PDA

View Full Version : Old Bloke with an old patrol new to the forum

roland.sue.cox@gmail.com
11th April 2017, 03:32 PM
Just a quick hello to you all.
I have been reading the forums for quite a while as I find most things I need to know have already been canvessed to death and all the info is there, hence my introduction.
We have a 2005 4.2 patrol which we have had from new and the old girl has done just over 300K with very little problems.
About half has been off road, most of the deserts as well as any non existant track we could find.

As with many, we have had heating issues from 2 weeks old and never resolved. I have just had to replace the radiator because of a split and I have put a 3 core Copper/Brass unit in. However I found that the Airconditioning cooler has sustained some damage at some stage by a heavy handed mechanic somewhere, as all the fins were bent over in the centre. The main thing I did find was the core fins are starting to deteriate and fall apart when I tried to straighted the fins. That will be a job before we go anywhere. So it is no wonder I have a cooling issue now.

Last week I found the car would not start, to cut a long story short, I finally got going and got the car home. After a lot of research and checking, I found I had a NATS problem but just where was the issue.
This is an interesting one as I was all set to either pull the dash out and get at the NATS unit OR pull the fuel pump off and disable ther NATS solenoid. Neither are a job I releashed so I did some more searching and decided to check the key operation. At this stage I can manage to get the NATS to disable with some gentle manipulation of the key untill I can get down and get a new key.
Last job at this stage is to adjust ther RHS front wheel bearing although I have a list of "later" jobs as well.
Lastly let me congratulate you all of a good forum without all the jibber found on some.
Regards
Roland Cox

threedogs
11th April 2017, 03:38 PM
Wow hello and welcome to the forum you'll find a great thread on the front wheel bearings
you may want to start a seperate thread with your issues, In the meantime ask anything you want
but most of all enjoy, Ill find the link for the wheel bearing for you

Here you go enjoy http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?39075-DIY-Wheel-Bearing-Adjustment

Touses
11th April 2017, 03:39 PM
G'day bloke, welcome! Wonderfully infomative intro, many thanks for the positive feeback!
Not entirely sure about the lack of jibber but definitely some cluey people here!
Again, welcome, enjoy!

threedogs
11th April 2017, 04:11 PM
Just thinking whats the condition of your plastic fan ,they can become brittle over time.
Also have you had the viscous hub serviced at all recently ?

GQtdauto
11th April 2017, 04:14 PM
Welcome to the forum and great intro .

Dhuck
11th April 2017, 06:31 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

MB
11th April 2017, 06:45 PM
Welcome aboard Roland!

AB
11th April 2017, 06:55 PM
Hi Cox let me know if you want your username changed to a name not your email address mate.

Welcome to the forum too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roland.sue.cox@gmail.com
11th April 2017, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, maybe you could change it to "Roland" for me please.

Hodge
11th April 2017, 08:33 PM
Last week I found the car would not start, to cut a long story short, I finally got going and got the car home. After a lot of research and checking, I found I had a NATS problem but just where was the issue.
This is an interesting one as I was all set to either pull the dash out and get at the NATS unit OR pull the fuel pump off and disable ther NATS solenoid. Neither are a job I releashed so I did some more searching and decided to check the key operation. At this stage I can manage to get the NATS to disable with some gentle manipulation of the key untill I can get down and get a new key.
Last job at this stage is to adjust ther RHS front wheel bearing although I have a list of "later" jobs as well.
Lastly let me congratulate you all of a good forum without all the jibber found on some.
Regards
Roland Cox

Welcome to the forum Roland. I've got the same rig mate. Mine's just clicked over 100k recently.
Have you considered a high flow water pump to help with the cooling.
Like you I am NOT looking forward to the NATS issue on the pump solenoid. I am actually half considering taking it to the mechanic and just get it by-passed before it leaves me stranded somewhere.

Adjusting the bearings takes all of 10 minutes on each side. Just watch out for those 2 smalls screws they are super soft and can be rounded off very easily.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=71476&stc=1

roland.sue.cox@gmail.com
11th April 2017, 08:48 PM
Thanks "threedogs". I had found the thread when I did the intro so thats one job out of the way. It certainly takes the guess work out of it and I don't believe in reinventing the wheel.
Since I made the post, I have had more grief with the NATS system so tomorrow I will remove the offensive item.

Hodge
11th April 2017, 08:51 PM
If it's the solenoid. Have a read of this thread. Very helpful info in there.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?24666-NATS-Immobilizer-light-staying-on&highlight=NATS

roland.sue.cox@gmail.com
11th April 2017, 08:56 PM
Hello Hodge,
Thanks for the reply and great pics.
There are a few things I am going to do to the vehicle to help to keep its cool. The Air conditioner heat exchanger does need to be replaced because it it just plain restrictive now so I may as well do the water pump and fan at the same time. The car has been good but there are a few things now that are starting to show ware and tear. Truth is, there is nothing out there I would replace the old girl with. I did wait hoping Nissan would come up with a new vehicle worth having but they have lost the plot.

roland.sue.cox@gmail.com
11th April 2017, 08:59 PM
Funny, I was reading that when your reply came through. Beats the crap out of taking the pump off. I will have to sharpen the dremmel tomorrow.

Hodge
11th April 2017, 09:02 PM
. Truth is, there is nothing out there I would replace the old girl with. I did wait hoping Nissan would come up with a new vehicle worth having but they have lost the plot.

Yep I could not think of a car out there that can replace this GU. I love driving it. It's a truck-like clunker box on the road, definitely not the fastest car on the road, but I have faith it'll keep me happy for years to come that's for sure.

roland.sue.cox@gmail.com
11th April 2017, 09:08 PM
If it's only got a 100k on it it is still brand new, makes me envious. We have been a lot of places, many without tracks and as long as you don't flog it, it won't let you down. In fact you can go a lot further and faster by taking it easy.

threedogs
12th April 2017, 10:40 AM
[QUOTE In fact you can go a lot further and faster by taking it easy.[/QUOTE]

aint that the truth lol

4bye4
17th April 2017, 11:26 AM
G'day mate and welcome to the forum.