PDA

View Full Version : No spark after engine swap

Jarrodtorpy
13th June 2017, 08:56 AM
Hi guys,

So I have recently done an engine swap with my tb42efi, I have just swapped it with another tb42. after months of trying different things I am still stuck with a car that won't start. The engine I had in previously did start, I have only swapped the long motor and kept all the original efi gear.

Things I have replaced:
Coil
Coil lead
Crank angle sensor
Dizzy cap
Dizzy
Spark plugs
Leads
Ignition module

Things I have checked:
All relays and fuses
Power is at all all components, including dizzy and coil

The car cranks over perfectly, and fuel is getting to the injectors, and I have injector pulse, I literally cannot get spark from the coil.

I had an auto sparky come out, but he was unable to find the problem either.

Any ideas from you guys would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Turtle_au
13th June 2017, 04:39 PM
Have you run a scan to find any codes?

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Yendor
13th June 2017, 05:09 PM
Take the distributor cap off and confirm the rotor button is turning when the engine is cranking.

mudnut
13th June 2017, 06:18 PM
If its an auto, check that its in park or neutral properly.

taslucas
13th June 2017, 06:31 PM
Could it possibly have an immobiliser?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Jarrodtorpy
13th June 2017, 06:43 PM
Do not have a scan tool, I may have to get myself one.

Car is definitely in park

rotor Botton is turning

Myself and an auto electrician tried looking for an imobiliser but couldn't find one.

The car is also dual fuel, not sure if the lpg couldn't be playing some part in this

Yendor
13th June 2017, 06:59 PM
Does your vehicle have the brown plastic box connected to the main wire harness near the ignition coil that has 4 wires going to it?

Jarrodtorpy
13th June 2017, 07:53 PM
Hey mate can't see anything to that description near the coil... would you have a photo of it?

Yendor
13th June 2017, 08:16 PM
Sorry I don’t have a photo.

Try this then. With a voltmeter measure the voltage on the negative side of the coil.

1. Ignition on, and
2. Engine cranking.

dom14
13th June 2017, 09:24 PM
Hmmmm....if an auto sparky can't find the problem, then it sounds like something mechanical, like the dizzy? Just wondering.

ReefMagnet
13th June 2017, 11:57 PM
There's a couple of braided ground wires that connect to the plenum chamber. These are the grounds for the ecu. If not earthing properly, weird shite happens.

Sent from my SGP521 using Tapatalk

Jarrodtorpy
14th June 2017, 08:14 AM
ill get my mates voltmeter this weekend and see what numbers I get.
It's definitely not the dizzy as I have already tried replacing it.

I know the ground wires you are talking about, and they all look good to me, but I'll double check them.

Do you know of any other ground wires I should look for, I'm still sort of thinking I missed something when I put the new engine in

dom14
15th June 2017, 02:54 PM
ill get my mates voltmeter this weekend and see what numbers I get.
It's definitely not the dizzy as I have already tried replacing it.

I know the ground wires you are talking about, and they all look good to me, but I'll double check them.

Do you know of any other ground wires I should look for, I'm still sort of thinking I missed something when I put the new engine in

Yes, that is the most likely scenrio.

kbchez
17th June 2017, 01:21 AM
Your lpg switch could have a fuse. In the line. Is the lpg switch turned to petrol.
Reset all tappets.
Are all the vacum hoses conected or blocked off.

Dhuck
17th June 2017, 08:01 AM
Just putting it out there but is the earth on the side of the dizzy connected? I had an issue with the contact of this earth. Sent me crazy till I found it and that was only by chance.

Jarrodtorpy
19th June 2017, 08:42 AM
Found the problem!
Turns out the ground for the coil wasn't grounding properly, we had to manually try and ground it ourselves and then what do you know, we have spark!
I'm still pretty pissed that an auto electrician couldn't find this problem.

Thanks for the help guys.

dom14
19th June 2017, 08:44 PM
Found the problem!
Turns out the ground for the coil wasn't grounding properly, we had to manually try and ground it ourselves and then what do you know, we have spark!
I'm still pretty pissed that an auto electrician couldn't find this problem.

Thanks for the help guys.

Yes, that's why I refrained from suggesting anything electric and advised to focus on mechanics, based on the assumption the auto sparky was competent enough to detect there's no spark and narrow down the problem to locate where it is.
My suggestion was wrong 'cos the assumption was dead wrong. :D

Jarrodtorpy
9th July 2017, 04:50 PM
Okay guys, so i thought my troubles were sorted out, but I was wrong...
So the car starts and idles pretty good now, took it for a drive around the block and everything was good.
The next day i went for a drive and around the corner the car just stalled on me, waited couple seconds and stared back up, drove around another corner and it died again....
If I just drive around pretty slowly it doesn't seem to cause this, though if I speed up and then slow down for a corner, then make the turn, it then will stall on me, Doesn't happen every turn, so it's hard to decipher what is actually causing it.

It's an auto aswell if that helps, and it was swapped with the engine.

Yendor
9th July 2017, 05:12 PM
Did you find the brown plastic box? It might be covered under a layer of tape.

With the engine running try wiggling the main wire harness that runs to the ignition coil. Go at least 8 inches away from the coil. See if by doing this the engine cuts out or misfires.

Jarrodtorpy
9th July 2017, 05:27 PM
Just tried wiggling it around and nothing changed.... there is a slight miss though, which is existent regardless of wiggling the harness.
As for the brown box, I can't see anything around there

Yendor
9th July 2017, 05:30 PM
Did you feel for the box under the tape?

Jarrodtorpy
9th July 2017, 05:48 PM
Are you able to send a pic? I can't see any tape of brown box