PDA

View Full Version : Latest GU/Cummins Diesel Rumour

Wizard52
2nd June 2017, 09:21 AM
Neighbour, a long time Patrol owner now on The Dark Side with a 200 series claims he heard that Nissan will have a V8 diesel in Patrol sooner rather than later and it will be in a Y61.
A bit hard to believe but would be great if it happens.

Touses
2nd June 2017, 09:26 AM
You would think if they intend to stay in the Aussie market it will have to happen!
Then of course there is the argument that diesel is a dying fuel in all but the biigger units.
Squeeze old mate for info, be nice to believe the rumour has substance!

mudski
2nd June 2017, 09:38 AM
From what I have read the Y61 will only be available in the UAE as a new purchase. The current 2017 Y61 that is now available over there still runs the TB48. If the engine change is true I hope they actually use a real Cummins and not a chinese copy like the Duramax in the Collies.

UncleFrosty
2nd June 2017, 11:06 AM
Why wait?
Drop a 6BT in... I know it's not an 8, but still has the right badge on it.

mudski
2nd June 2017, 06:51 PM
Why wait?
Drop a 6BT in... I know it's not an 8, but still has the right badge on it.

Yeah I reckon it would be awesome to do something like that. But the V8 Diesel does sound pretty cool ay!

Sprock
2nd June 2017, 10:03 PM
I'm planning on a 6BT conversion - in time , been looking into it a bit . Hi Muddy - remember me ? 😬

Chopped_td42
1st December 2017, 10:38 AM
https://www.motoring.com.au/cummins-v8-diesel-for-patrol-43057/

This was posted in 2014 and still has not happened Nissan is also kidding itself if they think there is no market for a duel cab y61 or y62.
So many blokes went for the land cruiser dual cab because they have a trade and need a ute but wanna take the misses and kids out camping or off road. I personally have had 5 dual cab patrols and still own one, It is such a shame that Nissan never listens to what consumers want.

PeeBee
1st December 2017, 01:53 PM
I'm planning on a 6BT conversion - in time , been looking into it a bit . Hi Muddy - remember me ? 😬

I was working with a guy recently up at Stanhope and he had done the 6BT conversion himself into a GU wagon. I never got the chance to look under the bonnet, however when it went thru engineering it was over weight, even after the GVM was increased, and his engineering docs clearly stated the vehicle cannot have a steel bullbar or a winch on the front, so this must be a very heavy motor!

Trollboy-1950
14th January 2018, 12:02 PM
Neighbour, a long time Patrol owner now on The Dark Side with a 200 series claims he heard that Nissan will have a V8 diesel in Patrol sooner rather than later and it will be in a Y61.
A bit hard to believe but would be great if it happens.

I was talking to a dealer yesterday 13/01/2018 and he said to look out for the same engine as in the American Nissan ( 5 Ltr Diesel V8 Cummins and 6 -7 speed Auto ) hinted before July and a variant of the Y61. Different shape to the Y62!! He was talking off the record - I've known him for 20yrs

Wizard52
27th January 2018, 03:03 PM
I was talking to a dealer yesterday 13/01/2018 and he said to look out for the same engine as in the American Nissan ( 5 Ltr Diesel V8 Cummins and 6 -7 speed Auto ) hinted before July and a variant of the Y61. Different shape to the Y62!! He was talking off the record - I've known him for 20yrs

Well if I win the lotto I will put in an order for one the next day. Hope a ute version is in line up.

Hodge
27th January 2018, 03:43 PM

If this is true...
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=74287&stc=1

...... but.

I personally highly doubt it.
Not saying your dealer you've know for 20 years is a bullshit artist. Just saying, in the grip of tight emissions we live here in Australia, conforming to Euro standards, the Toyota 4.5L V8 JUST passed with the skin of it's teeth. I highly doubt a 5L will go through. Not in a passenger sized 4x4.

the evil twin
27th January 2018, 04:31 PM
Most of the rumours for the Y62 sprout from the Toyota Tundra, Nissan Titan sparring match in the Sates.
(The Titan and Armada/Y62 share the same petrol power plant option.)

Soooo... now that the Tundra and Titan are going Petty and Diesel options...

The Titan and Tundra are both "trucks" in the yank market and the yanks like Diesels in their trucks BUT they aren't near as keen on Diesel when it comes to SUV's.
SUV is where the Armada sits which is basically why Nissan went petty only (well, so far at least).

IMHO when Nissan can see a decent market for the Titan/Tundra 5 litre Cummins engine in the Armada then it has a real big chance.
The Aussie market will have almost sweet FA impact in the decision process, Nissan probably sell more Armadas' in any state in America in a month than they sell Y62's here in Oz in a year.

Personally I can't see any way that 5.0 Cummins will appear in a Y61 variant before it pops up as a power option in the Y62.
Happy to be wrong but it just doesn't make sense to me

GQtdauto
27th January 2018, 06:06 PM
I say shut up and take my money if they do bring a thumping big diesel in but more realistic it will just be a big petrol price of crap .
Unless someone at Nissan has grown a pair and brain but that's unlikely .

Clunk
27th January 2018, 06:17 PM
Meh diesel schmeezel