PDA

View Full Version : Relay Chattering/Cycling Noise ??????????

jack
8th April 2017, 08:33 PM
Hello,

One for the autoelec gurus I think.

After I switch off the car I've occasionally heard a bubbling type noise in the passenger side rear quarter panel. This can be up to 20 mins after turning the engine off and doesn't happen every time.
I'm assuming it's a relay rapidly switching but unsure. Sometimes it stops if I turn the key on and then off or I unlock and open then close the door.

Any ideas/solutions greatly appreciated as it's a PIA.

Cheers

GQtdauto
8th April 2017, 08:41 PM
You sure you don't have two problems , or just a radiator overflow ?
Most of the electrics in mine are drivers side and yes it makes many clicks and chirps at times , only noise on left side of mine is the dual solenoid clicking in or out .

jack
8th April 2017, 08:46 PM
You sure you don't have two problems , or just a radiator overflow ?
Most of the electrics in mine are drivers side and yes it makes many clicks and chirps at times , only noise on left side of mine is the dual solenoid clicking in or out .

Best way I could describe the noise was 'bubbling' not radiator related and definitely has some electrics in the rear left quarter panel. Just not sure what they are, assuming rear ciggy lighter and maybe aircon related.

GQtdauto
8th April 2017, 09:17 PM
Sorry I've misunderstood, you say rear left quarter panel I was thinking up front , but rear quarter panel I think you need a priest to do an exorcism , either that or your parking too close to toyotas.
Certainly a strange one , hopefully someone can help .

Hodge
8th April 2017, 09:20 PM
Could this "bubbling" be fuel flowing through the return line ?
Just a stab in the dark really...

But Apollo is right, the left rear panels hide a fair bit of electrics including a very thick loom that in both my 2009 and 2005 Patrols just terminates in a large plug. I have no idea what it does. Rear climate system on the Ti models or something?

Cuppa
8th April 2017, 09:26 PM
This is a job for Yendor.

jack
8th April 2017, 09:28 PM
Could this "bubbling" be fuel flowing through the return line ?
Just a stab in the dark really...

But Apollo is right, the left rear panels hide a fair bit of electrics including a very thick loom that in both my 2009 and 2005 Patrols just terminates in a large plug. I have no idea what it does. Rear climate system on the Ti models or something?

Nah, not fuel related Hodge, 99% sure it's a relay.

Hodge
8th April 2017, 09:32 PM
Nah, not fuel related Hodge, 99% sure it's a relay.

Fair call, I re-read your post and failed to notice the bit when you mentioned that it sometimes goes away with key lock/unlock.
Is yours a ST or Ti ?

As mentioned in my post I had all that area pulled apart on both my patrols and there is heavy wiring looms there, but never seen a solenoid or a relay of any type.

I just thought since the fuel tank is right under there you could be hearing some fuel flowing back into the tank, hence "bubbling" noise.

jack
8th April 2017, 09:37 PM
It's an ST Hodge, I'm going to have a look in the morning and see what's in there. Biggest PIA is that's it's intermittent.

Yendor
8th April 2017, 10:31 PM
The are a few relays that I’m aware of in the LHR quarter panel, there’s two that are part of the rear A/C unit and one for the rear power socket. The power socket relay is mounted at the front of the quarter panel near the seat belt retractor for the passenger LHS second row seat.

The noise isn’t coming from the door lock actuator in the small barn door is it?

Another possibility is a blocked drain tube for the rear A/C??

If the noise is coming from a relay it more then likely won’t be a faulty relay. It will most likely be something electrical that is trying to keep/switch the relay on. Anything electrical been added to the vehicle lately? thermo fans? anything plug into the front cigarette light or power socket?

jack
8th April 2017, 10:58 PM
The are a few relays that I’m aware of in the LHR quarter panel, there’s two that are part of the rear A/C unit and one for the rear power socket. The power socket relay is mounted at the front of the quarter panel near the seat belt retractor for the passenger LHS second row seat.

The noise isn’t coming from the door lock actuator in the small barn door is it?

Another possibility is a blocked drain tube for the rear A/C??

If the noise is coming from a relay it more then likely won’t be a faulty relay. It will most likely be something electrical that is trying to keep/switch the relay on. Anything electrical been added to the vehicle lately? thermo fans? anything plug into the front cigarette light or power socket?

Thanks Yendor,

It's not the door lock, I think your last sentence may be the answer.
I've recently plugged a couple of new USB chargers into the lighter and power sockets. I notice they have led lights in them and once the car is turned off it continues to light up as it's draining from the battery on the dashcam.
Assuming that's just enough power to cycle the relay till the camera battery goes flat. Going out to unplug it now which I have been doing most times, but I know it's plugged in now. I'll keep you updated, this explains why it's intermittent.

Again thanks for your advice, always like reading your replies to others issues/questions. Knowledgeable and always helpful.
Cheers mate

Yendor
8th April 2017, 11:25 PM
Thanks Yendor,

It's not the door lock, I think your last sentence may be the answer.
I've recently plugged a couple of new USB chargers into the lighter and power sockets. I notice they have led lights in them and once the car is turned off it continues to light up as it's draining from the battery on the dashcam.
Assuming that's just enough power to cycle the relay till the camera battery goes flat. Going out to unplug it now which I have been doing most times, but I know it's plugged in now. I'll keep you updated, this explains why it's intermittent.

Again thanks for your advice, always like reading your replies to others issues/questions. Knowledgeable and always helpful.
Cheers mate

Here’s hoping that is the cause of the noise, nice and simple.

Turtle_au
8th April 2017, 11:45 PM
If you have rear AirCon, could be solenoids related to the gas side of that and the associated bubbling is the refrigerant.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

jack
9th April 2017, 02:18 PM
It's not the AirCon turtle, I think I may have misled people by mentioning 'bubbling type noise', that was the easiest way to describe it. It's definitely a relay rapidly switching.
Looks like its resolved after unplugging the USB charger, but as it was intermittent I won't count my chickens yet.

Will let it go for a while yet.

jack
12th April 2017, 10:44 PM
I'm going to call this resolved, thanks Rod (@Yendor)

Hodge
13th April 2017, 01:25 PM
So just curious was it a relay in the end?
Just good to know for the future.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

jack
13th April 2017, 01:29 PM
So just curious was it a relay in the end?
Just good to know for the future.

Yeap Hodge, it was the relay. I misled people by mentioning a 'bubbling noise' for lack of a better way to describe it. Like Yendor said, the relay wasn't faulty.

Hodge
13th April 2017, 02:23 PM
Yeap Hodge, it was the relay. I misled people by mentioning a 'bubbling noise' for lack of a better way to describe it. Like Yendor said, the relay wasn't faulty.
Thanks for clarifying...
Always good to know for future​ reference.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk