PDA

View Full Version : Noisier motor / innjector pump after some 4x4-ing

gdb
27th June 2017, 04:52 PM
G'day blokes.
Just came back from a high country run, and after arriving home I noticed the motor running a tad "noisy". What i mean by noisy is the tackling sound the diesles make, is amplified a tad. I'm confident that the engine was much quieter before we left...
We did do some long miles on corrugated tracks , which could have rattled something lose under the hood, but this is definitely internal. Took it to my mechanic and he believes something in the injector pump has gone lose maybe as thats the area where it is coming from. The plunger in the pump is always noisy on cold mornings until warm.. But this is doing it all the time now. The noise is in sync with revving the motor up or down.
Performance wise or temperature wise nothing is different the car performed like a champ up there.
Any ideas?
Motor is a 4.2 TDI 2004 Wagon.

Garry

GQtdauto
27th June 2017, 05:15 PM
Sounds similar to my story but my pump is leaking heaps , and there is a noticeable sound coming from the right side of the motor .

mudski
27th June 2017, 05:17 PM
With the motor running, pump on the primer ontop of the fuel filter. Does the sound go away, or change?

GQtdauto
27th June 2017, 06:01 PM
Must check that out tomorrow, although I do have a belt idler problem and the two are reasonably close together .

gdb
6th July 2017, 08:10 PM
Thanks a lot for the comments.
Mudski was on the right track, priming it while running it goes away more or less. But I Replaced fuel filter and after another tank of diesel it came good. My mates ranger was running funy too.
Between us we reckon the fuel from mansfield migt have been a bit rancid with water etc... Car is flawless now.
Thank you again. ANd sorry for slow resposne i dont get a lot of time on the PC.

Plasnart
6th July 2017, 09:49 PM
Thanks a lot for the comments.
Mudski was on the right track, priming it while running it goes away more or less. But I Replaced fuel filter and after another tank of diesel it came good. My mates ranger was running funy too.
Between us we reckon the fuel from mansfield migt have been a bit rancid with water etc... Car is flawless now.
Thank you again. ANd sorry for slow resposne i dont get a lot of time on the PC.

Unusual to get dodgy diesel at Mansfeld as they'd turn it over pretty quick but great to hear your problem's fixed.

mudski
6th July 2017, 10:16 PM
Yeah priming the filter while the engine running can tell you lots about whats going on....In a way...

gdb
8th July 2017, 07:32 PM
Unusual to get dodgy diesel at Mansfeld as they'd turn it over pretty quick but great to hear your problem's fixed.

Hey Plasnart.
You may be right... What it also could be is diesel gumming up due to severe cold. When we werew up there it didnt get much above 1C. None of us had alpine diesel or additives...
This may or may not have something to do with it.

AB
8th July 2017, 07:41 PM
Yep as above very surprised as this is the prime time for fuel but happy days for you anyway mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plasnart
9th July 2017, 12:47 AM
Hey Plasnart.
You may be right... What it also could be is diesel gumming up due to severe cold. When we werew up there it didnt get much above 1C. None of us had alpine diesel or additives...
This may or may not have something to do with it.

Agree thats probably more on the money.

gdb
11th July 2017, 07:27 PM
G'day all. I'm taking this thread back out from underneath the ice.
The motor has been running like shit last 2-3 days and feels like it's getting worse daily.
So in the morning after glow light goes out she starts first crank every time it has always done that. After she starts, she runs very very rough on normal idle. It's difficult to describe "rough" , but it's like it's skipping injections on some cylynders or something. And it doesnt go away even after warming up.
When I lug it up to 100km/h on the ring road (some may joke about doing 100km/h on the ring road as impossible? lol), she seems not to have the power she usually has.
Fuel filter is replaced. Fresh batch of diesel. All oils are fine. NO leaks etc. The old girl has done 185k on the clock and never skipped a beat.
Is she due for a new set of 'jectors ?
Any ideas would be welcome.

GQtdauto
11th July 2017, 07:46 PM
Not sucking air or have air in the pump or lines ?
Funny thing is mine was doing that and my mechanic said glow plugs but it still did it afterwards , after I replaced the leaking O rings the problem has stopped .
But my intake manifold was leaking and the turbo to manifold was also leaking but is now sealed , also I did give it a bloody good prime and bleed .
I hear what you say about power mine was down as well .

MB
11th July 2017, 08:00 PM
G'day GDB mate. Mrs MB dropped off our near 400,00km 4.2TD family truckster into PatrolApart on Monday for injectors and the blokes also found the 'seats' weren't too good. Don't personally know too much about these removable 'seats' but are having them delivered and replaced tomorrow quickly as apparently even new injectors would have allowed compression to pass by. Reckon we've dropped from a stockish 95rwkw over the last 6 months down to at a best guess 80rwkw but haven't had rough running as you're unfortunately experiencing.

GQtdauto
11th July 2017, 08:03 PM
Just to clarify my rough running disappeared when it warmed up .

mudski
11th July 2017, 09:35 PM
Check the gauze filter which is under the banjo fitting (inlet) on the pump. See if its blocked up. First placed I'd look.

nissannewby
11th July 2017, 10:12 PM
Is it blowing more smoke?

Unplug the connector on the bottom of the pump and see if it makes a difference. After you have checked for air ingress and if there is a gauze on the inlet.

Have you checked the air cleaner?

gdb
19th July 2017, 05:41 PM
Is it blowing more smoke?

Unplug the connector on the bottom of the pump and see if it makes a difference. After you have checked for air ingress and if there is a gauze on the inlet.

Have you checked the air cleaner?

Kudos to you mate. Cheers for the reply.
Air filter is clean / new. New oils etc. Its not blowing smoke . Bit of smoke when it starts up, the initial puff but thats about it. And also, before this issue, under heavy foot it'll be a Thomas the Patrol engine.
I don't understand when you said air ingress? I'm assuming youre talking about air being sucked into the lines mixing it with diesle? I'm afraid thats beyond my mechanical checking knowledge. the pump is something i dont want to mess with as it seems intricate and considering how much issues ive had with the stupid NATS connector underneath it, the last thing i want to do is tamper with the pump. Might just take it to someone in the know. I got poitned to Dieseltec up north so might tow it up there and get it analyzed.

GQtdauto
19th July 2017, 05:48 PM
Could be anything then , including the pump but yeah don't mess with those suckers and even if there was something wrong it's easier and quicker to let an expert look at it .

gdb
19th July 2017, 05:53 PM
G'day GDB mate. Mrs MB dropped off our near 400,00km 4.2TD family truckster into PatrolApart on Monday for injectors and the blokes also found the 'seats' weren't too good. Don't personally know too much about these removable 'seats' but are having them delivered and replaced tomorrow quickly as apparently even new injectors would have allowed compression to pass by. Reckon we've dropped from a stockish 95rwkw over the last 6 months down to at a best guess 80rwkw but haven't had rough running as you're unfortunately experiencing.

Mate that is a fair whack of K's on the TD, and I'm betting she will do just as much again with ease. Ive decided to take it in for people in the know to assess. And i'll go from there.

gdb
19th July 2017, 05:55 PM
Could be anything then , including the pump but yeah don't mess with those suckers and even if there was something wrong it's easier and quicker to let an expert look at it .

There is too many bolts to do and undo on the pump for my liking. It's just asking for trouble. Ive got the habit of having the sexy fingers a fair bit, wehatever i touch, I f***. So definitely may stay away from touching this.
And ive never asked but i bet theyre not a cheap replacement either.

gdb
26th July 2017, 07:31 PM
update.
issue was a cracked primer underneath and it was sucking air into the fuel lines causing erratic motor behavior. new primer and a few lines and she now has the good ol' 4.2 purrrr.. missed driving the old girl. thanks again folks. nissannewby was on the money when he mentioned "air ingress". owe you a beer or 5 mate.
cheer. garry.