PDA

View Full Version : Quick intro

Warthog
1st May 2011, 09:10 AM
Howzit from East Africa!
Joined up to try and get a handle on why the RD28ETI engine (1999 Y61 Manual SE spec) blows up for a pass time (Is a UK spec motor that was on it's way out here and has just done it's second head) basically if pushed hard the temp gauge climbs and if the missus is driving it doesn't get noticed till the little light comes on and the windscreen gets wet, by which time it was about 30C too late (and 5 litres of coolant!!)
Choices now it's on its way out here in a container are put yet another head on it and try and tropicalize it (which I was going to do with a bigger rad anyway) or put a 4.2 lump in it, but what to know if it will go pretty much straight in or needs lots of changes (transmission, transfer box, diffs etc)

There is lots of conflicting info and I have a workshop manual for the 2.8 with all the specs I wanted to get a 4.2/4.2TD manual and check if diffs, transmission etc are the same of different.

I have already read some of the posts, but didn't find anyone that has actually done it and found the pitfalls!
I have found a 3.0l Y61 that had a 4.2 put in it without too many problems and mods, but need to know 2.8 to 4.2

Any pointers would be a star!

I used to run a "ute" (or Bakkie as they call it in this part of the world) 2007 4.2 Y61, which was a fantastic motor, but a company one so I had to give it back when I left, but did me 60,000kms in 8 months, without a murmur! Wish I could say the same for the RD28 engine, has cost me £1500 in parts alone (done all the work myself) and only done about 2000 miles since I bought it, the same problem, exactly the same, twice.

Thanks

Bob
1st May 2011, 09:15 AM
Welcome Warthog. Join in and enjoy

growler2058
1st May 2011, 09:18 AM
Gday mate welcome aboard theyre a good mob here full of useful info and advice someone here should be able to answer your Q's. If its feasible go the td42

Bigrig
1st May 2011, 09:24 AM
G'day mate - welcome aboard and top rate introduction!! Great people, information and laughs on here mate, so feel free to join in and make the most of it. Enjoy!!

GUtsy ute
1st May 2011, 09:27 AM
Welcome to the forum Warthog.
Some people on here with 2.8s will be able to help you out no doubt.
Lots of info and friendly banter to join in for a laugh.

Dhuck
1st May 2011, 09:27 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

Warthog
1st May 2011, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the welcomes, much appreciated! Was wary about joining as not from Oz and never been there..... came to Africa when i was 18 and kinda got stuck here.... just never got the urge to go any further as so much to see right here! And the roads and the driving..... well lets say "interesting" is one way of putting it!

Clunk
1st May 2011, 04:58 PM
G'day Warthog, welcome to the forum mate. Hope someone here can shed some light on your answer. They're a good bunch of blokes who will help out in any way they can.

timbar
1st May 2011, 05:07 PM
G'day mate - welcome aboard join in and have fun mate plenty to do see and if u have any problems just ask and im sure u will get an answer ENJOY and WELCOME

Tim

Finly Owner
1st May 2011, 11:06 PM
Hi and welcome to Nissans Nut House Warthog

Tim

DX grunt
1st May 2011, 11:23 PM
G'day Warthog.

Howzit from West OZ? Great to have you onboard.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

Maxhead
2nd May 2011, 06:54 PM
G'Day and welcome to the forum Warthog

patch697
3rd May 2011, 06:22 PM
To all new members & those member who have joined in the last 4 months I'd like to introduce myself

Hi all my name is Paul (patch697) & I am the Super Moderator here on the forum. I have been away for a spell & there will be a lot of new members who haven't met me yet so I'd like to extend a worm welcome from myself to you all & if you have any question or need any help don't hesitate to ask.

I hope you all enjoy the forum.

Cheers
Paul