PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding td42 after injector rail replacement

my93maverick
24th July 2017, 06:09 PM
Hey guys i just changed the injector spill rail on my 93 td42 maverick i bleed the injector pump and have fuel coming out of the injector rails when i try to start it but no luck it just keeps turning over sometimes might fire on a few cylinders but no good would anyone have some suggestions on what i might try to do?
Cheers guys.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

GQtdauto
24th July 2017, 06:51 PM
Are you sure your priming pump is working ok , bled the screw on top of the pump properly ? Sounds like there's still air in there somewhere .

my93maverick
24th July 2017, 08:01 PM
Pretty sure i have, should that be the only way you should need to bleed the injectors, there would have been a heap of air in the fuel rail when i changed it

GQtdauto
24th July 2017, 08:18 PM
Nah I think you have to crack each line , one by one it just depends on what's happened ie run out of fuel , done what you did etc .
I've only had to bleed once when I worked on the injector pump but gave it a good prime until I was happy with it , then after starting I ran around to the prime pump and pumped the bejesus out of it in case it stopped .
If your pumps primed and your injectors are primed it should go .
Have you tried getting someone to crank it over while you hand prime .

my93maverick
24th July 2017, 08:50 PM
I haven't tried that yet ill give it a crack tomorrow see how it goes thank you for all your help mate let yous know how i go fingers crossed [emoji4]

my93maverick
24th July 2017, 08:52 PM
It has a massive weird ass hand primer pump on it to looks like something off a 1950s massey Ferguson lol definitely needs to be changed out for a better pne but i cant see this being a issue

GQtdauto
24th July 2017, 09:33 PM
Should be a circular black plate type thing on the fuel filter that you push down repeatedly , might have been modified , I thought the old masseys had a tiny handle type piston pump .

my93maverick
24th July 2017, 11:19 PM
Yeah they do lol was just referencing an old diesel tractor and the massey sprang to mind although atm the massey is more reliable than the maverick lol, its a weird setup has a long pipe coming off the top of it pointing towards the motor with a handle you unwind at the end then you pull it out and push it back in closet thing i can think its like is a push bike pump if you know what i mean

my93maverick
24th July 2017, 11:24 PM
Cant even find any photos of one on the internet will take a pic tomorrow

GQtdauto
24th July 2017, 11:35 PM
Cant even find any photos of one on the internet will take a pic tomorrow

Someone has changed it somewhere , should be the same as mine in the 94 GQ .

my93maverick
25th July 2017, 07:03 AM
Yeah definitely been changed im thinking when they put the turbo on it

my93maverick
26th July 2017, 06:59 PM
Yeah definitely been changed im thinking when they put the turbo on it

This is wat i have in way of a fuel filter and primer its an absolute bitch of a thing lol still no luck starting it i tried again this afternoon [emoji22] [emoji22] [emoji22] [emoji22] [emoji22]

GQtdauto
26th July 2017, 07:50 PM
This is wat i have in way of a fuel filter and primer its an absolute bitch of a thing lol still no luck starting it i tried again this afternoon [emoji22] [emoji22] [emoji22] [emoji22] [emoji22]

Where are you at mate , maybe we have a friendly member close who could give it a look at .

my93maverick
26th July 2017, 07:53 PM

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TapatalkTrying to post a picture of the pump, im located in maitland n.s.w http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/07/299.jpg

GQtdauto
26th July 2017, 08:12 PM
Dude that looks like it's off an old bit of ag machinery !! It's definitely pumping ok , you're absolutely sure of that ?
If all you have done is replace injector lines and the motor won't start it points towards air in the system , if you've bled the pump , then cracked each line one by one it should fire .
Sometimes hand priming while someone turns it over can help if you have all of the air out .

Hopefully one of gurus will read this and have a better suggestion for you or you maybe lucky and someone might be nearby or know someone you can contact .

my93maverick
26th July 2017, 08:41 PM
Dude that looks like it's off an old bit of ag machinery !! It's definitely pumping ok , you're absolutely sure of that ?
If all you have done is replace injector lines and the motor won't start it points towards air in the system , if you've bled the pump , then cracked each line one by one it should fire .
Sometimes hand priming while someone turns it over can help if you have all of the air out .

Hopefully one of gurus will read this and have a better suggestion for you or you maybe lucky and someone might be nearby or know someone you can contact .Seems to be pumping ok when i loosen the bleed screw on the injector pump it pushes diesel out, it doesn't even try to fire

GQtdauto
26th July 2017, 08:44 PM
Hey guys i just changed the injector spill rail on my 93 td42 maverick i bleed the injector pump and have fuel coming out of the injector rails when i try to start it but no luck it just keeps turning over sometimes might fire on a few cylinders but no good would anyone have some suggestions on what i might try to do?
Cheers guys.

Just rereading your original post to make sure I haven't missed something obvious but a few questions come to mind .

Was the car going before you changed the (spill rail) ?

Is that the only part you removed ?

my93maverick
26th July 2017, 08:49 PM
Just rereading your original post to make sure I haven't missed something obvious but a few questions come to mind .

Was the car going before you changed the (spill rail) ?

Is that the only part you removed ?Sorry mate should have mentioned that car was going before changing the fuel rail was a little rough but i think that was the crack in the aluminum rail, we did a 2 inch body lift the day before, after i changed the fuel rail it started but was really rough so i turned it off after a few seconds tried starting it again and just turns over.

GQtdauto
26th July 2017, 09:23 PM
I'm wishing one our diesel gurus would show up about now , the 2" lift in itself shouldn't normally affect anything to do with the fuel system unless you've inadvertently somehow pinched the fuel line , just looking at your photo that red hose going to the filter is fuel hose isn't it ? And the black hose on the other side appears to be somewhat kinked .
You are using the glow plugs ? The glowplugs are connected and working ? Glowplugs not working or not working properly will make it a bitch to start and could make it a bit lumpy to start with but won't affect the running after that .
I'm almost tempted to get you to spray a bit of start you barstard into the air cleaner to see what happens .

GQtdauto
26th July 2017, 09:58 PM
Also check your fuel filter to make sure it's good , it's full of fuel and not leaking .

GQtdauto
26th July 2017, 10:47 PM
Must be the maverick thing not a lot of help for some reason , I've had a squiz around and found this for you but because of the fact it wasn't running right to begin with it might pay you to check the fuel lines from back to front for kinks or damage
Check your fuel filter and O rings for it then bleed the filter .
The below instructions were lifted from elsewhere I've just deleted the bits about the usual bleed for the filter and pumping because yours is different .
This guy suggested bleeding the top of the pump first ( bleedscrew) but you've already done that so if your filter and filter seals are ok try it as below .

If the engine cranks for a while (10 seconds or so) and doesn't sound like starting, give it a second go before moving on to bleeding the injectors. DO NOT bleed the line at the top of the injector pump again, move DIRECTLY to the large union nuts on the top of each injector! Loosen them all approximately two turns using two spanners, one holding the injector and one on the pipe union to avoid damaging the return lines or the injectors. Then have an assistant to crank the engine for 5-7 second intervals with a similar 'cool down' between each cranking session! Tighten each pipe as bubble free fuel begins to flow from the loosened injector unions. If the engine begins to run, just let it continue to idle as you tighten the remaining loose union nuts.

If the union nuts on top of the injector do NOT leak, THEN you can try bleeding the injector pump at the inlet hose once more, making sure that you pump until bubble free fuel is bleeding from the nut before tightening it up again. If you do not get fuel from the injectors and then still do not get fuel from the injector pump inlet hose, there is a problem with either the injector pump itself, the fuel cut solenoid, or the mechanical system.

If you have been running for a while on contaminated fuel, there is a possibility that the engine would previously run at above idle revs but not start easily or continue to run at idle. This can mean that the engine may start after prolonged cranking, but stop again as soon as the revs are let drop down to idle. This is as a result of the injector pump being damaged sufficiently that it will not pump sufficient fuel to keep the engine running at low revs, and it is this sort of problem that can result in the lack of fuel at the injector pump mentioned above, altho if you can spin it up fast enough, it will pump sufficient fuel at higher revs!

Even tho you might find that you cannot get fuel from the pump as mentioned above, if you are in a remote area and you are aware that you may have been running on contaminated fuel, then it is worth an attempt at starting with prolonged cranking, or even a tow start. DO NOT do this or try this if you are within reasonable distance or time of a repair facility, it is only a 'last resort' attempt and it may well damage the pump beyond easy repair! However, if you can get it started you may be able to run the engine so that you can drive for some time/distance by keeping the revs at fast idle or above! Keep this in mind for that really bad day that hopefully will never occur for you!

Good Luck!

my93maverick
26th July 2017, 11:07 PM
Also check your fuel filter to make sure it's good , it's full of fuel and not leaking .Yeah i might pop down repco tomorrow grab a new filter, it really does have me stumped am i going to do any real long term engine damage trying to turn it over and missing?

GQtdauto
26th July 2017, 11:12 PM
Battery is your main problem mate , so as it says give it a rest inbetween but otherwise shouldn't affect the donk .
When using that priming pump it should get harder to pump as the system is bled out .

my93maverick
26th July 2017, 11:13 PM
Must be the maverick thing not a lot of help for some reason , I've had a squiz around and found this for you but because of the fact it wasn't running right to begin with it might pay you to check the fuel lines from back to front for kinks or damage
Check your fuel filter and O rings for it then bleed the filter .
The below instructions were lifted from elsewhere I've just deleted the bits about the usual bleed for the filter and pumping because yours is different .
This guy suggested bleeding the top of the pump first ( bleedscrew) but you've already done that so if your filter and filter seals are ok try it as below .

If the engine cranks for a while (10 seconds or so) and doesn't sound like starting, give it a second go before moving on to bleeding the injectors. DO NOT bleed the line at the top of the injector pump again, move DIRECTLY to the large union nuts on the top of each injector! Loosen them all approximately two turns using two spanners, one holding the injector and one on the pipe union to avoid damaging the return lines or the injectors. Then have an assistant to crank the engine for 5-7 second intervals with a similar 'cool down' between each cranking session! Tighten each pipe as bubble free fuel begins to flow from the loosened injector unions. If the engine begins to run, just let it continue to idle as you tighten the remaining loose union nuts.

If the union nuts on top of the injector do NOT leak, THEN you can try bleeding the injector pump at the inlet hose once more, making sure that you pump until bubble free fuel is bleeding from the nut before tightening it up again. If you do not get fuel from the injectors and then still do not get fuel from the injector pump inlet hose, there is a problem with either the injector pump itself, the fuel cut solenoid, or the mechanical system.

If you have been running for a while on contaminated fuel, there is a possibility that the engine would previously run at above idle revs but not start easily or continue to run at idle. This can mean that the engine may start after prolonged cranking, but stop again as soon as the revs are let drop down to idle. This is as a result of the injector pump being damaged sufficiently that it will not pump sufficient fuel to keep the engine running at low revs, and it is this sort of problem that can result in the lack of fuel at the injector pump mentioned above, altho if you can spin it up fast enough, it will pump sufficient fuel at higher revs!

Even tho you might find that you cannot get fuel from the pump as mentioned above, if you are in a remote area and you are aware that you may have been running on contaminated fuel, then it is worth an attempt at starting with prolonged cranking, or even a tow start. DO NOT do this or try this if you are within reasonable distance or time of a repair facility, it is only a 'last resort' attempt and it may well damage the pump beyond easy repair! However, if you can get it started you may be able to run the engine so that you can drive for some time/distance by keeping the revs at fast idle or above! Keep this in mind for that really bad day that hopefully will never occur for you!

Good Luck!Thanks heaps mate thats a very heplful guide i will give it a crack tomorrow after work [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2]

my93maverick
26th July 2017, 11:37 PM
So a little off topic now i take it some ppl on here are a little biased towards the old mavericks correct me of im wrong?

my93maverick
26th July 2017, 11:44 PM
I'm wishing one our diesel gurus would show up about now , the 2" lift in itself shouldn't normally affect anything to do with the fuel system unless you've inadvertently somehow pinched the fuel line , just looking at your photo that red hose going to the filter is fuel hose isn't it ? And the black hose on the other side appears to be somewhat kinked .
You are using the glow plugs ? The glowplugs are connected and working ? Glowplugs not working or not working properly will make it a bitch to start and could make it a bit lumpy to start with but won't affect the running after that .
I'm almost tempted to get you to spray a bit of start you barstard into the air cleaner to see what happens .Lol yeah i try to avoid the old start ya bastard, yeah im not real fond of the black hose on the filter would definitely be restricting it but its been that way since iv owned it for the last 3 years, glow plugs work fine before this so should still be ok ill get a mate around tomorrow to help crank it over while i crack the injector line one by one got the batt on charge now.

GQtdauto
26th July 2017, 11:54 PM
Used to own one but a petrol variant , look I'm stunned by the response you're getting everyone is usually very helpful , it's not as if you're a new member and didn't do an intro so I really don't know .
Sometimes if there's no one around that knows the others might not want to say anything in case it's wrong and with your problem it has a lot of it could be this or it could be that .
Yes it was playing up a bit before but you had a likely culprit if you had a leak in that line , just a matter of problem solving by going back to the start of the system and working forward .
Hope you kept the area clean so you didn't get any crud into the injector by the way , one last thing is on some injector pumps just below the banjo bolt for the fuel inlet there is a thimble like mesh strainer which can become blocked , most pull them out and throw them away but the experts say they should be there as a last line of defence to stop dirt getting in your injectors .
We only hate Toyotas really a maverick is just a rebadged Nissan .

my93maverick
27th July 2017, 12:01 AM
Used to own one but a petrol variant , look I'm stunned by the response you're getting everyone is usually very helpful , it's not as if you're a new member and didn't do an intro so I really don't know .
Sometimes if there's no one around that knows the others might not want to say anything in case it's wrong and with your problem it has a lot of it could be this or it could be that .
Yes it was playing up a bit before but you had a likely culprit if you had a leak in that line , just a matter of problem solving by going back to the start of the system and working forward .
Hope you kept the area clean so you didn't get any crud into the injector by the way , one last thing is on some injector pumps just below the banjo bolt for the fuel inlet there is a thimble like mesh strainer which can become blocked , most pull them out and throw them away but the experts say they should be there as a last line of defence to stop dirt getting in your injectors .
We only hate Toyotas really a maverick is just a rebadged Nissan .Lol well thanks for the tips anyways mate i do appreciate it but you're right im just gunna have to go front to back on this one bloody real pain in the ass though nothing worse when something seems so simple but puts up a fight the whole way [emoji35]

GQtdauto
27th July 2017, 01:03 AM
Yeah I think it's possible you have multiple niggly problems that are just compounding .

mudski
27th July 2017, 08:33 AM
So a little off topic now i take it some ppl on here are a little biased towards the old mavericks correct me of im wrong?

I wouldn't think so. Its just a Patrol in a nighty! Lol.
Anyways GQtdauto has been outstanding with advise. I cant really input much here as everything I thought of has been said. I'd just double check the glow plugs and make sure they are powering up. Just to take this out of the equation. Then try the bleeding process GQtd had posted. And I'd be tempted to put a CAV setup with built in primer in replace of the filter you have. Or even move the filter to the rhs of the motor like the GU's, and get an OEM filter setup. Then you know this part is right.

GQtdauto
27th July 2017, 09:24 AM
"Just a patrol in a nightie" you crack me up , funniest thing I've ever heard Mudski .
Thanks for the input mate , definitely a weird primer setup mod and although it has worked for the three years he's owned it , hard to know what condition it's in .

my93maverick
27th July 2017, 10:58 AM
"Just a patrol in a nightie" you crack me up , funniest thing I've ever heard Mudski .
Thanks for the input mate , definitely a weird primer setup mod and although it has worked for the three years he's owned it , hard to know what condition it's in .Very true i might just chuck that primer away grab a good one with a water separator on it as well

GQtdauto
27th July 2017, 11:04 AM
Mine has the filter and water separator on it from stock , which also has the water alarm fitted as standard OEM .

my93maverick
27th July 2017, 07:43 PM
I am very very very happy to report the big td42 is alive and running better than ever, had a mate come around this afternoon after work we tried bleeding injectors doing all the other stuff mentioned above but she still persisted to put up a fight so after around another 15 minutes of nothing my mate suggested a clutch start i really didn't want to do this but i was seeing no other option, after a quick snatch up the road and a clutch start she fired mind you was only on about 4 cylinders i think so i put the boot down back up the hill changed into second and she literally just shot off like a bat out of hell, have turned it off for about 20 minutes tried restarting and all is well doesn't shake rattle nothing best i have seen the old girl in years i cant thank gqtdauto enough for all his help with this problem [emoji106][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

GQtdauto
27th July 2017, 07:48 PM
I am very very very happy to report the big td42 is alive and running better than ever, had a mate come around this afternoon after work we tried bleeding injectors doing all the other stuff mentioned above but she still persisted to put up a fight so after around another 15 minutes of nothing my mate suggested a clutch start i really didn't want to do this but i was seeing no other option, after a quick snatch up the road and a clutch start she fired mind you was only on about 4 cylinders i think so i put the boot down back up the hill changed into second and she literally just shot off like a bat out of hell, have turned it off for about 20 minutes tried restarting and all is well doesn't shake rattle nothing best i have seen the old girl in years i cant thank gqtdauto enough for all his help with this problem [emoji106][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

Perhaps you should have tried the start you barstard , congrats mate at least it's going .

my93maverick
27th July 2017, 07:50 PM
Perhaps you should have tried the start you barstard , congrats mate at least it's going .Iv been told that start ya bastard isnt good to use on diesel powered engines probably really depends on the problem i guess

GQtdauto
27th July 2017, 07:55 PM
Iv been told that start ya bastard isnt good to use on diesel powered engines probably really depends on the problem i guess

I know the boss used to start two tractors with aero start years ago and both diesel , given the stuff you can inject with the diesel for better economy and power I'd be amazed if a quick squirt would do damage but never been that desperate to try it , will ask my mechanic though for future reference.

my93maverick
27th July 2017, 08:00 PM
Lol was my boss that told me not to use it in the loaders each to there own he has a strong believing that once you use it you'll always have to, we did have a old forklift that needed start ya bastard every morning or she wouldn't start

GQtdauto
27th July 2017, 08:01 PM
Dude you have got to read the blurb on start you barstard , guess what one of its recommended uses is for diesel motors ?

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/aerosols/Start_Ya_Bastard_Instant_Engine_Starter

my93maverick
27th July 2017, 08:10 PM
Dude you have got to read the blurb on start you barstard , guess what one of its recommended uses is for diesel motors ?

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/aerosols/Start_Ya_Bastard_Instant_Engine_StarterLol yeah maybe i should have gave it a go

GQtdauto
27th July 2017, 08:14 PM
Yeah I'll keep that in the memory bank if I'm ever in your situation.
Clearly states helps to start Diesel engines after bleeding .

my93maverick
27th July 2017, 08:29 PM
It must have been leaking air somewhere before i changed the rail to because its never sounded so good and actually builds up boost easier and takes off, used to be a little sluggy before especially around 2k now just revs and revs lol

GQtdauto
27th July 2017, 08:39 PM
Yeah I meant to ask you about that , did you replace the fuel filter ? Heard quite a few times that someone had trouble with the running and found a leak at the filter .
main thing is it's going and better than before .

mudski
28th July 2017, 11:30 AM
Perhaps you should have tried the start you barstard , congrats mate at least it's going .

Iv been told that start ya bastard isnt good to use on diesel powered engines probably really depends on the problem i guess

Farking smells great that stuff too. Every can purchased comes free with a plastic bag. Ahhhhhhhh!:eek:

GQtdauto
28th July 2017, 11:37 AM
Farking smells great that stuff too. Every can purchased comes free with a plastic bag. Ahhhhhhhh!:eek:

Says on the can has many uses !

my93maverick
28th July 2017, 12:40 PM
Farking smells great that stuff too. Every can purchased comes free with a plastic bag. Ahhhhhhhh!:eek:Hahaha [emoji106]thats gold