PDA

View Full Version : Small rear door stay

Dr Gary
27th June 2017, 02:23 PM
Has anyone used the "PatrolaPart" gas strut kit ($60 right now) on their GU? Seems like a good idea, just wonder about how it fits under the closed door.
Are there any other good options out there? Maybe just replace the original-or not!

Bought and fitted the Patrolapart kit--$70 including TAX. I guess I could have purchased most bits for less, but finding the bracket, ensuring the strut is suitable, and guessing the locations for each end could be a challenge. The instructions were spot on and the biggest part of the job was removing the door lining.
Very happy with the job and my decision.

Skitzyrex
27th June 2017, 02:45 PM
I've not used their kit however I did get a gas strut from a caravan place and it works well.

mudski
27th June 2017, 03:22 PM
Yeah I made my own. Cost around $30 for the strut and the bracket, and about half hour of my time. They are a good idea though. Saves the door slamming into your back all the time.

Yeti's Beast
27th June 2017, 07:09 PM
I pulled the original door stay apart and adjusted the bits that hold the door with small bits of rubber between the block and the spring to give it more tension

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bush Ranger
27th June 2017, 07:57 PM
I replaced my bonnet struts a few months back and have thought of using one for the small door, as there seems to be enough pressure there to keep it open.

mudski
27th June 2017, 09:25 PM
I replaced my bonnet struts a few months back and have thought of using one for the small door, as there seems to be enough pressure there to keep it open.

The rear door strut needs to be no longer than 300mm in length and no more than 100nm.

Daveyboyjunior
28th June 2017, 06:05 AM
Are we talking about the smaller barn door that taps you on the shoulder when your tucking in to your fridge?

mudski
28th June 2017, 02:56 PM
Are we talking about the smaller barn door that taps you on the shoulder when your tucking in to your fridge?

I reckon we are....

Dr Gary
28th June 2017, 03:51 PM
Yep, that's the one

Dr Gary
28th June 2017, 03:55 PM
Did you use a ball joint under the door?. Seems room may be tight.

Daveyboyjunior
28th June 2017, 05:18 PM
I reckon we are....

Cheers

This little mod interests me. Any pics?

Bush Ranger
28th June 2017, 07:37 PM
The rear door strut needs to be no longer than 300mm in length and no more than 100nm.

Okay Mudski, I`ll have a proper look of what the length is of the strut. I had a glance to day at the small barn door when I loaded a few things in the back and thought about the length of the strut. As usual, that`s as far as I have gotten with the situation.

mudski
28th June 2017, 07:47 PM
Did you use a ball joint under the door?. Seems room may be tight.

Yeah one of those right angle ball joints. I cant find a pic..

mudski
29th June 2017, 02:37 PM
Here y'all! A pic kindly supplied by a fellow member....