PDA

View Full Version : ZD30 glow plug issues?!?

JackCollo
26th May 2017, 02:31 PM
Hey guys
So last night made the switch from ceramic to metal tipped glow plugs mainly because my old ones weren't working and on a cold morning even after letting them warm the car still takes 30 seconds of cranking before it fires up with heaps of white smoke out the back. Now since I changed the plugs last night I thought this morning it would fire straight up and to my disappointment it did the same thing as before. I have replaced the ecm relay under the dash and checked the 80A fuse for the plugs but they just ain't working??

Any ideas at all any input is greatly appreciated

Cheers
Jack

Yendor
26th May 2017, 05:10 PM
Have you checked the voltage on the glow plug busbar when the glow plugs are on?

The glow plugs main fusible link is 100amp not 80amp.

Metal tipped glow plugs won’t last long on a ZD30DI if you haven’t done the glow plug timer mod.

Have you tried pumping your fuel primer before staring when cold?

Daveyboyjunior
26th May 2017, 05:29 PM
He's fitted metal tipped glows Yendor, does he still have to do the mod?

Yendor
26th May 2017, 05:36 PM
He's fitted metal tipped glows Yendor, does he still have to do the mod?

It's because he fitted metal tips he will need to do the mod. Sorry I will change my original post.

JackCollo
26th May 2017, 08:04 PM
Haven't done the mod yet. Anybody out east/southeast I can pay to do it not comfortable doing it yet.

Will check the 100 amp fuses

Yendor
26th May 2017, 09:22 PM
Changing the glow plugs to another type won’t fix your problem if they weren’t faulty.

mudski might be able to help you with the mod.

JackCollo
26th May 2017, 11:00 PM
So one of the 100 amp fuses has blown but i have no idea what set it off. It's the fuse closest to the motor next to the fuel filter

Yendor
26th May 2017, 11:31 PM
So one of the 100 amp fuses has blown but i have no idea what set it off. It's the fuse closest to the motor next to the fuel filter

That’s the glow plug main fuse.

Daveyboyjunior
27th May 2017, 01:16 AM
It's because he fitted metal tips he will need to do the mod. Sorry I will change my original post.
that means i'll have to do the mod.
whats the problem that requires the mod in the first place?

JackCollo
27th May 2017, 10:14 AM
I've been told a lot of different things about the timer mod. Is it 100% necessary or is it more a choice.

Got a new 100amp fuse and will battle through to swap that over and get back to you.
If it blows again I have no idea what I'm gonna do.

Yendor
29th May 2017, 09:44 AM
The 100amp fuse might have blown if there was a short in one of the old glow plugs or if the wire between the glow plug relay and glow plugs has shorted to ground.

in4m3
30th May 2017, 03:52 PM
Hi,, is there a link for the mod..
cheers.