PDA

View Full Version : 98 GU v8 Conversion project

Jak
27th April 2017, 08:09 AM
Hi all,

glad I found this site. I was just looking for service manuals and came across it.

I have a 98 2.8 manual GU.

Its been an awesome truck. too many top trips and too many mods to list....(well I could try, but maybe later)

Anyway about 18 months ago I was on the highway in Nth Qld and the thing lost power, overheated, dropped power steering and I pulled over. Looked like a water pump or something given the pool of coolant puking out.

Well, turned out the keyway at the end of the crank snapped off. harmonic balancer got upset. Belts and shit all over the place. I've since discovered thats at lest a new crank. Big Job. Expensive if you want to do it right.

I had it towed to my mechanic, insurance said it wasn't covered and there its sat ever since.

It's too good to waste. Its getting towed to a mates workshop (mechanic) today and we're planning out an LS V8 conversion. Would be interested in the views and opinions of others on this job because I want to get it right.

Cheers,

Jak

MB
27th April 2017, 08:13 AM
Welcome aboard mate! I believe there is quite a few threads on petrol Chev conversions on here. Which LS are you contemplating 1, 2 or 3 beast :-) Good luck, have fun mate, will be a ripper in the end!

threedogs
27th April 2017, 08:20 AM
Hello and welcome to the Forum,,,enjoy

Jak
27th April 2017, 08:31 AM
Yeah it'll be good.

not sure which one just yet. There looks to be plenty of LS1's around and my mate says there's plenty of people working on them around town. We'll see though. Still have to plan it out.

Cheers,

MB
27th April 2017, 09:37 AM
LS1 (350/5.7L) will be cheapest of the three Jak or alternatively just go an old simple naturally aspirated (350/5.7L carby job) A word of warning though on Quadrajet carbies, with their float being forward to back unlike a Holley side to side I believe. I found my old Quadrajets would starve out at the top of long rocky hill climbs, very scary indeed. Used to have to switch to LPG on the tough tracks before starting the climb mate!

neilehh
27th April 2017, 02:14 PM
sounds like the way to go Jak. welcome to the forum

Dhuck
27th April 2017, 07:14 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Jak
27th April 2017, 08:04 PM
MB,

Yeah, I wasn't thinking carby at all. I've heard about the problems with vert and sway and cold too so I thought I'd stick to injected. Even though they don't look as good :-)

So far I've found the LS1 Gen3 looks like the best bet .And I've found that the Marks adapter kit to fit my gearbox is $1600. I can get the holden 6 speed manual for about that. I have to work out what the mounts and things will cost too.

Any thoughts?

Jak
27th April 2017, 08:05 PM
Hi neilehh and Dhuck.

Thanks for that. appreciated.

MB
27th April 2017, 08:30 PM
Any thoughts?
You're more than on the right track already Jak mate! Unfortunately all my petrol Chev days/conversions were some 20 years ago and in dare I say FJ40&45 cruisers :-) Reckon if I ever get bored of the current faithful GU coily ute (396/6.5L diesel NA lazy twactor) I'll follow your thread to come and learn off you LS1's mate :-) Must admit, best times of my life were a FJ40/350 Chev up on Fraser Island, gotta love petrol Chev's in any Truck on the soft turf :-) !!

Seyko
29th April 2017, 02:24 AM
Welcome to the forum man!

There is a GU Patrol with a V8 conversion that rolls around my neighbourhood. The truck sounds insane and it looks the part too, lifted too the max with massive tyres. It's pretty cool, goodluck with the build!

growler2058
30th April 2017, 10:14 AM
G'day Jak welcome aboard mate. Gotta friendly mob here fulla great info and advice

AB
30th April 2017, 05:23 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions.

MITTS
11th May 2017, 12:54 PM
Welcome and good luck with the build!