PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel carrier studs

michaelgreeny
14th April 2017, 03:29 PM
Hey all,

The stock rear wheel carrier on my '09 GU has stripped all the thread off a few of the holes so can't screw anything into it, and therefore can't put my spare wheel on it either.

Been quoted $95 for one from a wreckers, but was tossing up the idea of just getting 3 standard wheel studs (about $10 from a wrecker) and putting them in and then using wheel nuts to hold it on. Does anyone know if a standard stud will fit in those holes or would they need to be welded in?

Heading to the Gibb River Road in July so every cent counts currently!

Cheers

Ben-e-boy
14th April 2017, 03:47 PM
It is going to depend on the size of the now stripped hole and whether a new wheel stud will fit and lock in as the are a press fit.

threedogs
14th April 2017, 03:50 PM
If I was you I'd use some 70mm or smaller 12mm x 1.25 set bolts then just use normal 12mm wheel nuts
easy as to do,,,,,lol
Will need to be drilled and tapped if nearby happy to help,,,,lol

mudnut
14th April 2017, 04:13 PM
I have often thought of fitting standard studs, too. Although having the small sized bolts makes it easy to position the spare to put it back on. Please let us know how it goes if you do fit the studs. Cheers.

threedogs
14th April 2017, 04:18 PM
I have often thought of fitting standard studs, too. Although having the small sized bolts makes it easy to position the spare to put it back on. Please let us know how it goes if you do fit the studs. Cheers.

Now you have that ledge plus a stud to hold the wheel while you fit any nuts.
been meaning to do my spare wheel carrier, at one stage was going to sell
them in kit form,,,,,lol

mudnut
14th April 2017, 04:30 PM
Pics of the kit, John?

MudRunnerTD
14th April 2017, 04:52 PM
Do you mean the stud is stripped of thread or the hole in the carrier is wrecked?

If you want to replace studs then it's pretty easy. Mine did the same thing when a tyre guy decided he needed to tighten the spare with his rattle gun FFS! I was furious! Farking idiot.

If you can't get a good purchase with the new stud then some weld around the head of the stud will sort that out.

On my Kaymar I ended up using a second set of nuts. I tightened the nuts up on the studs then the wheel on the the second set of nuts. Works well.

MB
15th April 2017, 07:53 AM
Installing wheel studs is a great way to carry spares Michael if you don't weld em in. Made this setup on an old Toyoda carrier years back and did find the need to use all three spares to get home one trip! Like Darren, it was my old mechanics apprentice forgot to tighten the last wheel up and I flogged out the rim and all 6 studs. Pays to check these things oneself before departure I learnt the hard way, grrrrrrrr!

michaelgreeny
16th April 2017, 12:58 PM
Cheers guys, sounds like I'll give it a go and see what comes of it, good point MB of not welding them in and being able to use them as spares. Will put some photos up once I've done it and hopefully it'll work the same in reality as it does in my own head.

threedogs
16th April 2017, 01:26 PM
Cheers guys, sounds like I'll give it a go and see what comes of it, good point MB of not welding them in and being able to use them as spares. Will put some photos up once I've done it and hopefully it'll work the same in reality as it does in my own head.

Tojo are renouned for snapping studs, Id just buy some front
and rear Nissan studs and put them in a bag in the glove box.