PDA

View Full Version : Clicking sound when turning.

Skitzyrex
6th June 2017, 05:40 PM
Hey All,
After the last two times of 4wdriving it appears the Patrol now has clicking when turning both left and right.
The catch is, it only happens if it's been through water or as of yesterday after I cleaned it with the high pressure hose.
Here's a little about the car:
It's a 07 TB48, has an auto locker and still has the auto hubs.
If the noise was happening all the time I'd say it was the hubs but being it's not doing it when it's dry (the following day) I'm rather confused.

Have any of you come across this before? Any ideas?

Thank you
Mick

AB
6th June 2017, 06:02 PM
It's not the spring moving a bit?

My front right coil makes a slight sound very clicky kind of sound and is definitely less prominent when dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudnut
6th June 2017, 06:45 PM
Had a bump noise which increased when wet and finally found that the body mounts were worn.

Skitzyrex
6th June 2017, 07:09 PM
It feels like it's in the steering but I'll check out both of the above. Cheers

mudnut
6th June 2017, 07:18 PM
Check the wheel bearings while you're at it.

threedogs
6th June 2017, 07:22 PM
First Id change the hubs to manual locking not auto locking

mudski
6th June 2017, 10:32 PM
Yep. Five minute job to do. Best mod for the auto hubs.

Skitzyrex
6th June 2017, 10:42 PM

Could this be the problem when wet and not if dry?
Or just something to do?

threedogs
7th June 2017, 09:13 AM
just do it as you have to traction systems fighting each other

mudski
7th June 2017, 10:14 AM
Could this be the problem when wet and not if dry?
Or just something to do?

A lot of people experience clicking noises or front end noises when using auto hubs and a lokka. Personally I would never trust an auto locking hub when doing any sort of hill climb. Last thing I'd want is for the hub to disengage itself half way up a snotty climb. It may never happen but that just a risk I dont want to take. It take five minutes a side to remove the auto plate. So this just means the "auto" selection on the hub would now be "unlock".

the evil twin
7th June 2017, 12:58 PM
A lot of people experience clicking noises or front end noises when using auto hubs and a lokka. Personally I would never trust an auto locking hub when doing any sort of hill climb. Last thing I'd want is for the hub to disengage itself half way up a snotty climb. It may never happen but that just a risk I dont want to take. It take five minutes a side to remove the auto plate. So this just means the "auto" selection on the hub would now be "unlock".

All too true, Cobber assuming the driver is too lazy to lock the "auto" hubs like they should do before attempting a snotty climb. Makes for lots of Utube vids if nothing else.

If they have followed the vehicle manual and/or engaged their brain they will have locked the hubs anyway (moved from Auto to Lock) sama sama as if they were 'converted' auto hubs so no real difference.

An 'auto to manual' conversion only forces the Driver to get off his jacksie and lock the hubs

Unfortunately laziness will always overcome technology and outwit brain power... this I know from years of personal experience (sigh)

Skitzyrex
7th June 2017, 03:03 PM
Thanks guys, I already lock my hubs to lock anyway when airing down so difference to this lazy jack arse. Haha