PDA

View Full Version : Equaliser strap v's tree trunk strap

Mc4by
13th July 2017, 11:38 AM
Can someone explain the difference to me please?
I thought they were the same thing just used in different contexts.
Now I see SC advertising both as separate items.
Just bought my first winch and looking to get the right gear.

the evil twin
13th July 2017, 02:00 PM
Technically speaking, an equaliser strap is a 'method' more so than a 'thing'
Purpose made Tree trunk protectors are often shorter and can be significantly wider to give the best protection, others are a compromise.

Equalisers are often preferred to be narrow/skinny so the snatch block or shackle (if in use) or the hook, eye of the winch extension or eye of the snatch strap (if a single line pull) can move more freely to 'equalise' the load.

Having said that, in most cases they will be interchangeable if you use them within their rated capacity and watch the sling load angle.

FWIW I carry a 20mm x 4 metre length of Dyneema for equalising loads and not a strap

Bottom line is most people will carry one or the other and rarely both

Cuppa
13th July 2017, 02:13 PM
Just packed ours this morning. 1x equaliser strap & 1 x tree trunk protector. They are identical & were advertised as 'equaliser strap/tree protector'.

Speaking of straps I'm still not sure if I need to carry both snatch straps I have. An 8000kg & a 12000kg. I'd rather carry just the 8000kg one, but am uncertain how this might go if I ever need to be snatched with Tvan attached? (Max of around 5000kg)

mudski
13th July 2017, 03:51 PM
Just packed ours this morning. 1x equaliser strap & 1 x tree trunk protector. They are identical & were advertised as 'equaliser strap/tree protector'.

Speaking of straps I'm still not sure if I need to carry both snatch straps I have. An 8000kg & a 12000kg. I'd rather carry just the 8000kg one, but am uncertain how this might go if I ever need to be snatched with Tvan attached? (Max of around 5000kg)
Take them both mate. Last thing you want it to snap one and not have a spare. I snapped a brand new 8000kg strap a while back. Brand new! Luckily I have a spare to keep the recovery going.

04OFF
14th July 2017, 01:25 PM

If your strap rating is supposed to be 2-3 times the GVM, the 12000kg sounds like it may be the one to choose if you only took one, id still take both as you may need to recover a smaller vehicle, or at worst use the strap as a winch extension (not really what there designed for, but saved my bacon one time)

BillsGU
21st July 2017, 09:44 AM
I think of the strap as a "fuse" during a recovery. I would rather that the strap broke than a piece torn off either vehicle. I have only ever used an 8000 kg strap. If it breaks then maybe other options need to be looked at IMHO.