PDA

View Full Version : The antique and rustc items thread

threedogs
21st April 2017, 10:44 AM
If you have anything old, rusty and interesting to show everyone this is the thread.
Im sure you have some items other members may be able to identify for you.
Have a look in your shed,,,mancave and put it here with a story as to what it is etc etc.

threedogs
21st April 2017, 03:52 PM
I have two of these cast iron water fountains, was going to have one hanging from a tripod
at camp so there was always hot water on hand, they are made by either Clarke and Co,
the other maker is Kendrick and sons. this one is 4 gallons

GQtdauto
21st April 2017, 06:13 PM
My god you do have an antique shop at your place John !
Rescued this from the wood pile at the tip .

threedogs
22nd April 2017, 10:25 AM
This is a water tank from a steam locomotive up Cairns way from around 1850.
The idea is to get it polished sell it to a hot rod guy or build a red gum table top
for it.

Clunk
22nd April 2017, 11:10 AM
My god you do have an antique shop at your place John !
Rescued this from the wood pile at the tip .

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71590&stc=1

good job sticking that to the ceiling ;)

GQtdauto
22nd April 2017, 12:40 PM
Sorry Clunk you're going to have to draw me a picture ?

Cuppa
22nd April 2017, 01:18 PM
I thought the same as Clunk. ;)

Clunk
22nd April 2017, 01:40 PM
Sorry Clunk you're going to have to draw me a picture ?

photo shows upside down when viewing on the pc :1087:

threedogs
22nd April 2017, 05:21 PM
From days of olde these were the favoured camp oven,
They range in size from 1 gallon all the way up to 10gallon jobs,
the bigger ones are used for fire wood in older homes, adds a bit
of charm. Trouble with all these cast iron pots and pans is they are normally found
in wet barns and most will be pitted and have holes everywhere. My 2 gallon one
is hole free and will be going to camp once everything settles down. Just insert a
silver foil liner and away you go.

GQtdauto
22nd April 2017, 06:16 PM
You have got some fantastic old stuff TD , instead of antique shop I'm thinking museum .
As for photos upside down no idea they are the right way up when I view them , for some reason apple and Microsoft just don't get along .

threedogs
22nd April 2017, 07:06 PM
You have got some fantastic old stuff TD , instead of antique shop I'm thinking museum .
As for photos upside down no idea they are the right way up when I view them , for some reason apple and Microsoft just don't get along .

Received these two kettles from my son on my last birthday,
both date from mid 1800s, plan is to polish them and just display them.

GQtdauto
22nd April 2017, 07:20 PM
Again TD , very nice .

threedogs
22nd April 2017, 10:40 PM
Ive re-coed a few of these burners the one with the tank is brand new from an empty house.
You can buy all the parts you'll ever need from the UK, ,,tip a bit of metho in the cup ,,light
that then give it a few pumps works a treat imo cant get the paint stripper gun to work
though must be doing something wrong, they all need a decent polish to display

GQtdauto
22nd April 2017, 11:22 PM
Very old Companion burner , used to sell Tilley lamps at the camping store in Canberra close to 30 years ago .
Thank god for LED lights I say .

threedogs
22nd April 2017, 11:25 PM
Ill email you the best led camp light Ive come across.
The burners are a little noisey like the coleman lights of old

threedogs
23rd April 2017, 02:31 PM
A great book to get hold of is by Alan Carter and has prices and pictures on all things antique
furniture ,crystal,glassware you name it well worth buying

GQtdauto
23rd April 2017, 05:49 PM
Occasionally I watch the antique road show but won't admit it .

GQtdauto
23rd April 2017, 07:47 PM
Not sure if you call this an antique but if you bought one new you would be .

GQtdauto
23rd April 2017, 07:52 PM
Catalogue was printed in 1936 .

threedogs
24th April 2017, 04:18 PM
Certainly worth something to an Austin collector
Picked this 1911 gramophone cabinet up for $10 stripped it back
had a single door made then stained it with a walnut stain then a semi gloss
My Ansonia 1890 clock sits on top along with other bits and pieces.
where the phonograph once sat Ive converted it to hold CDs, was going to house
a Hi Fi system still might, even fitted a wind up handle to the side, adds a bit of charm lol

GQtdauto
24th April 2017, 06:07 PM
Makes me think that cabinet I rescued from the tip must be around the same vintage but all I had to do was give it a wipe over .

threedogs
25th April 2017, 11:23 AM
Makes me think that cabinet I rescued from the tip must be around the same vintage but all I had to do was give it a wipe over .

Yeah Id put your cabinet at around 1920, I even have a "goes under"
to suit it, lol

GQtdauto
25th April 2017, 05:45 PM
Start distilling tomorrow so hope to get a chance to take some pics of some bits and pieces for the thread .

VK2FMIA
26th April 2017, 10:22 AM
This artillery shell has been sitting on our wall unit since I can remember, no one knew where it came from or who brought it home. After a bit of research I found that it was brought home by my uncle who had fought in France during World War 1 near the Somme River with the 33rd Battalion in August 1918.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/301.jpg

The inscription says:

The Battle of Accroche Wood 8-8-18 Somme River Area

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/302.jpg

The markings on the shell:

PATR-FABR

AUG 1889

KARLSBRUHE

I take it the date of AUG 1889 was when it was made. Karlsbruhe was the factory in Germany where it was made. It would have taken a 40mm projectile but I can`t find out what artillery it was used in, maybe Anti Aircraft cannon.

I usually give it a clean on Anzac Day so I thought I would share it on here.

threedogs
26th April 2017, 10:35 AM
Yeah correct 1889 was the build date my earliest is on 1927.
I found out what it was from the other day but have forgotten.
I think its a 5 lber, another I had made into a drinking mug
stays cold for eons.

What are the dimensions of the shell??
The Somme was a critical battle on the western front
lots of Aust lives lost..

VK2FMIA
26th April 2017, 10:56 AM
Yeah correct 1889 was the build date my earliest is on 1927.
I found out what it was from the other day but have forgotten.
I think its a 5 lber, another I had made into a drinking mug
stays cold for eons.

What are the dimensions of the shell??
The Somme was a critical battle on the western front
lots of Aust lives lost..

Hey 3D, the shell is 120 mm high & 40 mm across. Just did a quick Google search & found out the shell was used in the Hotchkiss Gun as far back as the Boer War. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotchkiss_gun The projectile was filled with 28 ball bearings.

The 33rd Battalion took part in heavy fighting when the Australians counter-attacked at Hangard Wood on 30 March, before finally turning back the German attack on Villers-Bretonneux on 4 April.

In August, the Allies launched the Hundred Days Offensive – which ultimately brought about an end to the war. The 33rd was committed to the battle on 8 August, tasked with capturing Accroche Wood, which they did. My uncle was wounded in the battle, lived to make it home but died not long after from his injury.

threedogs
26th April 2017, 11:00 AM
Hey 3D, the shell is 120 mm high & 40 mm across. Have been trying to find out what artillery the Germans where using, not many records of that about.

The 33rd Battalion took part in heavy fighting when the Australians counter-attacked at Hangard Wood on 30 March, before finally turning back the German attack on Villers-Bretonneux on 4 April.

In August, the Allies launched the Hundred Days Offensive – which ultimately brought about an end to the war. The 33rd was committed to the battle on 8 August, tasked with capturing Accroche Wood, which they did. My uncle was wounded in the battle, lived to make it home but died not long after from his injury.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_German_weapons_of_World_War_I
try this I have others
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:World_War_I_artillery_ammunition
this has pics

VK2FMIA
26th April 2017, 11:31 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_German_weapons_of_World_War_I
try this I have others
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:World_War_I_artillery_ammunition
this has pics

Found it 3D. Did a search for PATR-FABR. The 37mm cartridge is a German made canister shot http://samilitaryhistory.org/vol031fb.html used in the Hotchkiss Gun - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotchkiss_gun

Also known as a "Pom Pom"

threedogs
26th April 2017, 01:06 PM
Found it 3D. Did a search for PATR-FABR. The 37mm cartridge is a German made canister shot http://samilitaryhistory.org/vol031fb.html used in the Hotchkiss Gun - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotchkiss_gun

Also known as a "Pom Pom"

I think the Australian war memorial would love to have that on loan.
but its a family piece.

I have a 1913 German butcher bayonet traced it back to the western Front
from the battalion numbers stamped on the scabbard

just reading through that second link so believe mine to be from an 19 lber

GQtdauto
26th April 2017, 01:58 PM
Not only an antique shop a war memorial too ! You certainly have a varied collection .

Turtle_au
26th April 2017, 04:18 PM
This was in my grandfather's shed until the 70's with assorted electrical parts in it. He fought at Gallipoli and Ypres but not sure where he got it.
I then used it as a gig box to carry leads, spare valves and strings in. It then was used to store electronic bits and pieces. Stood up well after all these years.716697167071671

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

GQtdauto
26th April 2017, 04:27 PM
Very nice Turtle , would probably look good stripped back and lacquered but I think it was always army green .

threedogs
26th April 2017, 05:07 PM
Plus medieval ha ha
so many motar and pestles so many from 1750 till now
name it I probably have it somewhere lol lol
EDIT ;;and Rubiks cubes from a 2 right up to an 8 sided one

Just shows you how well made gear was way back in the day

threedogs
26th April 2017, 06:42 PM
VK2FMIA seems a tad strange this shell was used in WW1
date of manu was 1889,,, WW1 started in 1915 thats 25 yrs apart
I cant see them saving ammunition for that long,, not saying its not genuine
it is,, maybe it was an empty shell he found at the time, would of been plenty
lying around Id think

GQtdauto
26th April 2017, 06:51 PM
Think stock pile , in them days they hoarded shells and ammo , armies world wide still do , it's a wonder the powder was still good to fire it .
Nearly bought a knights outfit in WA I think it was but which shipping etc changed our mind , would look good at the bottom of the stairs .

bazzaboy
26th April 2017, 08:43 PM
Found this brass name plate off an old explosion proof safe. Cleaned it up a bit.

Chased up the history of the makers : M.G. Dyke & Sons operated in Victoria from about 1880 until they were bought out by Chubb around 1970. At one stage in the late 1800's they stopped making safes and made pot belly stoves.

* Just found this workshop receipt/invoice for some lock work from the same company. Check out the date and header details.

GQtdauto
26th April 2017, 09:39 PM
Very nice nameplate Bazz.

VK2FMIA
27th April 2017, 09:07 AM
VK2FMIA seems a tad strange this shell was used in WW1
date of manu was 1889,,, WW1 started in 1915 thats 25 yrs apart
I cant see them saving ammunition for that long,, not saying its not genuine
it is,, maybe it was an empty shell he found at the time, would of been plenty
lying around Id think

Seemed a bit odd to me as well. Did see another shell the same as this one online yesterday from the same year but different WW1 battlefield. Most of the munitions factories would have been destroyed by then. I think by the end of the war they where using whatever they had.

threedogs
27th April 2017, 10:15 AM
I know from researching my bayonet that a lot of arms were re-purposed, especially bayonets
they can date back to the 1600s.
My bayonet was introduced in 1901 for Prussian machine gunners ,in 1910 it was designated for Colonial troops
then eventally many others, was made in Solinger under Kaiser Willhelms reign.
It has heaps of infomation on it via all the markings, I love researching this kind of gear.

I researched an old file I found from an empty house and dated that to about 1760 as special steel was the first stainless
that they made. It was in as new condition, probably used by a blacksmith. key words were warranted steel [forged]
If there is a story behind the object all the better, I love the history of the object
and would hate to see it all burnt or thrown down the tip.
I even researched an old knife I thought was from my grandma but found it dated much
earlier and was most likely my great grandma's

threedogs
27th April 2017, 10:34 AM
Here's a ripper that a member here had made up [big fella],, think it was W.H.Thayer who invented it.
Its a 8 in 1 kitchen helper, pre electricity,,, Can even be used as a trivett, its always in my Tucker box

https://au.pinterest.com/pin/104568022575645105/

GQtdauto
27th April 2017, 11:01 AM
Also make good knuckle busters TD .

threedogs
27th April 2017, 04:26 PM
Also make good knuckle busters TD .

This is my 1913 bayonet, plenty written about it in the Knife thread

GQtdauto
27th April 2017, 05:06 PM
You keep amazing me with the variety of old stuff you have !

Bush Ranger
22nd May 2017, 09:50 PM
Sun Sculpture manufactured by Underwood & Underwood, New York. Patented June 11.1901. Have quite a few photos for it, that are packed in a bible book box of some sort and an old wooden Monopole Magnums Mild Tobacco box. Search the web and came across one other with a few similar photos.

Bush Ranger
24th May 2017, 09:39 AM
Not sure if this fits in here, but I found a December, 1977 to January, 1978 The Road Ahead paper page which had an advert for CB`s. The Road Ahead is printed for the RACQ I think. I`m not sure what I`ll do with it. I have thought of finding a picture frame to put it in, unless some one else wants it.

Turtle_au
24th May 2017, 10:50 AM
Not sure if this fits in here, but I found a December, 1977 to January, 1978 The Road Ahead paper page which had an advert for CB`s. The Road Ahead is printed for the RACQ I think. I`m not sure what I`ll do with it. I have thought of finding a picture frame to put it in, unless some one else wants it.
Just after they were legalized and I got my car license. Fun times.

threedogs
24th May 2017, 12:38 PM
some of the older quirky anvertisments might be worth framing.
I have some "Wheels" magazines from the mid 50's saying
transistor radios were just a passing fad and would never catch on
how wrong were those "experts".
great items for mancave walls etc

threedogs
24th May 2017, 02:36 PM
Dont know how old this mouse trap is 4 in 1,,my oldest rat trap is from 1895.
It presents well with the others, need to do a new exhibit somehow.
Its all history to me,,,,,you know the last thing a mouse says before the trap goes off
shh.....

threedogs
24th May 2017, 02:48 PM
Sun Sculpture manufactured by Underwood & Underwood, New York. Patented June 11.1901. Have quite a few photos for it, that are packed in a bible book box of some sort and an old wooden Monopole Magnums Mild Tobacco box. Search the web and came across one other with a few similar photos.

Remember those Panoramas well when we went to visit granny

Woof
24th May 2017, 05:47 PM
One of these is mine and the other is my brothers, both are sitting outside at my brothers house
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm190/Uriah57/20161203_125618_zpsxflws0vj.jpg (http://s296.photobucket.com/user/Uriah57/media/20161203_125618_zpsxflws0vj.jpg.html)

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm190/Uriah57/20161203_125744_zpsbiyaodkh.jpg (http://s296.photobucket.com/user/Uriah57/media/20161203_125744_zpsbiyaodkh.jpg.html)

Bush Ranger
24th May 2017, 06:04 PM
Just after they were legalized and I got my car license. Fun times.

I remember paying $14 to $17 I think it was in 1987 - 88 for a CB licence. Had some fun times too and now the internet has taken its place.

Bush Ranger
24th May 2017, 06:08 PM
Remember those Panoramas well when we went to visit granny

I`d seen the odd one around and managed to get one, because it was going to be given away else where.

threedogs
26th May 2017, 01:01 PM
Doggy,,,, Furphy water tanks ends ,getting harder and harder to find these days
these two are great examples, very very lucky

jack
26th May 2017, 01:53 PM
One of these is mine and the other is my brothers, both are sitting outside at my brothers house
[/URL]

Wow, ones a limited edition and the other one is very old. Your brother really doesn't need one if he leaves them outside, you'd better rescue it Doggy.

Woof
26th May 2017, 02:12 PM
Wow, ones a limited edition and the other one is very old. Your brother really doesn't need one if he leaves them outside, you'd better rescue it Doggy.

We were talking about them recently, we have nowhere to keep them so will most likely sell both of them

threedogs
26th May 2017, 06:15 PM
@ Doggy expect about $1500 -$2000 each
and thats my low quote.
as a pair the sky's the limit

OOI the Chinese writing is the same quote as "Good ,better best
never let it rest, till your good is better and your better best".
Telecom pinched for a while, slackers

GeeYou8
30th May 2017, 08:31 AM
I was told it was Pitman's shorthand on them, I still can't read it.

Woof
30th May 2017, 01:22 PM
I was told it was Pitman's shorthand on them, I still can't read it.

Yes you are correct mate, it says "Water is the gift of God, but beer is a concoction of the devil, don't drink beer."

threedogs
30th May 2017, 01:58 PM
Yes you are correct mate, it says "Water is the gift of God, but beer is a concoction of the devil, don't drink beer."

Stand corrected dont listen to drunks in Pubs eh
Is it syryilic and ideal of language
Must be correct as they are water tank ends after all lol

Bush Ranger
5th June 2017, 07:38 PM
@ Three Dogs. Here`s the one I acquired the other day. It has a little tin label with MAWSON with an arrow through the middle from M to N and also has REGD No 2465. The last digit looks like a 5, as there`s a bit of paint on it that makes it a bit hard to read.

threedogs
6th June 2017, 10:29 AM
@ Three Dogs. Here`s the one I acquired the other day. It has a little tin label with MAWSON with an arrow through the middle from M to N and also has REGD No 2465. The last digit looks like a 5, as there`s a bit of paint on it that makes it a bit hard to read.

I like the front loader compared to the top loader style.
more uses, keeps wine perfect, good pick up, first two [same one] are just ply
the last is a silky oak thats a ripper.
Last one is a red cadar ice box from 1850
also have 3 meat safes from 1860s to about 1920 they are great for entertainment units
One is baltic pine the others are hard wood of some kind

Are you going to strip it back, looks like it a ply wood one from the photo
Does yours still have the glass tube down the back for the melted ice. I cant
fing and glass drip trays anywhere. spares are readily available from the states
Mawson is an Aussie brand try and keep label in tact.
I made thatcircle of timber and the brass mess I think it fits in ok, normally
I think they had a cork to controll the temperature. silky oak is on the right but now
is fully recoed wuth brass everything, Ill try and find a decent pic, gave it a coat of semigloss
estopol

Bush Ranger
6th June 2017, 07:58 PM
threedogs. Haven`t had a proper look at the old fridge, but do know the back has a plywood look that it gets when it starts to lift, but still solid enough. From memory, there`s a hole at the top on the inside of the main cabinet, that looks like it could of had a drain for the water to go down. No glass drain and hopefully I will strip it back one day. I might need to make up some shelves for it too, as it has none at the moment. Picked it up for zilch. Your lot look okay.

threedogs
6th June 2017, 08:07 PM
threedogs. Haven`t had a proper look at the old fridge, but do know the back has a plywood look that it gets when it starts to lift, but still solid enough. From memory, there`s a hole at the top on the inside of the main cabinet, that looks like it could of had a drain for the water to go down. No glass drain and hopefully I will strip it back one day. I might need to make up some shelves for it too, as it has none at the moment. Picked it up for zilch. Your lot look okay.

Good price and would look awesome stripped back. those first 2 photos are the same fridge
it stores dry dog food and parrort seed so all locked up and safe from any mice'
This one has enamel inserts on the inside of the doors. Some are Gal with brass screws and
brass mesh trays Pics are the same ice chest paid $10 for this one.
$40 for the 1850 one from the Shamrock hotel in Bendigo. My silky oak one I paid $100.
now fully recoed with polished brass tray and screw head plus a complete set of brass hinges
and latches plus a pretty cool brass name plate value of that now Id put at $450

Bush Ranger
6th June 2017, 08:08 PM
Scored an old lantern the other day and found some thing similar on the internet that it may of been used for the railways, works well too. The lantern slides in to the outer tin.

Bush Ranger
6th June 2017, 08:09 PM
Good price and would look awesome stripped back. those first 2 photos are the same fridge
it stores dry dog food and parrort seed so all locked up and safe from any mice

The one that I have, had laundry powder stored in it. I guess they found another use for them, when time changed.

threedogs
6th June 2017, 08:57 PM
Scored an old lantern the other day and found some thing similar on the internet that it may of been used for the railways, works well too. The lantern slides in to the outer tin.

Id probably remove the original lighting system and convert it to LED some how
Great piece , very jealous

Bush Ranger
8th June 2017, 07:53 PM
threedogs. How dare you say that, geez, ha ha ha. I`ll keep it going as a going concern and use citronella instead of kerosene, as I reckon it smells better. Not a bad find for nothing and I have seen some thing similar on the internet, which was sold for around $92.