PDA

View Full Version : newbies trapped in Bundaberg

ranger gus
1st April 2017, 11:32 AM
Pretty much newbies about everything here but my boyfriend (Flo) and I (Debs) are super keen on fixing up our amazing old Patrol that we purchased just a few months ago! We're both travelers and currently live in our Patrol (named Ranger Gus). Neither of us had much of a passion for mechanics or 4x4s but this baby is really bringing it out in us. We're currently stuck in Bundaberg and have narrowed down our problem to our MAF sensor, looks like we'll be having to get a new one. If there's anyone in Bundy with time to spare please do contact me, we'd love some advice about the ins and outs of this bad boy. I'd also love trying our MAF on another car of the same model just to be sure our's is shot before we shell out tons of $$$.

Very excited to get to know and receive some knowledge from you guys.

1994 Nissan Patrol GQ RX
4.2L Petrol/Gas Injector
TB42 EFI

MB
1st April 2017, 11:47 AM
Welcome aboard Debs & Flo, I'm sure someone knowledgeable with the MAF sensor caper will be along shorty. In the meantime try having a search through the mechanical sections on the forum with keywords search for MAF. Best of luck folks!

threedogs
1st April 2017, 11:49 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum, hopefully some of the GQ boys can help you out

Clunk
1st April 2017, 01:30 PM
Welcome aboard guys.

How do you know it's a maf sensor issue?

I hate to say it but if you are wanting to find someone close to you to try theirs, then it might be easier to source on the immeasurable amount of patrol Faceache pages. Definitely not saying you 7 can't be helped here though. There's alot of knowledgeable folk on here but not always on.

GQtdauto
1st April 2017, 01:34 PM
My 94 doesn't have a maf sensor , although it's a diesel , not sure they had them in the GQ .

Clunk
1st April 2017, 02:07 PM
My 94 doesn't have a maf sensor , although it's a diesel , not sure they had them in the GQ .
The TB42E certainly did

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2017/04/3.jpg

Fine wire gauze in the front, thin wire that stretches from top to bottom in the middle, plug/sensor type thingy up on the top........ expensive buggers.

Never had an issue with mine though, wasn't on gas either though

threedogs
1st April 2017, 02:08 PM

That was my thinking too, happy to be wrong,,,,again lol

GQtdauto
1st April 2017, 02:58 PM
Thank god I don't have one of them suckers on mine , less to go wrong .

Clunk
1st April 2017, 03:05 PM
Thank god I don't have one of them suckers on mine , less to go wrong .
Ah yes but the mighty td42 os still an expensive fix if stuff goes wrong

GQtdauto
1st April 2017, 03:07 PM
Tell that to my son $9000+ dollars later .

Dhuck
2nd April 2017, 06:24 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

AB
3rd April 2017, 07:06 AM
Welcome to the forum mate and feel free to ask any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hodge
3rd April 2017, 07:55 AM
Welcome to the forum.
For a second I thought, nissannewby was trapped up there after I read the title.

ranger gus
3rd April 2017, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys. Yes, ours is TB42E so does have it. It runs on gas as well and after searching around a bit I've found that this tends to happen on dual fuels of this model.
We were able to check it by seeing if the car would idle with the sensor unplugged, which it did. Wish it could just run without it though!
I didn't think about facebook, thanks Clunk!

JME_GU
3rd April 2017, 02:34 PM
The workshop manual (downloadable from this site) has the procedure for testing the air flow meter but the best way is to find a workshop with a Nissan Consult handset (or cable + software). This will plug in and tell you immediately if there is a problem with the meter and other sensors. I have found the air flow meter to be surprisingly reliable, every time I have suspected a dodgy AFM it turned out to be something different. Maybe check the basics like fuel pump (common failure point) and filter, crank angle sensor, coil, etc.

threedogs
3rd April 2017, 02:34 PM
Dont you check the MAF with a multi meter to see what OHM's it pulls at different revs.
Is it possible to clean your MAF sensor, easy job on the ZD30's

Clunk
3rd April 2017, 06:11 PM
Dont you check the MAF with a multi meter to see what OHM's it pulls at different revs.
Is it possible to clean your MAF sensor, easy job on the ZD30's
Easy enough to remove, but as JME said, these air flow meters are extremely reliable...... I'm definitely no expert though

Col.T
3rd April 2017, 08:14 PM
G'day Debs,
As MB says, search under MAF sensor.
Then, sorry to look like a complete dope but,,,,you HAVE sprayed the MAF sensor with the appropriate spray, haven't you?
Assume you've been real careful drawing it out of the fixing with no fingers in the wrong places etc. etc..
It is, in my experience, one of those fiddly fittings which never goes wrong or is for no obvious reason totally cactus. Bugga!!
God luck,
Col.