PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - 2006 TD42

Rotten Ronny
21st May 2017, 09:28 PM
Hi there! Ron here!
This is my first post and I have a 2006 TD42. Truck has 211k on it, and new injectors at 205k. Truck is serviced every 5k and I would like to improve performance mostly for towing. Can anyone recommend a dynotune or other.
I'm not mechanically minded and not interested in home mechanics and looking for recommendation of reputable business in Melb metro

AB
21st May 2017, 09:37 PM
Welcome to the forum mate and feel free to ask any questions.

DieselTec in Lilydale are very knowledgeable with our engines and would highly recommend them to tune and dyno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rotten Ronny
21st May 2017, 09:45 PM
Hey thanks for the quick reply,
Have you had you truck dynoed by DeiselTec?, and if not why do you recommend them.
Why I ask is my truck is serviced at reputable business but they cannot recommend a dynotuner

MB
21st May 2017, 10:03 PM
Welcome aboard Ron mate!
2006 TD42Ti you lucky last bugger, top truck!
Andrew from Dieseltech in Lilydale is very well regarded Australia wide as Victoria's best. Have overhead in person diesel gurus from here say so and have previously had two TD42T's pimped up by Andrew with 3" exhaust systems he can do too with fantastic tunes. Gained 50kms extra mileage per 80L tank and found an extra gear hidden it felt like :-)

Dhuck
22nd May 2017, 07:11 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

Rotten Ronny
22nd May 2017, 08:10 PM
Hi MB and thanks for your note and advice. Diesel-tec are one that I am considering and i am really looking for any intel from anyone that may have dealings with them. Testimonials if you like!, but i will be calling Andrew.
Not sure how lucky I am as truck is weapon off road but an alcoholic on the black stuff. 15L per 100kms best and when towing camper or caravan is off the chart so i need to get a few issues resolved.
Cheers

Rotten Ronny
22nd May 2017, 08:12 PM
Thanks Dhuck!

AB
22nd May 2017, 08:25 PM
Sorry mate missed this.

As MB said. I'm local there too and have had my car there many times from simple tunes to overhauls he honestly knows a great deal about our td42's and I'm confident in saying one of the best in Vic hands down.

AB
22nd May 2017, 08:25 PM
And honest too!!!

AB
22nd May 2017, 08:30 PM
Hi MB and thanks for your note and advice. Diesel-tec are one that I am considering and i am really looking for any intel from anyone that may have dealings with them. Testimonials if you like!, but i will be calling Andrew.
Not sure how lucky I am as truck is weapon off road but an alcoholic on the black stuff. 15L per 100kms best and when towing camper or caravan is off the chart so i need to get a few issues resolved.
Cheers

Yeah those figures are no good too.

Winnie
22nd May 2017, 08:55 PM
Yeah I've had my car in at diesel tec a few times for tuning and have always been very impressed with his work and his ethics.
I first got it tuned by a local shop but had to take it to diesel tec to fix what my local guy had done, massive difference between the two.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Cuppa
22nd May 2017, 09:10 PM
You have the best model Patrol!
I did two things which transformed my '06 TD42i. (now has 182,000kms)
It's no tyre smoker, but it is now the car that Nissan should have produced as new. Much nicer to drive.
1. Fit a 3" exhaust (I used Genie).
2. Get it dynoed by someone who really knows what they are doing.
I took mine to Dalton Automotive in Geelong ...... they were excellent. I asked for a tune for towing & that is precisely what I got. That was a couple of years ago, & at that time others were talking about Dyno places charging then $400+. Daltons charged me $200 (I'd already bought for a manual boost control for $70, which they fitted, included in the $200). Before getting the dyno, the car had a fair bit more go with just the 3" pipe & factory set boost (about 7psi), but egt temps would shoot up very quickly & I would have to back off to keep the temp down. Lots of promise but unusable! After leaving Daltons max boost was a tad over 13psi & egt's were easy to keep down, whilst making use of the extra torque. Basically it picks up better & holds on on hills far better, can be likened to having an extra gear. I tow a Tvan, & sit at around 90kph most of the time, but it'll pick up pretty well from that speed if I press harder on the accelerator. On open highway I can sit on 100kph, with egt sitting around 250Deg.C & hills rarely go over 400-450. Daltons get folk coming from as far afield as Adelaide & they are happy to pre-book a time for folk who are not local. No connection with the business, other than being a very satified customer. Another forum member recommended them to me & I drove down there from Ballarat.

The Dyno chart tells the story. Not a boy racer, but just what I wanted for touring with the van & the weight we carry, & importantly (to me) within the safe parameters of the factory equipment.

Rotten Ronny
22nd May 2017, 09:35 PM
Hi AB and thanks for your advice.
It's great being able to tap into "real life advice" as something I've not done before and always relied on my servicing "experts".
Other businesses i have have considered are
Rankin Diesel
MTQ Dandenong
Any thoughts?

Winnie
22nd May 2017, 09:42 PM
Hi AB and thanks for your advice.
It's great being able to tap into "real life advice" as something I've not done before and always relied on my servicing "experts".
Other businesses i have have considered are
Rankin Diesel
MTQ Dandenong
Any thoughts?
I would personally avoid MTQ. They set up my car for the previous owner and it was all wrong. It should. Never have been set up the way it was, it was a bad setup.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Rotten Ronny
22nd May 2017, 09:55 PM
Hey Cuppa! thanks for you comments as great information although Geelong might be a bit of a stretch but thank you anyway. The prices you quote seem very reasonable though.
My truck is fitted with 3" exhaust, and no mods to turbo or pump or intercooler but is a hamburger with the lot! So it has "lot's" of addons.
I tow 16.5' Jayco Journey Outback pop top (1.9t) or Black Series Phoenix camper (1.4t) and struggle.

How do you add your details as i would like to put mine up also

4bye4
22nd May 2017, 09:59 PM
G'day mate and welcome to the forum

Rotten Ronny
Hi Winnie,
Thanks for your input. What was it that was wrong?
Please understand that i know absolutely zero about what is good or bad.

Rotten Ronny
Thanks 4bye4

Rossco
22nd May 2017, 10:48 PM
Hey mate yeah those figures do seem a bit high, notice with mine doesnt really use much more fuel at all towing (GQ td42). I've been to diesel tek before too, Andrew does know his stuff and can recommend them. Best of luck with it.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

petmagete
23rd May 2017, 10:51 AM
Hi Ron, im new also, im Pete.
your ride is a bit cleaner than mine, looking forward to fitting a turbo to mine so it can keep up with cars like yours

Cuppa
23rd May 2017, 10:54 AM
Just on our fuel consumption & towing.

I'm not a leadfoot & usually get around 1050kms from main & sub tank (95 & 85 litres) before refilling, driving solo locally, never less than a 15 or 20km return journey, mix of town & country.

Interestingly I recently used both tanks, on longer drives, of which about half was towing the Tvan. Significantly the time towing the Tvan was accompanying friends in their OKA based motorhome, who stuck rigidly to an 85kph touring max. My trip counter is now reading 1080, and based upon previous experience I still have enough fuel for at least another 70kms, possibly a bit more. That is at least an extra 100kms per fill - a combination of less stop/start driving, plus lower & more consistent speed. This works out at 15.something litres per 100km.

I had expected a difference in fuel consumption, but thought that towing would probably result in much the same as I usually get solo. Seems that the Tvan makes little to no difference echoing Rossco's experience, but similar fuel consumption to Ronny (The extra width & height of the Telstra pod & the roof mounted solar create drag, & the vehicle has a raised GVM)

gaddy
23rd May 2017, 01:08 PM
G'day
I don't normally weigh in on fuel consumption, to many variables, driving style , tyre sizes , roof racks , head winds all make a difference, for me I get anywhere between 15 - 20+ , towing 3t full height offroad van , I will happily sit on 100kph all day in 4th , tdi 4.2 on 285s full length rack 3 inch turbo back muffed exhaust and snorkel .

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Rotten Ronny
23rd May 2017, 10:08 PM
I'm not a lead foot either and drive very conservatively. I get max 650kms out of 80lt + 30lt reserve so economy is shit and put camper or van and we have a problem. your truck has more fuel capacity and TVan much lighter than my tow so you will be in front. Many of guys have recommended Diesel-tec so i will see how they fix truck economy.
Thanks for the advice Cuppa and i will let everyone know how i go

Rotten Ronny
23rd May 2017, 10:12 PM
Thanks for your input Winnie,
On the weight of numbers (recommendations by other posts) I will be going to Diesel-tec and let all know how I go

Rotten Ronny
23rd May 2017, 10:36 PM
Hi Gaddy and thanks for your input, what year is your truck and what size tyres are you running?

Your spot on as i mentioned in earlier post my truck is hamburger with the lot and creates a bit of drag.

My setup is 2" EFS lift, BFG KM2 33's, 3" exhaust, Nissan snorkel, ARB Deluxe bar, Warn XDC 9.5 winch, Lightforce 240 XGT, ARB sidesteps and brush bars, ARB front and rear lockers, ARB underbonnet compressor, ARB turbo timer, Autron pillar pod gauges, ARB full lenth alloy roof rack, Foxwing Awning, 32" HiLift (genuine) jack, Redarc dual battery, Redarc BCDC charger, 42" LED bar on rack, Black widow drawers (full of recovery gear and other shit), cargo barrier and top shelf, 40lt Engel, Pioneer AVIC-F10BT Navi, plus lots lots more as well as map of AUS on bonnet for the big lap!.

I'm going to Diesel-tec for some therapy

Rotten Ronny
23rd May 2017, 10:39 PM
Thanks a lot for your input Rosco as I will going to see Andrew at Diesel-tec

Rotten Ronny
23rd May 2017, 10:48 PM
Hi Pete and welcome to the forum! i think i can say that now! Don't know about that a i got smoked at the lights this morning by a P plater in old GQ (non turbo i think but wasn't close enough to hear ha Ha!) but i wasn't trying to beat him. (no that's not true as I would have loved too but gave up after his 2nd gear lurch forward)

Whats your truck?

threedogs
24th May 2017, 02:18 PM
Hello RR and welcome to the forum, most of all enjoy

Rotten Ronny
24th May 2017, 09:12 PM
Well I am humbled to receive your comment (being a God you know and me a nobody!)

Rotten Ronny
25th June 2017, 10:29 PM
AB, Diesel-Tec did great job and is new truck!