PDA

View Full Version : Hi New Patrol Owner

AWM75
5th April 2017, 02:01 PM
Hi All...

Well this is not strictly my first patrol i had an older 89 model a long time ago...........

i just picked up a 2005 GU. The previous owner has not done much to her, just a 2" lift and servicing. She has 205k on the clock. i can see a few things that may need attention including a slight oil leak that that seems to run down near the bell housing.. but other than that all looks good and clean. oh and tires..

I have been poking around on here prior to my purchase so i have been reading a bit ..Is it necessary to add the oil catch can and dawes needle valves or is that a nice to have?

Cheers,

AWM

4bye4
5th April 2017, 02:28 PM
G'day and welcome to the forum mate. I also have a GU4, 2005 model and was told that dawes and CC was not really required on that year, but, i have done it and the performance is much better and worth doing it for that alone IMHO. I can send you the contents of my catch can after say three months if you like and you will be putting one on asap. i don't get a lot of oil in it but what I do get was going into the motor. Regarding your oil running down on the bell housing, believe it or not I had that at one stage and it actually was oil from the intercooler, which are especially designed by Nissan to be porous. Because it is a 2005 model, I think I would go locate and fix oil leak then catch can then egt and boost guage so you can see what your motor is doing now, then NADS and see what your motor does then. Or, if you have the dollars, just do the lot.;)

threedogs
5th April 2017, 04:08 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum,,enjoy

Daveyboyjunior
5th April 2017, 05:05 PM
Welcome!
The little list of mods mentioned, will make a big difference to the attitude of your new truck.
Your Patrol will love you back for it!
Do as I did and just read, read and read again the relevant posts on this forum.
This forum and the guys on it, really are the best resource for anything to do with the Patrol.
Regarding the oil around your gearbox. I had to investigate a leak to, and found mine was the last glow plug seal at the back of the rocker cover, trickling on down and making something small look like a much bigger issue.
Don't forget to block that EGR to!
All the best from sunny England....

GQtdauto
5th April 2017, 06:15 PM
Hello there and welcome to the forum

MB
5th April 2017, 06:17 PM
Welcome aboard mate!

AWM75
5th April 2017, 06:25 PM
thanks all for the warm welcome..

4bye4 thanks for the advise and lessons shared i will have a look at the intercooler - is it special porous alloy or special porous hoses and self loosening clips? i was looking at a catch can just as a play safe and same for the dawes valve..i think i saw a kit for the valve, EGR plate etc so i will order one of those and then gauges and then work out how to mount them...

Daveyboyjunior - i will be checking there as that would make sense - it appears the leak is intermittent as well.....

Cheers all..

Once i am back from the field i will share images of the tank...

AB
5th April 2017, 07:05 PM
Welcome to the forum mate and congrats on the new beast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dhuck
5th April 2017, 07:50 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

AWM75
5th April 2017, 08:34 PM

Found this image on my way out to work - her first trip. Will post in another place as i add things....

no idea why it is upside down?

AM

AB
5th April 2017, 09:11 PM

Found this image on my way out to work - her first trip. Will post in another place as i add things....

no idea why it is upside down?

AM

That's a first. The thumbnail is correct but not the image when loaded up.

Interesting lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM75
5th April 2017, 09:56 PM
lol... and the opposite for me! upside down thumbnail and right way image... blame Apple..