PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Upgrade

Dr Gary
11th July 2017, 04:47 PM
Has anyone used this type of lamp replacement--sounds ok but...

On eBay:
H4 252W 25200LM LED Headlight Kit Bulbs HIGH LOW Beam Replace Halogen AU STOCK

Looks like 10 amps per side, just not sure if that is for high beam or split between high and low.
Any feedback will help.
Thanks

eBay item number:
So I purchased this 152575311647. I will install and post my opinion. About 3 weeks delivery--maybe making it (:

gdb
11th July 2017, 07:21 PM
G'day Gary from Garry. I'm interested in this my self as I am sick of replacing my globes. I don't have Jap hands so, my headlights have to come out everytime a globe fails. And for some reason my ones blow a lot... Will subsrcibe to this thread to see what's said.
Cheers.

garett
11th July 2017, 07:39 PM
had good results with these http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/JW-Speaker-Headlight-Kit-Conversion-LED-H4-12-24v-6000K/523563
not sure how they would go in a mud puddle ...

Skitzyrex
11th July 2017, 09:56 PM
I got a set of these from the US. Think they're brilliant
http://www.opt-7.com/fluxbeam-x-motorcycle-led-headlight/

shantillylais
11th July 2017, 10:43 PM
I have only recently bought my GU, and headlight performance is something I need where I live. I haven't got an answer for the GU, but I had a Subi Outback that ate globes for breakfast!! It was also a 2 hour job to replace them, such a ridiculous set up. Anyway in the process of trying to find decent light and reasonable life, I was told by Phillips lighting that 2 things reduce life span, 1. running headlights constantly (globes have an "hour" lifespan, and 2. extra power reduces life, great in the short term, expect to replace more often. In the end, I opted for upgrading my headlights to HID with the special reflectors. Expensive... yes, but replacing globes every 6 months is expensive as well and very time consuming, let alone getting stung by the highway cops for headlights out. The first thing I did to my Patrol was fit daylight running lights, so I dont have to use the headlights, then a wiring upgrade so that I get max voltage at the headlight, they have pitiful wiring at the plug!!

Sprock
12th July 2017, 10:52 PM
I'm looking at the Speaker H4 led replacement, a few blokes I know run them in Kenworths with 7" hella headlights & love the light output , unsure how they'll go in GU lights with their reflector setup .

toby.gu
18th July 2017, 02:30 PM
a mate of mine did a projector conversion on his ute and it looked great. excellent penetration on long roads

mudski
18th July 2017, 07:23 PM
I'm looking at the Speaker H4 led replacement, a few blokes I know run them in Kenworths with 7" hella headlights & love the light output , unsure how they'll go in GU lights with their reflector setup .

Speaker lamps are real pricey. But a good bit of kit. Just remember LED headlights are a no no in Vic.

Sprock
18th July 2017, 09:03 PM
They're about $290 a pair at our local truck parts place , Narva now do the exact same looking thing for $200 . What about all the cars with LED headlights mudski ? Or is it ok on new cars that are ADRed with them ? I remember you had to take yours out

mudski
18th July 2017, 09:38 PM
They're about $290 a pair at our local truck parts place , Narva now do the exact same looking thing for $200 . What about all the cars with LED headlights mudski ? Or is it ok on new cars that are ADRed with them ? I remember you had to take yours out

I'm not aware of any car having LED headlights from factory. HIDs yes. I could be and probably are incorrect here though. My headlights I removed were projectors with HID. I'd love to get some of those again, light output and direction was amazing.

nissannewby
18th July 2017, 10:26 PM
You will find the headlight will still be halogen, HID or Xenon. They have Led parker things etc but I have not seen an actual low or hi beam led headlight either.

Sprock
19th July 2017, 10:25 AM
You could be right , I thought the new cars with a black housing & what looks like a Chrystal golf ball in the middle were LED , some of them are super bright intense white light so I assumed LED ,

Sprock
19th July 2017, 10:27 AM
& yeah I've seen the LED Parker lights , some are like a rope light looking setup , maybe Audi or BMW , not sure I'll have to take more notice.

mudski
19th July 2017, 10:38 AM
You could be right , I thought the new cars with a black housing & what looks like a Chrystal golf ball in the middle were LED , some of them are super bright intense white light so I assumed LED ,

That golf ball you see Adam is the Projector lens. It acts like a magnifying glass. So with this and a HID globe, its a no no to be aftermarket fitted here unfortunately. As the vehicles that do have these two combinations fitted from factory have self levelers fitted so the lights will dip downward a little when the car is facing upwards. This stops the blinding effect for oncoming traffic. Not that it helps a lot. Also they should be fitted with washers on the front of the lamp, the washers are supposed to squirt water on the lens to stop the lens from icing up, which will blind even more people.
The lights I had, were HID with projectors, but no levelers or washers. Plus they weren't ADR approved, so I had to remove them when I had the engineers done.

nissannewby
19th July 2017, 12:38 PM
That golf ball you see Adam is the Projector lens. It acts like a magnifying glass. So with this and a HID globe, its a no no to be aftermarket fitted here unfortunately. As the vehicles that do have these two combinations fitted from factory have self levelers fitted so the lights will dip downward a little when the car is facing upwards. This stops the blinding effect for oncoming traffic. Not that it helps a lot. Also they should be fitted with washers on the front of the lamp, the washers are supposed to squirt water on the lens to stop the lens from icing up, which will blind even more people.
The lights I had, were HID with projectors, but no levelers or washers. Plus they weren't ADR approved, so I had to remove them when I had the engineers done.

Washers are only required for xenon lights. Hid projectors fo not require them.

Sprock
19th July 2017, 08:48 PM
Thanks all

Dr Gary
25th July 2017, 08:16 PM
Follow on from original post---Finally received the LED lamps, and of course the large heat sink/fan housing makes it about impossible to hook up the retaining clips. I have since dropped that project-minus $60. Oh well.
Maybe I should just upgrade my IPF driving/spot lights.

AlissaChuran
11th January 2019, 12:41 AM
Nowadays, Akarui LED is considered the best as an LED headlight. I also second the OPT7 Fluxbeam H11, but you can also see for some xenon or HID kits in this regard. Here are the best HID kits ( https://bestazy.com/best-hid-kit/ ) that you can replace with your halogen one.