PDA

View Full Version : Changing Tb42 for another tb42

Trolatron
8th July 2017, 09:12 PM
Hello everyone, iv been MIA for a while now just dropping in from time to time having a sticky beek.
My shorty has been in the carport 12 months and its time to get it going again.

My question today is that i have found a replacement engine the same as mine but the gearbox is an auto so will there be an issue putting a clutch and my manual gearbox on the new auto setup.

Thanks Ray

GQtdauto
8th July 2017, 09:19 PM
No expert but would have thought yes you can , motor is the same .

Trolatron
9th July 2017, 04:29 PM
No expert but would have thought yes you can , motor is the same .

Yes hoping the spline and clutch go on ok

dom14
9th July 2017, 05:17 PM
Hello everyone, iv been MIA for a while now just dropping in from time to time having a sticky beek.
My shorty has been in the carport 12 months and its time to get it going again.

My question today is that i have found a replacement engine the same as mine but the gearbox is an auto so will there be an issue putting a clutch and my manual gearbox on the new auto setup.

Thanks Ray

I'm not sure I understand.
Is your shorty an auto or a manual one?

Why should you have any issues swapping the engines if they are the same?!

garett
9th July 2017, 05:31 PM
usually it just a matter of swapping the flex plate for the fly wheel or vise versa

Trolatron
9th July 2017, 06:03 PM
I'm not sure I understand.
Is your shorty an auto or a manual one?

Why should you have any issues swapping the engines if they are the same?!

My patrol is a manual. The doner patrol is an auto.
Im asking will i be able to put a clutch on the doner engine.

dom14
9th July 2017, 07:06 PM
My patrol is a manual. The doner patrol is an auto.
Im asking will i be able to put a clutch on the doner engine.

I don't see why not. Auto and manual is a gearbox thing. The engine should be the same.
You obviously have to transfer the fly wheel from your shorty engine to the doner one as mentioned above.

Trolatron
9th July 2017, 07:42 PM
I don't see why not. Auto and manual is a gearbox thing. The engine should be the same.
You obviously have to transfer the fly wheel from your shorty engine to the doner one as mentioned above.

Thats good then.
Hetting excited..

dom14
9th July 2017, 07:45 PM
Thats good then.
Hetting excited..

TB42 used engines aren't as cheap as RB30 engines. I would make sure the engine's in good nick by doing a compression test
etc before putting money into it.
What's wrong with the existing engine?

billyj
9th July 2017, 08:17 PM
yep just take the auto flex plate off and attach your manual flywheel, also will need to fit a spigot bearing

Trolatron
10th July 2017, 06:59 AM
Thats good, sounds like i can just transfer all the manual bits over to the new engine.
Im no mechanic at all but i strongly suggest that the motor in it now has a blown head. It was looseng power using water just kept running rougher and rougher. I cant do any tests on it i just dont have the gear or know how to use it. I was fortunate enough to see him start up the engine and hear it running and it sounded very good. Hes a decent guy and im feeling confident its a good engine.

dom14
10th July 2017, 07:21 AM
Thats good, sounds like i can just transfer all the manual bits over to the new engine.
Im no mechanic at all but i strongly suggest that the motor in it now has a blown head. It was looseng power using water just kept running rougher and rougher. I cant do any tests on it i just dont have the gear or know how to use it. I was fortunate enough to see him start up the engine and hear it running and it sounded very good. Hes a decent guy and im feeling confident its a good engine.

For a blown head gasket or cracked head, you can get it fixed cheaply if you know how/where.

You don't necessarily have to replace the whole motor, unless your existing motor has a badly worn bottom end as well.
What is the odometer reading of your shorty?

Trolatron
10th July 2017, 10:41 AM
The odometer wasnt working when i got the trol 9 years ago so its anyones guess what kms its done. It never did have much power. I use to go wheeling with 2 other shorties and they both ran rings around me. Being on gas was no help either. Just keen to change the whole engine.

dom14
10th July 2017, 11:46 PM
The odometer wasnt working when i got the trol 9 years ago so its anyones guess what kms its done. It never did have much power. I use to go wheeling with 2 other shorties and they both ran rings around me. Being on gas was no help either. Just keen to change the whole engine.

Well, if the odometer's been dead for life of the car with you, then that's good enough reason to replace the motor, of course.

aqahraman
23rd July 2017, 11:30 PM
hi there i need the maf wiring colors or pin outs for the 1997 tb42e any one has pic please help.

thanks

amq