PDA

View Full Version : Rear Bumper removal 2012 GU.

Coldcomfort
7th June 2017, 07:46 PM
Gidday all,

I have just bought a Hayman Reece tow bar that I will be fitting this weekend. The instruction say to remove the rear bumper which looks fairly simple. But one thing has me a little stumped. The manual says to remove the bumper finisher. Its a bit of plastic trim that hides the bolts that hold the bumper to the body. I am having a hard time working out how to get it off. Has anyone done this before??

Cheers all, Brian.

MudRunnerTD
7th June 2017, 09:33 PM
Gidday all,

I have just bought a Hayman Reece tow bar that I will be fitting this weekend. The instruction say to remove the rear bumper which looks fairly simple. But one thing has me a little stumped. The manual says to remove the bumper finisher. Its a bit of plastic trim that hides the bolts that hold the bumper to the body. I am having a hard time working out how to get it off. Has anyone done this before??

Cheers all, Brian.

hmmmm? Im not sure why the rear bumper has to come off? your Haymen Reece should bolt up to the sides of the chassis rails? have you got some pics of the towbar and the instructions please.

happygu
7th June 2017, 09:39 PM
hmmmm? Im not sure why the rear bumper has to come off? your Haymen Reece should bolt up to the sides of the chassis rails? have you got some pics of the towbar and the instructions please.

I think the bumper needs to come off to insert the nuts into the rail ... one of mine had a rattle from new, and it ended up being the wire welded onto the end of the nut to poke it inside

Coldcomfort
8th June 2017, 05:45 PM
I think the bumper needs to come off to insert the nuts into the rail ... one of mine had a rattle from new, and it ended up being the wire welded onto the end of the nut to poke it inside

Thats rite. From looking at the destructions the retaining nuts are pushed into the chassis rail by wire welded to the thick threaded plates/nuts.

Coldcomfort
10th June 2017, 03:11 PM
Got them off. Just grab and pull. Tow bar is easy once rear bumper is off. But a good thing to do is to run your M12 and M10 taps through the threaded steel plates. The powder coating makes it very hard to get the bolts started. The taps will cut this off and make life soo much easier.....

Cheers all.