PDA

View Full Version : Roof Rack or Cargo Barrier

Mc4by
20th May 2017, 04:36 PM
I am in need of a bit more storage room in my 2002 GUIII.
Looking for thoughts from those with more experience and knowledge than me on whether a cargo barrier to allow me to pack higher or roof rack would be better.

MudRunnerTD
20th May 2017, 05:00 PM
Cargo barrier protects the occupants. I'd go cargo barrier first if I had to choose. Also when touring the stuff on the roof should be avoided or limited if you can. Touring with a full roof and half full car is nuts.

Winnie
20th May 2017, 05:27 PM
People die from objects in the rear of the vehicle becoming projectiles in an accident. Cargo barriers save lives.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

threedogs
20th May 2017, 05:50 PM
ADR cargo barrier evey day of the week ,,plus you can bolt other goodies to it

Clunk
20th May 2017, 07:12 PM
I had the roof rack first then along came the cargo barrier, but only because that's the way it ended uo being....... Heavy stuff in the back, lighter stuff on the roof....... The car is chockers when the 5 of us go camping

Mc4by
20th May 2017, 08:38 PM

Went looking for ADR cargo barriers as opposed to Milford or Black Widow. Google told me ADR wasn't actually a brand name :(

JackCollo
20th May 2017, 09:20 PM
Speaking of cargo barriers can you guys recommend some good brands something that's strong and isn't gonna break

MB
20th May 2017, 09:22 PM
Stop using acronyms John :-)
https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/
"The Australian Design Rules (ADRs) are national standards for vehicle safety"

MB
20th May 2017, 09:40 PM
Speaking of cargo barriers can you guys recommend some good brands something that's strong and isn't gonna break

'Autosafe Industries' we have in the family GU truckster wagon Jack mate. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/05/161.jpgVery simple install, child seat strap allowances both sides, contours to the rear seat too so draw system fit perfectly without mods too. Had a serious bingle in my old DX podder ute and thank my lucky stars the crash wasn't a wagon without a barrier in place. Most of my tools, twin pod batteries all broke free and were stuffed, thankfully the culprit and I both survived without physical harm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JackCollo
20th May 2017, 11:37 PM
How much did you pay from that looks good mate

MB
20th May 2017, 11:46 PM
Luckily only paid around $150 bucks Jack mate. 2nd hand/very newish from an old member on here alerted from my bro before my time on here. They're based in Boronia-Vic according to the plates for Googling:-) I'm sure there would be many others as good but was impressed mostly with the install ease and very tight rear seat angle hugging design to allow draws afterwards easy peasy as ET would say!

JackCollo
3rd June 2017, 01:22 AM
So I'm a bit stuck about what to pick up first for the GU
1. Cargo barrier
2. Rear drawers
3. Dual battery system
4. Winch
5. Set of 16X8 with 33's on them

4bye4
3rd June 2017, 10:26 AM
In the order you have there I would think. The cargo barrier is going to be easier to fit before the drawers and it's better to have dual batteries before the winch. Tyres meh whenever you got the cash

Mc4by
3rd June 2017, 11:08 AM
In my case I got the drawers the same day I got the Patrol. Cargo barrier next as the consensus of the forum was that it was a safety issue as well as a storage bonus. It came up at a great price so I couldn't pass it up. Then a week later I tripped over a great deal on the roof rack. I have the wiring for a dual battery to be located in the back and now I'm looking for a good battery.

Clunk
3rd June 2017, 12:21 PM
it really does depend on what you want to do with your vehicle...........
I went tyres first because I was more into day trips off road than camping at the time. Car already had a dual battery system, which I didn't use. Got a cheap roof rack for carrying kayaks and fitting the awning too.
The second patrol I bought already had the 33s, dual battery system, so I added the roof rack from the old patrol. Cargo barrier came up cheap, so bought that, only had my winch a couple of years but rarely gets used. Still don't have a rear drawer system, for me it takes up too much room in the boot which the dogs need.

So again, all depends on your requirements. Get what you can get when you can afford it, or when you feel that it's time that you will definitely use it

JackCollo
3rd June 2017, 04:04 PM
All good thanks guys for your input. Can anyone suggest some good brands for the things I listed.
Was thinking autosafe for the barrier
Supercentre rear drawers and winch
And I would love to have a optima d31a for the dual battery but not sure about the wiring for it brand wise
And tires I was going for a set of the federal couragias mt's

katwoman
3rd June 2017, 10:03 PM
The Titan (supacentre) draws are good for the price, I think. Had a lot of issues with a 'cheap' winch, ended up with a medium priced Ironman instead. I use projecta duel system so I can swap between batteries if needed. And I believe the federals are crap.

JackCollo
5th June 2017, 09:07 AM
What makes the federal so crap

katwoman
5th June 2017, 11:29 AM
I had them on a shorty. Noisy and not great in the mud. Slippery on wet roads. That's just me

threedogs
5th June 2017, 02:19 PM
Stop using acronyms John :-)
https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/
"The Australian Design Rules (ADRs) are national standards for vehicle safety"

Just didnt want ppl fitting dodgey home made jobs that think will stop anything

Mc4by
5th June 2017, 02:24 PM
Just didnt want ppl fitting dodgey home made jobs that think will stop anything

I ended up with a Milford which has a tag that says it meets all the standards.