PDA

View Full Version : Engine/Gearbox removal

Dhuck
18th May 2017, 08:04 PM
Just throwing this out there. But has any one tried dropping the Engine and Gearbox together down instead of dropping the gearbox and lifting the engine out?

dom14
19th May 2017, 04:25 PM
Just throwing this out there. But has any one tried dropping the Engine and Gearbox together down instead of dropping the gearbox and lifting the engine out?

Why would you wanna do that?!?!
The combined weight & all the obstacles under the engine are bit too much for you to handle.
Engine's fitted in a way to pull it out of the top. Dropping engine means droppping what's under the engine first, which
is a fair bit of unwanted trouble.

Dhuck
19th May 2017, 06:48 PM
I have a suspension workshop at my beck and call. Hoist's and all that. Just not engine removal equipment. Need to borrow an engine crane. Rolling a diff out is neither here nor there.

dom14
20th May 2017, 12:30 AM
I have a suspension workshop at my beck and call. Hoist's and all that. Just not engine removal equipment. Need to borrow an engine crane. Rolling a diff out is neither here nor there.

Hard to post a definitive judgement on that. You obviously need to take your individual circumstances and available(and non available) resources into account.
As for me, even with an access to a hoist, I would pull the engine out of the top and separate the engine and gearbox from the get go.
It's way too heavy to handle as a single unit, let alone all the obstacles I have to get through.
It all depends on what's available to you and what's not. Use your own judgement, 'cos that's the best one at the end of the day.