PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Garden Mulchers. Does anyone use these?

mudski
29th March 2017, 07:50 PM
Hey Patrollers!
I've been living in the new joint for over a week now and I have come to the conclusion that Im gonna need some sort of mulcher. We have two green wheelie bins that we can put out weekly. I easily filled both in five minutes. I reckon if i had a mulcher I could get a shipload more in. But looking at Bunnings and then on Fleabay the range is massive. Looking maybe at the Ozito one from Bunnings. My concern i it wont cut to the size they say. But then again, 40mm is a decent twig I suppose...
https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-2400w-silent-electric-shredder_p3380292

So does anyone use one of these thing? If so what do you use?
Cheers.

Bacho86
29th March 2017, 07:58 PM
Hey mate good the see the shop is back up and running and hope you've settled in well at the new place!

I borrowed a similar one to yours pictured from my uncle and found it pretty useless for anything but small leaves / twigs etc. wouldn't do any small branches or anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bush Ranger
29th March 2017, 08:11 PM
GF bought a Ryobi mulcher from Bunnings and it`s useless when it comes to green leaves etc, as it clags up, better with dry stuff. It`s the model with the motor underneath and the spout on the side facing down. She was wondering why I was taking a long time in buying one and I told her home work is the first thing you do before buying mulchers. Try to buy a mulcher that is side loading with a chute on the other side to spit out the waste and there are models that have a deflector on the end of the chute to aim the wastage to where you want it to go, so it might make it easier to aim it in to the bin when deflector facing down. I was in the same boat as you Mudski with filling up wheely bins and now I use the garden waste as a mulch when the compost bins gets full. Once composted down, I throw it in to the vege patch and we are lucky to have two or three shopping bags of rubbish in the wheely bin.

TPC
29th March 2017, 08:45 PM
Steer clear of the cheap ones, they are useless, spend the extra money and get a good petrol one.
I have a petrol mulcher with a 6HP motor that I got about 10 years ago and it is brilliant and gets a lot of use.

mudski
29th March 2017, 08:59 PM
Steer clear of the cheap ones, they are useless, spend the extra money and get a good petrol one.
I have a petrol mulcher with a 6HP motor that I got about 10 years ago and it is brilliant and gets a lot of use.

Yeah after some more reading I think a decent petrol one might be better.

MB
29th March 2017, 10:34 PM
Save your coin old mate Mark, trailer those twigs to AB's donk party and you'll sort em out on the bonnie :-)

jff45
30th March 2017, 07:36 AM
I had a Greenberg with a Honda 9 HP engine and the revolving flails. Had a blade on the side for branches up to 19mm.
We quickly got tired of it. Very heavy to move around, etc.
Paid around $2400 for it at the time.
It clogged easily with palm fronds..

I find it much less hassle to throw it all in the trailer and take it to the dump.

mudnut
30th March 2017, 12:13 PM
Whichever one you decide to buy, make sure you constantly check the blades are tight. My Father-In -law found out how much it cost to replace the plate after a blade swung loose and chewed it up within seconds.

threedogs
30th March 2017, 12:37 PM
Mum had a Rover mulcher, POS if you ask me did not like green waste or strappy foliage.
Green waste is free to take to the tip isnt it??. I know mums council will even deliver mulch
for free if you need it

NissanGQ4.2
30th March 2017, 03:21 PM

x2 Don't even contemplate the though of electric, spend more and get petrol power or spend even more and get diesel power like this one: https://www.machines4u.com.au/view/advert/2010-Rayco-RC16-5-Diesel-Wood-Chipper/344171/

Who much mulching / chipping do you see yourself doing??? weekly, fortnight, monthly????

Boinzo
30th March 2017, 04:14 PM
I have one of these. It rocks - for what I use it for.

It really depends on what you are mulching. If you have a lot of palm fronds - these are awesome. Because they don't use a high-speed blade that fibrous palm stuff just wraps around and jams up the whole thing.
I have seen expensive petrol munchers brought to a total standstill by a couple of dry old Golden Cane Fronds!
Instead these cheapie have a "cog" that crushes stuff against a plate - so it kind of cuts stuff into chunks.

Works great on palms. But is kinda crap on really hard stuff. But was nearly half that price when I got it. It's been working great for about 6 years.

So - yeah. I have palms. This thing smashes all the fronds that fall and they fit in the green bin - don't use palms as a mulch they acidify the soil and nothing will grow!

So - it depends. You got big palms?

Hey Patrollers!
I've been living in the new joint for over a week now and I have come to the conclusion that Im gonna need some sort of mulcher. We have two green wheelie bins that we can put out weekly. I easily filled both in five minutes. I reckon if i had a mulcher I could get a shipload more in. But looking at Bunnings and then on Fleabay the range is massive. Looking maybe at the Ozito one from Bunnings. My concern i it wont cut to the size they say. But then again, 40mm is a decent twig I suppose...
https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-2400w-silent-electric-shredder_p3380292

So does anyone use one of these thing? If so what do you use?
Cheers.

mudski
30th March 2017, 04:16 PM
Mum had a Rover mulcher, POS if you ask me did not like green waste or strappy foliage.
Green waste is free to take to the tip isnt it??. I know mums council will even deliver mulch
for free if you need it

Green waste dumping aint free anymore. Hasnt been for a while around here. Our new Council want to charge me $94 for a heaped 7x5 trailer load! Yet they will accept free of charge

Batteries - household, car and mobile phone
Cardboard, excluding waxed cardboard
Clothing in good condition
E-waste e.g. computers, printers, keyboards, screens, hard drives, mouses
Household recycling e.g. hard plastics, cardboard/paper, glass bottles/jars, cans, steel pots and pans and plastic toys
Light globes/bulbs and fluoro tubes
Mobile phones and accessories
Motor oil and containers
Scrap metal e.g. bike, stove, microwave, washing machine, dryer, metal poles, roofing. Note: charges apply for fridges, freezers and air conditioners because of the de-gassing process
Televisions
Dishwashers
X-rays
Go figure.

mudski
30th March 2017, 04:19 PM
x2 Don't even contemplate the though of electric, spend more and get petrol power or spend even more and get diesel power like this one: https://www.machines4u.com.au/view/advert/2010-Rayco-RC16-5-Diesel-Wood-Chipper/344171/

Who much mulching / chipping do you see yourself doing??? weekly, fortnight, monthly????
I'll be mulching weekly mate. We have two small wheelie bins for the green stuff that go out weekly. So I'll be making the most of them.

I have one of these. It rocks - for what I use it for.

It really depends on what you are mulching. If you have a lot of palm fronds - these are awesome. Because they don't use a high-speed blade that fibrous palm stuff just wraps around and jams up the whole thing.
I have seen expensive petrol munchers brought to a total standstill by a couple of dry old Golden Cane Fronds!
Instead these cheapie have a "cog" that crushes stuff against a plate - so it kind of cuts stuff into chunks.

Works great on palms. But is kinda crap on really hard stuff. But was nearly half that price when I got it. It's been working great for about 6 years.

So - yeah. I have palms. This thing smashes all the fronds that fall and they fit in the green bin - don't use palms as a mulch they acidify the soil and nothing will grow!

So - it depends. You got big palms?
Yeah no palms here mate. Thank god. Ugliest plant ever. Especially for down here where it just doesn't suit...We are on a 1700sqm block and a crap load of tree's and shrubs here that need a good trim.

mudski
30th March 2017, 04:23 PM
Looks like I'm gonna have to hold off for now anyways. A funds crisis has just emerged. Off to the angry thread to vent....

Thanks for the tips anyway guys.

Cuppa
30th March 2017, 05:38 PM
I mulched a heap of trimmings & finished sweetcorn plants etc with an ancient 2 stroke Victa mower last year. Laid it all out on the ground & ran over it several times, & spread it back onto the vegie garden. It's all disappeared now, benefiting the soil. Probably not that much more work than using a mulcher.

mudski
30th March 2017, 07:35 PM
I mulched a heap of trimmings & finished sweetcorn plants etc with an ancient 2 stroke Victa mower last year. Laid it all out on the ground & ran over it several times, & spread it back onto the vegie garden. It's all disappeared now, benefiting the soil. Probably not that much more work than using a mulcher.

Haha! I like your style cuppa!

garett
30th March 2017, 07:43 PM
i rake up my hedge trimmings with my lawn mower. small stuff is fine don't try for sticks. holes in feet or doors are not fun.

Kimbo63
30th March 2017, 11:35 PM
I'm with cuppa here mark get a couple of compost bins going you a throwing out good food for your veggies mate

MB
31st March 2017, 04:53 AM
Save your coin old mate Mark, trailer those twigs to AB's donk party and you'll sort em out on the bonnie :-)
EDIT: Actually Cuppa's & Kimbo's advice is best Mark. Trailer those healthy vegies to the donk party so AB & Bob can burn them in their camp ovens with too much coals underneath trivets and no coals on top.

threedogs
31st March 2017, 07:48 AM
I'll be mulching weekly mate. We have two small wheelie bins for the green stuff that go out weekly. So I'll be making the most of them.

Yeah no palms here mate. Thank god. Ugliest plant ever. Especially for down here where it just doesn't suit...We are on a 1700sqm block and a crap load of tree's and shrubs here that need a good trim.

If you ever want any Yucca give me a buzz

mudski
31st March 2017, 08:18 AM
I'm with cuppa here mark get a couple of compost bins going you a throwing out good food for your veggies mate
Totally agree. But. 1. I dont have a veggie garden yet, or a compost bin. And 2, I am filling two bins a week. Theres no way I can compose/ compost that each week. There is seriously a lot that I need to clean up.

If you ever want any Yucca give me a buzz

Whats a yucca?

Winnie
31st March 2017, 08:26 AM
Totally agree. But. 1. I dont have a veggie garden yet, or a compost bin. And 2, I am filling two bins a week. Theres no way I can compose/ compost that each week. There is seriously a lot that I need to clean up.

Whats a yucca?

Make a big compost pile mate. It will take a good 6 months to decompose anyway, then you could store it or sell it if you still dont have a garden. I've got a little compost bin going but have started to do all my composting in the chicken coop.
The chicken manure makes the compost heaps more beneficial.

mudski
31st March 2017, 08:34 AM
Make a big compost pile mate. It will take a good 6 months to decompose anyway, then you could store it or sell it if you still dont have a garden. I've got a little compost bin going but have started to do all my composting in the chicken coop.
The chicken manure makes the compost heaps more beneficial.

Yeah I have a corner of the block where I will start to pile some up for sure. A veggie patch is a must in the near future. I just need to try and get something to mulch it down as there is way too much here that needs to be cut, and way too much here to just keep. I had spotted the other night, a petrol Masport mulcher on eBay for $200. In Weribee. But it sold. I will just save my pennies for now, and cut by hand, and look for a petrol powered jobbie.
Its funny, our bins go out on Sunday night, so just about everyone in the street spends the Sunday arvo doing a yard cleanup and filling their bin. We have two for some reason so better for us.

Winnie
31st March 2017, 09:30 AM
Yeah I have a corner of the block where I will start to pile some up for sure. A veggie patch is a must in the near future. I just need to try and get something to mulch it down as there is way too much here that needs to be cut, and way too much here to just keep. I had spotted the other night, a petrol Masport mulcher on eBay for $200. In Weribee. But it sold. I will just save my pennies for now, and cut by hand, and look for a petrol powered jobbie.
Its funny, our bins go out on Sunday night, so just about everyone in the street spends the Sunday arvo doing a yard cleanup and filling their bin. We have two for some reason so better for us.

Maybe cos you have a bigger block? We get one big green wheelie bin which goes out once a fortnight. Only just enough for grass clippings, lucky we don't have many trees.
The mulcher will still be great even when you are composting, it will speed the process up heaps.

jay see
31st March 2017, 11:30 AM
Your probably got 2 green bins because the previous owner ordered an extra. We did that here, the in laws went from a household of 2 - 6.

mudski
31st March 2017, 12:33 PM
Maybe cos you have a bigger block? We get one big green wheelie bin which goes out once a fortnight. Only just enough for grass clippings, lucky we don't have many trees.
The mulcher will still be great even when you are composting, it will speed the process up heaps.

I think it what Jay see said. The previous owners must have organised it. As next doors block is double mine and they only have one bin. A few less tree's too. This place has NOT been looked after, very over grown.
We have just a few tree's. Lol This pic is of just the front of the house and down the driveway which is really long, I love that. To the right of the pic its really overgrown there. Way too many trees in the one spot, and then there the massive Chinese lantern shrub on the left just past the house which comes out about 2.5 meters from the fence line. This is in the back yard too and massive.

BillsGU
31st March 2017, 04:11 PM
Whatever you decide to buy - I would rent one first from a hire place to see how it goes. I have tried to use these things for years and they are a PITA! They are forever clogging up and unless you spend big dollars - they just don't do the job.

jay see
31st March 2017, 05:50 PM
I like Bills idea, try before you buy.