PDA

View Full Version : Adding a remote to an XTM winch

Mc4by
1st July 2017, 05:05 PM
Can it be done?
Has anyone done it?
Adding a remote to a winch that didn't come with one.
In this case an XTM winch is available brand new for half price, but no remote.

PeeBee
1st July 2017, 05:34 PM
Can it be done?
Has anyone done it?
Adding a remote to a winch that didn't come with one.
In this case an XTM winch is available brand new for half price, but no remote.

I think the addition is straight forward. the ones on ebay are reasonably documented. I have 3 remotes collected over the years but never installed. I simply prefer the cable connection - no batteries to go flat or be flat when i want to use it. I extended the cables on both my winches 10m to ensure I can be well out of the firing line and this works well.

the evil twin
1st July 2017, 05:40 PM
I've never done an XTM but the couple of brands I have mod'd have all been straight forward altho the WARN 9000 family don't have a lot of room in the relay box so are a tight squeeze

PeeBee
1st July 2017, 05:41 PM
Does warn offer remote option for this model? If so, then it might just be a tight fit perhaps?

the evil twin
1st July 2017, 06:01 PM
Does warn offer remote option for this model? If so, then it might just be a tight fit perhaps?

Haven't checked for ages but genuine Warn used to be well over $100

Fleabay generics are $20

PeeBee
1st July 2017, 06:09 PM
Haven't checked for ages but genuine Warn used to be well over $100

Fleabay generics are $20

Can't justify the warn unit based on the simplicity of the ebay one. Have you bought the ebay one? If not I have 3 sitting here and happy to post you one for free!

the evil twin
1st July 2017, 06:15 PM
Can't justify the warn unit based on the simplicity of the ebay one. Have you bought the ebay one? If not I have 3 sitting here and happy to post you one for free!

No thanx Cobber, the O.P. may take one off your hands tho...

Mc4by
2nd July 2017, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the feedback on this.
Looks like I will go ahead and give this a try.

Mc4by
2nd July 2017, 04:07 PM
Just read back over this thread and realised I didn't stipulate 'wireless' remote. It has the wired hand held remote.

the evil twin
2nd July 2017, 04:33 PM
Just read back over this thread and realised I didn't stipulate 'wireless' remote. It has the wired hand held remote.

No worries... That it what I assumed (that you want to add a wireless remote)... and replied accordingly.
Ebay wireless options are about $20

Mc4by
2nd July 2017, 05:46 PM
No worries... That it what I assumed (that you want to add a wireless remote)... and replied accordingly.
Ebay wireless options are about $20

Cheers I will go look on Ebay.