PDA

View Full Version : indicators and hazards playing up

Col69
6th May 2017, 02:49 PM
hi my name is col, , just started up my 1998 gu 4500 patrol this morning and the hazard lights started comin on and off at random and the indicators would work for a few second and then change to blinking hazards they are all over the shop haha, does that sound like a relay switch fault and if so where the hell is it and how easy is it to get too any advice would be very much appreciated
cheers col

Turtle_au
6th May 2017, 03:20 PM
I would say a problem with the hazard switch, either that or you just don't use the indicators and pretend you drive a BMW.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Yendor
6th May 2017, 05:18 PM
Try removing the hazard light fuse (it’s in the fusebox under the bonnet) and see if it still plays up.

the evil twin
7th May 2017, 11:52 AM
Wot he said ^^^

Eliminate the hazard control circuits first and if the problem is still there it can be anything from grotty trailer plug, wiring shorts, indicator earths etc,

Turtle_au
7th May 2017, 03:56 PM
Could still be the hazard switch, bridging the left and right indicators.

the evil twin
8th May 2017, 11:16 AM
Could still be the hazard switch, bridging the left and right indicators.

All things are possible but pretty unlikely.
Pulling the fuse takes a couple of seconds and will 99.9% eliminate the Hazard Relay so therefore the Hazards can't "come on and off at random" as OP mentioned.

If the hazards 'appear' to activate only when the indicators are on then it would be a bit higher on the 'possibles' list altho that symptom is maybe 50% or more a damaged/corroded trailer plug or harness

But, I agree, it could be lots of weird faults... or even other systems IE theft alarms, remote locking, prev owner 1/2 rrsed mods, etc,
It just pays to eliminate the easy stuff first