35 AM
Ah ok, no worries thanks mate! Will be a good score if it's all working and I get it at that price.

Do you still run normal front diff oil afterwards?

growler2058
2nd August 2017, 05:38 PM
Yeah mate...

Throbbinhood
15th August 2017, 05:06 PM
Sorry guys, last couple of questions..

Looks like there are four main parts to the locker itself - the two outer gears that the axles slide into, and the two sandwich plates that go into the middle? Sound about right?

And lastly, how many springs/pins are there meant to be? Four of each?

Throbbinhood
16th August 2017, 10:50 AM
Anyone? Bueller... Bueller...

Rumcajs
16th August 2017, 08:05 PM
Here Bud all the answers ==>>>

4WD Systems LOKKA (https://www.4wdsystems.com.au/index.php?id=29)

And 2 of each...

Installation is not "that" easy. You need a work shop vice large enough to grab hold of a crown wheel/diff housing, air gun to undo bolts for crown wheel (bitch to tension back up without a press)....

It is doable DIY but you stil need some equipment most/some DIY people don't necessarily have.

If you are not careful you can easily ruin the end half caps threads as you trying to line them back up while not disrupting the backlash/end float adjustment nuts.

It is still a big job considering that you have to dismantle/remove each hub, pull half shafts put etc. You may coincide this job with redoing your CV joints lubrication and inspection, wheel bearing repack and seals change or any other front end jobs you've been putting off for a while...

Don't foget that you will need to either convert your auto locking hubs to manual only or replace them with manual hubs.

The LOKKA clicking when unlocking will drive you insane if you don't on hard surfaces especially round corners at faster speed.

Regards

Throbbinhood
17th August 2017, 12:09 PM
Here Bud all the answers ==>>>

4WD Systems LOKKA (https://www.4wdsystems.com.au/index.php?id=29)

And 2 of each...

Installation is not "that" easy. You need a work shop vice large enough to grab hold of a crown wheel/diff housing, air gun to undo bolts for crown wheel (bitch to tension back up without a press)....

It is doable DIY but you stil need some equipment most/some DIY people don't necessarily have.

If you are not careful you can easily ruin the end half caps threads as you trying to line them back up while not disrupting the backlash/end float adjustment nuts.

It is still a big job considering that you have to dismantle/remove each hub, pull half shafts put etc. You may coincide this job with redoing your CV joints lubrication and inspection, wheel bearing repack and seals change or any other front end jobs you've been putting off for a while...

Don't foget that you will need to either convert your auto locking hubs to manual only or replace them with manual hubs.

The LOKKA clicking when unlocking will drive you insane if you don't on hard surfaces especially round corners at faster speed.

Regards

Thanks Rumcajs

I did cv/swivel hubs/wheel bearings etc only a couple of months ago, but I'll regrease anything that needs it and retension whilst I'm there.

Yeah, I've got the airtools, no press or big vice though, friend has a big vice which I may be able to use. Not sure on the torque wrench, wonder how many ugga ugga's on the rattle gun will be sufficient during reassembly